A few questions about the Edge 2.0

Hi guys, as a new member here I've come to learn a lot in the last few days about the Edge 2.0 and its different versions. I hadn't realized the distinction between the "Indo-Edge" and the "real" 7287 Edge. Yes, I had always noticed the retail Edge jerseys didn't have the double elbows, but I just chalked that up to the on-ice jerseys not being identical, the way it is with most "authentic" sports jerseys. It's good to know that the real mccoy is available, though (albeit at a much higher price point). I still have a few questions about the whole Edge 2.0 situation, though, and I'm hoping you guys can set me straight so I can be a learned member going forward :rolleyes:

1. What are all the differences between the Indo-Edge and the 7287 Edge? I'm aware of the yellow vs. black neck tape, the lack of a neck tag, obviously the Indonesia vs. Canada production, and the double elbows/elbow stitching. Anything else?
  2. You guys talked with surprise about the Penguins new third showing up in the team store as an Indo-Edge, as if they weren't still being produced. But in my experience shopping for Edge 2.0 jerseys here in Chicago, I have only ever seen the Indo-Edge offered. I was at the Hawks game last night, and the only Edge 2.0 jersey they had in the United Center was Indo Edge (and they also had a bunch of Edge 1.0s strangely enough). Is the "real" 7287 Edge supposed to be the only one available to buy now?
  3. When people refer to "retail" 7287 Edge 2.0s, like the ones Jersey Baron sells, are they saying there is still a difference(s) between these and the model the players wear on the ice? If so, what is it?
  4. Were there different versions of the Edge 1.0? Because the two I own are both made in Canada, but do not have the double elbows.
  5. I just noticed on my Toews Indo-Edge jersey (purchased 2013) that the Reebok wordmark on the back isn't sewn down, just pressed on like a replica. But newer Indo-Edges I've seen do have the logo sewn down. Does this reflect changes/improvements that have been made to the Indo-Edge? Or is this just an anomaly?
  6. Lastly, is there a place or places to buy the real Edge 7287, other than on eBay from Jersey Baron?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be up to speed on what I'm dealing with, both as a jersey nerd and as a consumer who prefers to only own the real-real thing. Thanks in advance dudes. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chazberg

What are all the differences between the Indo-Edge and the 7287 Edge? I'm aware of the yellow vs. black neck tape, the lack of a neck tag, obviously the Indonesia vs. Canada production, and the double elbows/elbow stitching. Anything else?

Its made of a much different material as well. Not the same as the Edge 2.0.

You guys talked with surprise about the Penguins new third showing up in the team store as an Indo-Edge, as if they weren't still being produced. But in my experience shopping for Edge 2.0 jerseys here in Chicago, I have only ever seen the Indo-Edge offered. I was at the Hawks game last night, and the only Edge 2.0 jersey they had in the United Center was Indo Edge (and they also had a bunch of Edge 1.0s strangely enough). Is the "real" 7287 Edge supposed to be the only one available to buy now?

The Indo-Edge is not the Edge 2.0, FYI. Those are separate terminologies. Edge 2.0 applies to the Reebok 7287 jerseys only. The reason people were surprised that the Penguins were available in Indo-Edge is that there were rumors that Reebok would stop producing the Indo-Edge and only make 2.0's, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

When people refer to "retail" 7287 Edge 2.0s, like the ones Jersey Baron sells, are they saying there is still a difference(s) between these and the model the players wear on the ice? If so, what is it?

The differences would be the neck tagging (there is simply a Reebok tag that isn't in the gamers) and the double-reinforced fight strap. Retail Edge 2.0's are not something to avoid in regards to these minor differences, however.

Were there different versions of the Edge 1.0? Because the two I own are both made in Canada, but do not have the double elbows.

The Reebok Edge 1.0 is Reebok 7187, and I don't believe there were different versions of it.

I just noticed on my Toews Indo-Edge jersey (purchased 2013) that the Reebok wordmark on the back isn't sewn down, just pressed on like a replica. But newer Indo-Edges I've seen do have the logo sewn down. Does this reflect changes/improvements that have been made to the Indo-Edge? Or is this just an anomaly?

I haven't heard of them not being sewn down before, even on the Indo-Edges.

Lastly, is there a place or places to buy the real Edge 7287, other than on eBay from Jersey Baron?

Some places will have limited stock of some teams through the year. IceJerseys.com, River City Sports, and On Frozen Pond to name a few.

Edited by dsl135

The Indo-Edge is not the Edge 2.0, FYI. Those are separate terminologies. Edge 2.0 applies to the Reebok 7287 jerseys only. The reason people were surprised that the Penguins were available in Indo-Edge is that there were rumors that Reebok would stop producing the Indo-Edge and only make 2.0's, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Interesting, I'll keep this in mind. I had always taken "Edge 2.0" to just mean the Edge 1.0 jersey template with the air knit material, so I thought the Indo-Edge met that criterion. Consider me set straight.

Many thanks for all the info, dsl.

One more question: Are there differences in fit between Indo-Edge and Edge 2.0? I wear a 50 in the Indo-Edge, though it is a bit baggy on me. I'm afraid the sleeves of a 46 would be much too short though...

I just noticed on my Toews Indo-Edge jersey (purchased 2013) that the Reebok wordmark on the back isn't sewn down, just pressed on like a replica. But newer Indo-Edges I've seen do have the logo sewn down. Does this reflect changes/improvements that have been made to the Indo-Edge? Or is this just an anomaly?

I haven't heard of them not being sewn down before, even on the Indo-Edges.

The early Indo-Edges definitely had heat-pressed, non-stitched Reebok wordmark logos. I remember being rather shocked at how cheap they looked. I still have a pic of one of the early Kings road Indos:

image_zps7ba4a0cf.jpg

They are stitched now, so apparently they are making some changes in their construction.

To add to what dsl135 already said about the materials, it seems that virtually every piece of fabric is different between the 2.0 and the Indo. The Indo back mesh panel has a different hole pattern and is not stretchy like that of the 2.0. Even features like the dazzle material used on arm and waist stripes is different- see pics below, with the Kings 2.0 (upper pic) having a thick stripe with metallic silver threads running through it, while the Indo (lower pic) has a thinner material with a finely-textured surface but no silver threads.

image_zps1c9b7f31.jpg

image_zps05bb9e02.jpg

The black airknit portion of the elbow is of course, double thickness on the 2.0 but only single layer on the Indo.

This may sound crazy, but I think that the NHL shields on the Indos are the same ones used on the Premiers, which look slightly different to me than the ones on the Canadian-made 1.0's and 2.0's!

This may sound crazy, but I think that the NHL shields on the Indos are the same ones used on the Premiers, which look slightly different to me than the ones on the Canadian-made 1.0's and 2.0's!

I think you may be right! I compared an Edge 1.0, Indo-Edge and Premiere of mine and the shield on the Indo-Edge definitely looks close if not identical to that of the replica. They're both puffier and fatter than the shield on the Edge 1.0, with less sharp edges.

nhl-shield-comparison_zps1e064316.jpg

I'm amazed that I never noticed all these details, but I guess I was just under the assumption that the Indo-Edge was the only authentic available, so I never thought to question it.

Here's another thing I did always notice about the Indo-Edge Blackhawks away jerseys that drove me crazy: there used to be a ton of them in stores that had the wrong sleeve stripe pattern, which looked the same as the goalie cut jerseys. The black stripes were too fat. When I bought mine I had to shop around quite a bit to find one that was correct. Observe:

KGrHqNHJBcENho7LurBQDqiDURwQ60_12_zps583emery-and-crawford_zps4fda29c3.jpg

Edited by Chazberg

Lastly, is there a place or places to buy the real Edge 7287, other than on eBay from Jersey Baron?

Some places will have limited stock of some teams through the year. IceJerseys.com, River City Sports, and On Frozen Pond to name a few.

I didn't know that Fronzen Pond sells 2.0s and now that I checked them out, I found they're selling Islanders' home jersey I've been looking for. Since there are jerseys with the yellow neck tape, I'd like to know if it's safe to buy one with a picture of a 2.0. The product titles or descriptions don't indicate if it's an Indo or 7287.

I didn't know that Fronzen Pond sells 2.0s and now that I checked them out, I found they're selling Islanders' home jersey I've been looking for. Since there are jerseys with the yellow neck tape, I'd like to know if it's safe to buy one with a picture of a 2.0. The product titles or descriptions don't indicate if it's an Indo or 7287.

Just email Frozen Pond with what jersey you're after and ask if its Edge 2.0 or Indo

Hey Chazberg, do you remember if the 1.0's were red, white, or both that are sold at the United Center?

I only saw white, but it looked like a whole rack. All blank. I'm tempted to go back and snag one myself...

What do you guys think of the stitching on this? Supposedly it was done by the Toronto Maple Leafs customizer, not sure the name of the outfit. it is an Edge 2.0. It looks a little sloppier than the Getzlaf Edge 2.0 I got from IceJerseys in April...

QFNzN8i.jpg

mNuyJVD.jpg

jAFSalZ.jpg

Q7KpFMF.jpg

Edited by y2jdmbfan

The kit may be from Sport Lettering Company (Leafs supplier), but the sewing work likely is not. Lettering houses usually have solid seamstresses for their sewing.

Also, most suppliers do not sew the multiple layers of a layered kit, only the outside one. Saves time, and thread.

Edited by AngeloS76

Also, most suppliers do not sew the multiple layers of a layered kit, only the outside one. Saves time, and thread.

What he said.

Also just to put this out there (though I'm assuming most of you know), City Sports Lettering in Oak Forest IL is the shop that does the Hawks' on-ice jerseys. I use them for all my Hawks jerseys and they're great. http://www.citysportslettering.com

How long does city sports lettering take? Oh and by the way the seller confirmed he made a mistake and that the leafs people did not do the stitching on that one. He pretty much said he wouldn't even sell that and would have to send it to get fixed. I can get a blank edge 2.0 from the seller or I can get it blank and have City sports do it. As far as the nameplate, does city sports do the same for the customer authentics as they do the Hawks? Does anyone know if they double stitch the numbering to the jersey or is it just single stitch? The black stitched to the red and only the red to the jersey or both layers stitched to the jersey?

How long does city sports lettering take? Oh and by the way the seller confirmed he made a mistake and that the leafs people did not do the stitching on that one. He pretty much said he wouldn't even sell that and would have to send it to get fixed. I can get a blank edge 2.0 from the seller or I can get it blank and have City sports do it. As far as the nameplate, does city sports do the same for the customer authentics as they do the Hawks? Does anyone know if they double stitch the numbering to the jersey or is it just single stitch? The black stitched to the red and only the red to the jersey or both layers stitched to the jersey?

They do a single stitch to the jersey. I have a white Toews and a 2009-2010 third Keith I got done there, below are some pics. As far as I can tell the quality is identical as that of the on-ice jerseys. Turnaround is usually 3-4 weeks depending on the season. They do all the customizing work for the Blackhawks Store downtown, so they're usually very busy.

It's also interesting, y2jdmbfan, that the "E" on yours is different than the City Sports version - the middle arm is longer. They must've used a name kit that was slightly off.

IMG_5664_zps7e4ffa3a.jpgIMG_5666_zpse9322707.jpgIMG_5665_zps70a64c9a.jpgIMG_5667_zps11e99143.jpgIMG_5668_zps09b83c40.jpgIMG_5669_zps2d595daa.jpg

Edited by Chazberg

Can city sports lettering do a Blackhawks jersey from the 2002 season?

I'm sure they can, as their site says they've been doing it for 15 years. I once had a conversation with the guy about how the "2" numeral changed after the lockout, and became more symmetrical. So they know their stuff. :thumbsup:

the blackhawks gamers use the reebok edge material for the nameplate, the same stuff the back panel is made of, i stopped in there and he said they use ccm material for the customer nameplates and that drive me away. i ended up finding my own length of edge material and had a keith nameplate made then lettered the jersey myself, i personally think it looks cleaner than the places i usually get jerseys

injd43N.jpg

jIGYYRG.jpg

5x8WyHc.jpg

i prefer triple threat to city sports personally. if you ask for edge nameplates they usually have them and will use them upon request. although, i usually bring my own nameplates.

tts is generally more friendly and personable in my experience as well.