Authentic Jerseys - Price question and where to buy?

scarchelli

Sorry if this is a dumb question..im new to this.

I see I can get a kane authentic from a store nearby for $325 (plus tax) (http://projerseysports.com/collections/nhl/products/reebok-edge-authentic-chicago-blackhawks-patrick-kane-home-jersey). Or $360 from some other sites ive seen (like fanatics) (http://www.fanatics.com/Chicago_Blackhawks_Reebok_EDGE_Authentic_Custom_Home_Jersey_%E2%80%93_Red/partnerid/8429/source/GPA_CA?1360776). Or $300 on here for a blank and $69 to have it customized.

My question is, what's the difference? I want to dive into the authentic scene, as i have none so far.

I believe your first link is a fake. Edge authentics don't have the Reebok wordmark on the end of the sleeve. As far as your question goes, some teams are more difficult to customize than others. A lot of people on here prefer to have their jerseys done by the team supplier, which I believe for the Hawks is City Sports Lettering. You may find someone on here looking to move the jersey ypu want. Deals are possible.

I don't think it's fake, I just think they are someone who doesn't think the buyer is concerned all that much with what they are getting. They show a premier jersey in the first picture and an Indo in the second picture. I think they are a reputable seller, they just know they are selling to bandwagon Blackhawks fans and didn't bother updating their pictures.

The rest of the site specifies premiers though. I've seen a lot of places that sell legit premieres while selling fake "authentics".

I don't know this for a fact, but I have the very strong feeling that if you order from either of the 2 companies whose links you have provided, that you will receive the Indonesian-made Edge version, which we like to call Indo-Edge. These are noticeably different from (and much more widely available than) the jerseys the players wear, which are made in Canada. In the first link it even says in the item description, "Reebok logo on green fabric on inside neck," which is unique to the Indo-Edge. If you order the $300 jersey from the IceJerseys site, you will get the made-in-Canada true authentic Edge 2.0 jersey. IJ also has the Indo-Edge available on sale for $199, but they specifically state what you are getting. The other companies do not, but I'll be willing to bet that you'll get an Indo-Edge if you order from them.

I see. Thanks. What are the difference in indo edge jerseys to edge 1.0 or even 2.0? Is there an faq or something around here? Is it worth avoiding an indo edge? I recall seeing on here to avoid indo edges at all costs.

EDIT: Nevermind, i just read quite a bit on the differences between the 3 edge versions. But peoples opinions here would be insightful. Keep in mind, im not a hardcore collector, so getting a 2.0 isnt totally necessary, it would seem.

Edited by scarchelli

Personally, I have never liked the Indos, and I will never buy one. I don't see the point of spending authentic-level money on something that really isn't authentic. When the Kings road jerseys came out in 2011, I held out for 2 years against buying the Indo, and I was finally rewarded when I got my hands on some team-issued 2.0's. To me there is absolutely no comparison.

I see. Thanks guys for the info. Im now contemplating what size. Is an edge 2.0 smallest size a 52? I could maybe get a 50 but 46 (only in indo?) seems like a better idea since the premier mediums sleeves are long for me. Edge 1.0s dont seem to be available almost anywhere, except a handful on ebay. If 52 is indeed the smallest edge 2.0, it would likely be a dealbreaker. :/

I have an Indo, I wear it around the house, the baby spits up on it a lot. The 2.0s and 1.0s I take real good care of.

LOL, I think that's a fairly good indicator of how you rank them in importance to your collection!

Edited by LAK74

2.0's come in 46 and 50 as well.

I see. I am gonna try on a 46 and a 50 at the place near me. They are only indo edges tho, so definitely not buying anything yet, just want to get the size down, despite an indo being a different cut than a 2.0 i assume.

I recently got an Indo Edge. I'm pretty new to the whole authentic jersey collection as well, so I personally do not see a lot of difference between my Canadian 2.0 and my Indo Edge. I think that the Indo Edge has improved a lot since initial opinions made on the forum because I don't seem to have any problems with a steam pressed Reebok wordmark or a flimsy fight strap.

I may be wrong, but the Indo Edge feels lighter to wear, so might be better for casual wearing. Although, there was one thing that really bothered me about mine. The Indo Edge I got was a Toews away in size 50. They seemed to have stitched the Indian head way too close to the collar so that there was no room to properly place the C. So the only complaint I had about it was that the crest was poorly placed. It was easily fixed, though. I managed to strip the C and put it in the proper place, though it looks a bit crowded in that area because of it.

Edit:

I forgot to make my point after my spiel lol. If you can get it for a good price, I would just get the Indo. I got my Toews one for $150 with the customization already on it, NWT, so it was worth it for me despite being a size larger than what I'd like and the customization mishaps. But if all you can find are $300 Indos, I would rather spend a few extra tens and get the Canadian one from JB.

Edited by PotatoPhun

I called csl in oak forest and theyll customize it for $60 (plus tax, so $65ish) or get a blank from ij and have it customized for $69. Is it going to be that noticeable of a difference for someone like me who has nothing to compare to and am fairly unknowadgleable about authentics? Im referring to the customization, not whether i should get the cheaper indo or 2.0.

Even if you are by your own admission, "not knowledgeable" about customization right now, it doesn't take much time for you to learn about and appreciate the details that are peculiar to your team's jerseys. The problem is that if you send out the same jersey to different customizing companies, there will likely be small differences in the way each company letters it. The letters and numbers will likely have small variations in their shapes, and even the twill textures or colors could vary somewhat. Nameplate materials can be very different as well. If you get it lettered anywhere because you don't care about or are not cognizant of what is "on-ice accurate" now, you may very well later regret not getting it done correctly. This has happened to me as I learned more and more about jerseys and lettering. I have a few authentics that I would have been much happier with had I sent them to the team customizer instead. If I had known then what I know now I would have done it differently in a heartbeat. I can't say I know what's best for you, but if you have a choice now to get it done by the team letterer for the same cost as anywhere else, then at least to me it seems like a no-brainer.

I agree with LAK74. If you have the opportunity to get it done by CSL, I would do so.

That being said, if you're feeling lazy, I personally think that the Hawks letters/numbers don't vary too much between customizers. The biggest thing that would be noticeably different would be the E in Kane's name. The Hawks have a very small middle arm in their E's, but most customizers have the larger ones.

The thing with CSL, though, is that I don't think they have Edge nameplates readily available. You'll probably have to provide them with one, and that'd be an additional $10-15.

One thing I forgot to add. If this is your first experience with authentic sizing and you're not 100% sure how the jersey you ordered will fit, then ordering it blank will give you a chance to verify how well it fits before you get it lettered. If you order the jersey and have it lettered all at once, if it doesn't fit you well, you probably won't be able to return it because almost no one will take back a customized-to-order jersey unless they made some error that was their fault.

I don't know for sure, but I've read from the other posters here that CSL won't necessarily always have Edge nameplates to use. I think most say they have Air Knit material. In that case, true, you don't have to provide a nameplate, but it won't be the same as the Edge material. Most people just send in a nameplate to be safe, I think.

PotatoPhun is correct- I would specifically ask if they will use an Edge mesh nameplate, not just "if they have nameplates."

Very few customizers seem to use Edge nameplates on the Edge jerseys they letter for customers. If you're doing a home Blackhawks jersey, you'll need a red Edge nameplate. JerseyBaron on eBay sells Edge plates in some colors, including red. Hopefully others here already know if it's the right shade of red for that jersey. You can also contact JB directly and I'm sure he'll give you an answer. Once you get the nameplate you can just send it in to CSL along with the jersey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301381831482

I believe that's the correct red for a Hawks home jersey. I don't think the Hawks use a certain kind of red like the Habs do with theirs. I think that Exclusive Pro Sports will be able to provide an Edge nameplate and has the correct lettering as well. However, I've seen a lot of complaints about them (particularly with their service or turnover time), so I would stick with either CSL or Triple Threat Sports, which is owned by a former CSL employee.

Its pretty crazy what ive learned just today since posting this thread. Theres a guy on reddit (coolhockey) whos site by the same name is offering 50% off customization through next month. Although, i dont know if i trust half off a customization. Im leaning toward ordering a blank from here and sending it to csl for customization (whether i get a 2.0 or indo is yet to be decided, i will see them both first at a store near me). I havent called back yet about the edge nameplate thing yet since i am not ordering any time soon.

Coolhockey will most likely use the same type of customization that IJ would use, or most other reputable jersey merchants. It'll be professionally done by a factory who's authorized by NHLPA, but would not have quite the same letters. The only three customizers I know who get the letters exact are CSL, TTS, and EPS. I can take a picture of both my 2.0 and Edge if you'd like for a quick comparison.