Rangers Jersey Dilemma... #23 is Drury/Gomez??

Ray in NJ

First off, Thank You Cablevision! Your overpriced cable/internet bills that I have cursed for years have finally payed off! I'm loving life right now, can't even think about going to bed! Stealing Gomez from the Newark Devils was HUGE! Getting Drury even better! woohoo! Now, on to the biggest problem Rangers fans have right now... both wore #23 with their respective teams. With the Ice Jerseys letter/number special, I wanted to be the first fan with #23! But which guy gets it? Help me Ice Jerseys!

PS... Thank yous also go out to Newark for not signing Ralfalski either (good luck next season Marty) and to the Islanders for losing their best player (Blake) as well! The Rangers are #1 in the tri-state area again! All is right with the world.

My guess is that Gomez will get the number. Drury wore 37 while he was in Colorado and also in Calgary. I would have to look it up, but I am guessing when he was traded to Buffalo that someone else already had 37 and he went with 23. So my official guess is that Drury will go back to 37 and Gomez will get 23. Please don't take this as anything but a guess though.

And welcome to the boards.

I think Drury's natural number is 18. I think he wore 37 rookie year, but switched to 18 before being traded.

I would give Drury 23 (and Jagr's C) personally, but it doesn't matter to me.

Sabres lose both captains but I'm oddly pleased... exciting day in the hockey world overall.

Drury wore 37 in Calgary and then switched to 18 after they re-acquired Dean McAmmond that season, so he seems to be good with either one.

Drury has more tenure, that's often how teams determine who gets first dibs on a certain number.

Drury is probably a better captain than Jagr... does he at least get an A, you think?

Drury is probably a better captain than Jagr... does he at least get an A, you think?

If Shanahan doesn't come back then I think Drury gets an A in New York, though I would think to give him the A even if Shanny comes back.

Jagr - C

Straka - A

Drury - A

This is all going off the fact that Jagr, Shanahan, and Straka were the Captain and Alternates last year.

Well, frankly, I think Shanahan will probably come back. He's already stated that he'd take a discount to come back for another year and now that he sees the improvements the team has made, I'm sure that helps the deal. I'd have no problem with giving Drury the 'C', HOWEVER, this would most likely ###### off Jagr fairly bad...especially after he lost his favorite setup guy in Nylander. Let Jagr keep the captaincy and DON'T ruffle feathers. A happy Jagr is a good Jagr!

That's funny, the Rangers haven't changed their website yet...

On the Roster page it shows Drury with the number 23 and Gomez with no number currently.

Thank you all for your help! Drury will get 23. He's likely the one I'll get. Probably won't know about the "A" until September so it looks like I'll be ordering this week! Now the Rangers need to sign Avery, Prucha, and Henrik with the $13 mil we have left under the cap and we'll be set! BTW, Sather said on WFAN this morning that Gomez is perfect for the Jagr line.

Straka, Gomez, Jagr

Avery, Drury, Shanny

Callahan, Cullen, Prucha

Ortmeyer, Betts, Orr

Roszival, Malik

Tyutin, Mara

Girardi, Pock

King Henrik

Put it on the Cup now!

Thank you all for your help! Drury will get 23. He's likely the one I'll get. Probably won't know about the "A" until September so it looks like I'll be ordering this week! Now the Rangers need to sign Avery, Prucha, and Henrik with the $13 mil we have left under the cap and we'll be set! BTW, Sather said on WFAN this morning that Gomez is perfect for the Jagr line.

Straka, Gomez, Jagr

Avery, Drury, Shanny

Callahan, Cullen, Prucha

Ortmeyer, Betts, Orr

Roszival, Malik

Tyutin, Mara

Girardi, Pock

King Henrik

Put it on the Cup now!

Isn't Ortmeyer a Pred now? And what about Hossa? I like Hossa quite a bit.

Oh, and I'll be picking up a Drury Rangers jersey too. And I agree, Brilliant - Drury probably is the better captain but I would NOT mess with Jagr... he's working hard and that only happens when he's content. NYR need to keep it that way.

Straka, Gomez, Jagr

Avery, Drury, Shanny

Callahan, Cullen, Prucha

Ortmeyer, Betts, Orr

Roszival, Malik

Tyutin, Mara

Girardi, Pock

King Henrik

Put it on the Cup now!

Welcome to the boards! I'd definitely go with Drury myself, I think you guys will have many happy memories with him at the helm. Whenever Jagr retires, he'll be perfect to have the C.

He did wear 18 his last season with the Avs before he got traded to the Flames.

Isn't Ortmeyer a Pred now? And what about Hossa? I like Hossa quite a bit.

Oh, and I'll be picking up a Drury Rangers jersey too. And I agree, Brilliant - Drury probably is the better captain but I would NOT mess with Jagr... he's working hard and that only happens when he's content. NYR need to keep it that way.

Good call on Jed. That sucks. He was a fan favorite. And a GREAT penalty killer with Betts. Those two gave up their bodies like no others.

That last spot can go to Nigel Dawes or Marcel Hossa. I'm not the biggest Hossa fan. He was at his best when he was put with Jagr (but who isn't). It's just like Rucchin. The guy was awesome for a five year stretch in the 90s... but not one took into account his linemates were Kariya and Selanne. He wasn't the same anywhere else.

So the 4th line will have a mixture of Betts, Hossa, Orr, Hollweg, and Dawes. Is Immonen still on the team?

Good call on Jed. That sucks. He was a fan favorite. And a GREAT penalty killer with Betts. Those two gave up their bodies like no others.

That last spot can go to Nigel Dawes or Marcel Hossa. I'm not the biggest Hossa fan. He was at his best when he was put with Jagr (but who isn't). It's just like Rucchin. The guy was awesome for a five year stretch in the 90s... but not one took into account his linemates were Kariya and Selanne. He wasn't the same anywhere else.

So the 4th line will have a mixture of Betts, Hossa, Orr, Hollweg, and Dawes. Is Immonen still on the team?

Immonen is RFA. I'd guess they just sign him to a minimum offer and keep him sharing time between the AHL/NHL.

Straka, Gomez, Jagr

Avery, Drury, Shanny

Callahan, Cullen, Prucha

Ortmeyer, Betts, Orr

Roszival, Malik

Tyutin, Mara

Girardi, Pock

King Henrik

Put it on the Cup now!

Whoa! Easy dude. Let's not crown them right now the way a lot of Sabres fans did last year. They can still go 35-36-11 and miss the playoffs. Right now, the Rangers have got to be one of the favorites in the Eastern Conference and there's going to be a LOT of expectations next year. Here's hoping they can live up to them.

No XXL Blue Rangers Jerseys... :(

I meant the template. Many teams have already changed theirs to (team name).nhl.com, like flyers.nhl.com, islanders.nhl.com, etc.

Ah, OK I got ya now.