Washing jereys

I know the basic guide to jersey washing but my Hawks jersey us seeming to lose its life. White are getting a bit dark, colors don't pop as much, any tips, favorite detergent? Anything helps

A long time ago I went into Gunzo's to order a jersey and get skates sharpened....while in there talking to the staff about how to take care of my jerseys in walks Lou Varga-one of the Hawks equipment guys and the staff says "Here, let's ask Lou"...

BEST way to wash a Hawks jersey....Woolite....cold water...hand wash cycle...NEVER USE ANY Downy (fabric softener)....immediately take out of the washer and hang dry....

I have been doing that for over 32 years and every one of my 325+ Hawk jerseys still look brand new...

Woolite is a brand.

http://www.woolite.us

I use the same detergent I use for my regular clothes, which has never caused any issues. Its Purex Free & Clear, the one with no dyes and detergents. I already used it because my daughter has very sensitive skin.

I wash it on as gentle a cycle as possible. On my machine, its cold water and low spin. The low spin also helps because it comes out less creased that way. Then I take them out and hang them to dry, and that's it.

My washer is a front loader, with no center agitator, which is also more gentle on your clothes to begin with.

I wash them separate from other clothes, but I do wash 2-3 jerseys together in one shot if necessary.

Never had a single issue.

My colors have never been affected, and we're talking the same colors. What detergent do you use?

OH, I also use the "extra rinse" cycle, to get as much of the soap out as possible.

Edited by mfitz804

So just to make sure before I go on washing my jersey, is it okay to use Gain? Just the original, nothing fancy. I don't want to try to wash my jersey with it and end up somehow ruining the fabric lol.

I've never used Gain but I can't imagine any detergent damaging the fabric really, unless it had bleach in it but that's pretty obvious.

• 2 months later...

I've got a white ultrafil jersey that has a slightly yellowing name bar, is there anything that can be done about that?

I considered just having it stripped and a new namebar put on there but if I can avoid that, it would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

So, just to be clear, my three customized (tackle twill from EPS) jerseys will be OK in the normal wash as long as I hang them to dry? I've used the delicates cycle before when they weren't customized and I want to be sure that that'll still work without damaging the twill.

So, just to be clear, my three customized (tackle twill from EPS) jerseys will be OK in the normal wash as long as I hang them to dry? I've used the delicates cycle before when they weren't customized and I want to be sure that that'll still work without damaging the twill.

Yes, if it came out fine in the washing machine before customization it should be fine after customization.

• 1 year later...