Serious Jersey Damage, Help Please

Hey Everyone. I've been lurking here for a long time, just got around to joining. I made a big mistake working on one of my jerseys the other day and could really use some help. Sorry for the long first post.

I have a Devils edge 1.0 that I had gotten from Hockey Monkey a long time ago. I had them customize it as well, not knowing any better at the time. After spending time here I started to see all the problems with the job. Everything was kiss cut, and even worse, the numbers were only 9" tall. So I took them off, but not as cleanly as I wanted. When trying to clean up some glue residue with an iron and some paper, I accidentally hit my fingers with the iron, and reacted by pulling back and dropping the iron right onto the jersey. It took me a few seconds to recover and by then the damage was definitely done. I melted about a 2x3" section of the jersey right to the iron and when I moved it the piece came right off still attached.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. The jersey has a little bit of sentimentality to it as it was my first authentic and I've worn it to every game I've been able to go to, so I'd really like to salvage it. The hole is narrow enough to be covered by a number, but where it is means just about any number I choose will either have to be off centered or the two digits will have to be much closer together than normal. I though about trying to get a small piece of edge material and trying to patch it up then worrying about the number over the patch, but I'm not sure if that will even work/be worth the time. This doesn't have to be perfect, just better than it is now.

I've been really racking my brain trying to come up with a solution, so if any of you guys see any possibilities please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.IMAG1077.jpg

Odds are, you're pretty much screwed. The picture is slightly confusing though. What exactly are we looking at? I can't tell where the actual damage is. What is the white piece?

As an aside, the reason this happened is because the residue re-adhered to your iron's face. That crap will bond right back to any material is comes in contact with when super-heated. I don't think this would have happened on a clean space of material; even with the EDGE stuff. I've used BLAZING hot irons on the inside and out of EDGE backs before and have never had issues with it. The key there though is no glue on the jersey. That's why I always turn the jersey inside-out when ironing it. There's no glue on the inside so there's no chance of scorching the material.

Conversely, I actually ended up doing this exact same thing many years ago to a customer's jersey(ugh) because of the same issue. I was trying to take out wrinkles on a gold Vintage Kings jersey and the material just fused right to the iron and pulled out a giant hole in the side. Needless to say, I was FURIOUS and then proceeded to literally throw the iron out the front door.

The white spot is the hole, I cut the melted edged off to make it a bit cleaner. I just threw a piece of paper inside the jersey so that you could see the hole more clearly.

And yeah, I kinda figured I was pretty much screwed. Thanks for taking a look though.

Sew a new number that will cover the hole!

Or, maybe do a zero but put a solid piece of twill as the bottom layer, won't be accurate but at least you could cover the hole and then use it to play hockey in, or hang around the house, etc.

Edited by mfitz804

Conversely, I actually ended up doing this exact same thing many years ago to a customer's jersey(ugh) because of the same issue. I was trying to take out wrinkles on a gold Vintage Kings jersey and the material just fused right to the iron and pulled out a giant hole in the side. Needless to say, I was FURIOUS and then proceeded to literally throw the iron out the front door.

That's why I use the towel!

I went ahead and mocked up a few possible solutions for this. I had intended to turn this into a Zajac #19, so that's what I used. In the first picture the numbers are centered where they should be and you can see the hole showing in two different spots to the top and bottom of the middle piece of the number 9. The second one is with the 9 bumped over to completely conceal the hole, leaving the numbers off centered a bit and too close together.

There is one other possibility. It seems like I could swing a number that ends in a 1 which will be almost perfectly centered and look nice. The issue with that is I think the only number worn in a 1.0 was a 21, and that was Barry Tallackson. Not my first choice.

I guess at this point I need to either go with a 19, order the kit from EPS and see if I can get an extra small piece of red edge material and just do my best on it, or abandon the hope of a correct player on the jersey and go with a 21 or 31 that never wore the 1.0.

Ugh, I wish I just left the jersey alone and spent the extra $15 or whatever it is to have EPS clean it up for me...

IMAG1079.jpgIMAG108001.jpg

That's why I use the towel!

I almost always do, but I had success on a river rats jersey removing a patch that wasn't supposed to be there by using a sheet of paper to melt the glue to it and pull it off. I tried that here and the jersey completely melted to it in just a few seconds of accidental contact. Looking at my first post now it makes it seem like I just had the bare iron contacting the jersey, which I didn't. That's why I was so surprised that it melted. And I mean seriously melted, almost to a hard plasticy consistency, it didn't just pull off because glue bonded to it.

I still dont really believe that I was dumb enough to do this.

You may want to chalk it up to experience, remove the fight strap in case you need it on another jersey or to sell, cut some nameplates out of the back fabric (same on 1.0/2.0), and call it a day! :wacko:

I'm hoping to not have to do scrap the jersey, but if all else fails I guess I will.

Mfitz gave me a great idea though. Sergei Brylin wore #18 in this jersey. If I can get a kit from EPS and then get two smaller pieces of edge fabric to sew onto the back of the holes of the 8, I should end up getting a perfectly centered and good looking wearable jersey. Glad he posted that because I never would have thought of doing it that way.

EPS does just sell kits right? I contacted them but haven't heard back yet.

If the Baron has the red edge nameplates the Devils use then maybe you could use that to fill the holes in the 8.

I think you could probably use the nameplate idea, and then still do almost any number (though you might see a little bit of the nameplate depending on the number).

I think the best numbers to cover it up would be 8 and 0, and then 2, 3, 5, 6, and 9 would all show some small signs of the nameplate probably. 1, 4, and 7 are your worst options for coverage... but it looks like you're not screwed after all.

I have a little bit (~4x4" piece) of red EDGE nameplate material that I can probably spare if you want to go that route, shoot me a PM.

Thanks Guam, but I should ok. Talked to Josh at EPS today and they're making up my Brylin namplate and numbers, should be here in 2-3 weeks. He's giving me a few pieces of extra edge fabric for a few dollars. I'll post the end result here when I get it all finished up.

Thanks Guam, but I should ok. Talked to Josh at EPS today and they're making up my Brylin namplate and numbers, should be here in 2-3 weeks. He's giving me a few pieces of extra edge fabric for a few dollars. I'll post the end result here when I get it all finished up.

Can't wait to see how this comes out!

• 3 weeks later...

Done! So happy with how it turned out. The kit got here and my sewing machine crapped out on me so I had to sit and wait for a new one. Altered the sleeves a bit too. I wear a 52 2.0 so a 54 1.0 wasn't going to work. I'm 6'3" and the sleeves went to the very tips of my fingers. All better now.

I actually considered cutting this jersey up and making some nameplates, so happy I ended up doing this instead. The damage is 100% concealed. The pieces inside the holes of the eight are two separate pieces of edge nameplate that Josh at EPS hooked me up with. You cant really tell at all.IMAG1151.jpgIMAG1155.jpg