Jersey Foul: wearing a team that doesn't play to a live game?

Calciomania

I've been told numerous times that if I wear a Tom Poti jersey to a Rangers game, Rangers or USA, I would be thrown down a flight of stairs and burned alive.

BWHAHAHA!! That is because Poti was hated in NY more so than Del Zotto..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see nothing wrong with it since it is related to a player in the game. I do find it odd when someone wears a jersey totally unrelated to the game.

WHY??!

never understood this logic. I go to hockey games because im a fan of the sport, not always because im a fan of the teams playing. People are weirdos about this stuff. Get off your high horse.

Edited by IIHFjerseycollector

WHY??!

never understood this logic. I go to hockey games because im a fan of the sport, not always because im a fan of the teams playing. People are weirdos about this stuff. Get off your high horse.

'cause normally fans wear jerseys to support their teams, at their team's events...it's like walking into a charity event for war amputees, but you're rockin a 'fight prostate cancer' t-shirt.

It's all good that you want to support raising awareness for a variety of different causes, but you might want to consider choosing the shirt that matches the event.

WHY??!

Well said. I agree.

WHY??!

Yep, I'm with this too. I very much enjoy seeing random jerseys at games. Maybe it's also because I have jerseys of nearly 90 teams and I don't go to a ton of games, so I'll where whatever I feel like at the time.

I'm a Penguins fan that relocated from Pittsburgh to NJ 6 years ago and have probably seen the Penguins play in NJ about 12 times since (probably losing 11 of those time) and I always wear a Penguins jersey for all to see and have never once had a problem and in fact I don't even really recall many people throwing out the random "Pens suck" at me.

Have been to about the same number of games against the Rangers and about half as many against the Islanders and no problems - even at the epic brawl game which has it's own Wikipedia entry now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Penguins%E2%80%93New_York_Islanders_brawl).

I won't comment on my experiences with Flyers fans.

'cause normally fans wear jerseys to support their teams, at their team's events...it's like walking into a charity event for war amputees, but you're rockin a 'fight prostate cancer' t-shirt.

It's all good that you want to support raising awareness for a variety of different causes, but you might want to consider choosing the shirt that matches the event.

This

I do not mind seeing the odd ball jersey from time to time, but here in Columbus we mostly see the random fake Pittsburgh/Chicago jersey or some guys stained 20 year old beer league jersey at a Blue Jackets Kings game that make me shake my head.

Thanks very much for your answers.

So I think I'll wear my Swiss Biel Kane jersey to the game. It will be unique for me.

But maybe someone have an answer to another question.

Is there a possibility to get autographs from the visiting team around Prudential Center?

Thanks

Manu

I am not sure about that rink in particular, but I know here in Alberta, the pregame skates (if the team is doing one that day) are usually open to the public and free. I am sure if you wait by the hall/bench area where they exit the ice, and there aren't too many other people, they'd be happy to sign something.

I am not sure about that rink in particular, but I know here in Alberta, the pregame skates (if the team is doing one that day) are usually open to the public and free. I am sure if you wait by the hall/bench area where they exit the ice, and there aren't too many other people, they'd be happy to sign something.

I know the Flyers and Devils don't do that. I've been able to get in at the Sabres' arena though.

You may try e-mailing someone in PR for the Blackhawks and ask if you can get in for the morning skate. Then if you can, wait by the tunnel, and usually guys sign whatever you have.

If you have a minor league team with a player of one of the teams or a national team jersey that is blank/one of the players, go for it. I hate it when guys wear a random nhl jersey when it has nothing to do with the game. Like that random guy wearing a Marlins jersey behind home plate at all the World Series games in Kansas City.

• 3 weeks later...

Because you look like you're with the Make A Wish program and it's your special day.

WHY??!

WHY??!

I agree. People are most likely never going to wear a hockey jersey anywhere else but a hockey game. I really don't care if a person wears a jersey of a team that isn't playing on the ice. They are there to watch hockey and celebrate the game so I have no problem what they are wearing (as long as it is not Borat's mankini).

Edited by madflava

You must be using the term "experts" loosely

This issue came up on last night's Wild-Bruins telecast. Either Edzo or Pierre pointed out that someone was wearing a Blackhawks jersey and the lovable Doc said something about how that didn't quite fit. Even the experts don't like it.

I have many different jerseys now and I want to show them all off, so as a Saginaw Spirit season ticket holder, I have 34 opportunities (aka home games) to do that. Some of my jerseys are Saginaw Spirit jerseys, but I can also wear a Saginaw Spirit hat. Some of my NHL jerseys are Spirit players who have gone on to the NHL, so that is in my mind okay too.

I try very hard to avoid wearing a jersey of a team that has similar colors to Saginaw's opponent. No NY Rangers jerseys when Saginaw plays Kitchener or any other red-white-blue team for that matter (Oshawa, Windsor, etc).

The only time it is weird is when the Red Wings are playing that same night and I have accidentally chosen that NHL team's jersey to wear to the Spirit game. It has happened only once so far, and I've checked to make sure it doesn't happen again. They play the Red Wings game on the big screen in the Blue Line Club, so it is relevant.

• 11 months later...

That is so awesome. Not only that they did it, but that they used that meme. Staten Island approves!!

I know this is an old thread but I see no problem with people wearing other teams' jerseys to games. My friends and I have been going on hockey road trips for almost 10 years now to see the Flyers play. We've traveled to just about every arena within an 8 hours drive of Philly. We will usually try to catch another out of town game on the trip and we all wear our Flyers jerseys loud and proud. Sometimes people look at us weird, and say stuff like "wrong game" but we don't care. We just like our team. We're nice people and don't egg anyone on or get attitudes. We just like hockey, and we'll cheer for the home team when they're not playing the Flyers.

This year we'll be seeing the Flyers play the Red Wings for their last season at Joe Louis. Then we're gonna drive to Chicago and see the Hawks play Columbus. You can bet we'll be decked out in Flyers gear, ready for a good time. :)

Edited by jsh139

Only did it once, wore a Devils jersey to a Rangers game. I got harassed constantly and one guy threatened to throw me over the railing down to the next level.

I was ten years old.

Only did it once, wore a Devils jersey to a Rangers game. I got harassed constantly and one guy threatened to throw me over the railing down to the next level.

I was ten years old.

That made me really sad when I read it. That's terrible. What a horrible thing to say to kid. :(