Detroit Red Wings lettering

Top: preseason

Bottom: regular season

*and you are crazy

Edited by thebiggoalie

The font on the first jersey is only used during preseason.

Never realized teams did that in all honesty, finally some closure.

I'm pretty sure Detroit is the only team that does that.

I wish the Rangers would do something similar with the smaller, straight name like their 70's-80's era jerseys.

Yeah, Detroit does it for the preseason every year. It's more expensive to make the curved names since they don't all take up the same space on the jersey, so the Wings don't bother since not every preseason player will make it to the bigs full-time.

Isn't it because the Red Wings custom cut each letter depending where it falls in the persons name? IE on an Tatar's sweaters the Ts and As are not interchangeable. So making up those custom plates for everyone in camp would just take entirely too long, so they use the straight plates with that generic font in the pre season to make things easier.

Edited by EdMc28

That was always my understanding. In pre-Edge days, the Rangers always used to heat press vinyl letters onto a nameplate for pre-season, then sew the names straight onto the jersey for the regular season when the roster was set. I presume they still use vinyl names now as it makes a lot of sense.

It didn't actually have any reason to do with cost.

They actually do the two different styles because they wanted it to add more significance when a player plays in their first regular game. Slipping that jersey on in your first regular season game means a lot more because you're not wearing the same jersey you wore in the pre-season.

Yeah, like DC said, the cost isn't much as it is all computerized. They just type a name in and it does the arch by design. In fact, the only reason to believe they do the preseason font (aside from the earning the arched name thing), is because it is its a bit easier to fit on a nameplate and remove it to reuse jerseys for preseason. They had preseason tags dated "2007-2013" on the jerseys I've seen. I would like to think some jerseys got recycled alot, lol.