Boston Bruins Third Set Questions

jmw

everything i read about this jersey says it's an edgee 1.0 7187...both the authentic retail version AND the ones worn by the players themselves.

is this true? and if so, are these identical to the "pre-edge 2.0 7287" version of the 7187? or have these jerseys been updated since then? it just seems odd that a team would still use the "old" jersey for their third when their normal home/away jerseys are the latest model.

also, i found this jersey for sale in the boston area (click on photo to enlarge):

any thoughts to it's authenticity? it's definitely not game used/approved (no reinforcment/extra stiching on elbows). but is it a "retail" authentic edge 1.0 7187, as the owner claims?

thanks in advance for helping me out with this...jeff

Edited by jmw
removed attachments

The jersey you posted is a legit 1.0. Btw, the 1.0's that were game-used didn't have double elbows either; there's really no difference between retail and team-issued 1.0's.

What you read about the Bruins players wearing 1.0 alternate jerseys is not really correct. By the 2008-09 season, when the third jersey made its debut, the Bruins had converted almost completely to the 2.0 for all 3 jersey styles. There was only a small handful of players who wore 1.0's after 2008, and there were probably less than 10 game-used 1.0 alternates ever used by the team. The overwhelming majority of them were 2.0's.

Edited by LAK74

thank you! looks like my best bet (for a bruins third) is a gam-worn/game-issued one from the maigreygroup...

Just fyi, the Bruins' 3rd is also currently available for retail as the Edge 7231, which is made in Indonesia. It is labelled as an authentic, although it differs considerably in construction from a 2.0, and it's not what the players wear. But if you value authenticity, you're better off with a GW/GI from MeiGray if you can find one that's suitable for you.

Some time ago, I thought I saw some retail Bruins 2.0 3rds available somewhere, but doing a quick search today I can't find any, so I may be mistaken about this.

i've seen the indo-edge versions as well. such a bummer that they're labeled as "authentic" when they're nothing like the ones actually worn by the players.

thanks for checking on the 2.0 thirds. i've been pretty thorough in searching myself and also can't find any (except from meigray). fyi, people shouldn't assume that all the meigray thirds are 2.0. most are...but a few (from 08-09 and 09-10) are 1.0. you need to call and ask about each specific jersey.

Both of those guys wore 7187 3rds, and the only other player was Marc Savard. 3 other players had 7187 3rds that were GI, not GW- Adam McQuaid, Trent Whitfield and Vladimir Sobotka.