Time for the NHL to change their point system

Skid Mark

Since Gary Bettman is insistent on taking all the history out of the game and the shootout seems to be going nowhere. In my opinion winning a backyard skills competition is no way to award an extra point. Winning a breakaway challenge shouldn't be worth the same as if a team beats another in regulation or OT. Its time for the point system to change. Teams should be awarded 3 points for a regulation or OT win. Both teams would get 1 point for a regulation tie and the extra point if it goes to the shoot out. With so many games ending in a tie, its impossible for teams to catch others. Its also not fair for a team to be in the same position in the standings when they have gone to 3 times the shootouts. 2 teams with 50 wins, one has 15 SO wins, the other has only 2. They should be in basically the same place in the standings.

3pts - Regulation/OT win

2pts - Shoot Out win

1pts - OT/Shoot Out loss

0pts - Regulation loss

I agree that it's time to change the system, but in my mind you win or you lose. 2 points for any win, 0 points for any loss period. I don't care if you lost in overtime or a shotout, you still lost the game and don't deserve any points.

I don't understand, why the game ending in a tie isn't a possibility? I also don't like the fact, that now regulation and OT/shootout wins are worth the same. I think it should be 3 points for regulation win, 2 for overtime win, 1 for overtime tie, 1 for overtime loss and 0 for regulation loss. And I don't agree with Krendelev - if the game is tied after regulation, you definitely deserve a point. Not a fan of the shootout, so maybe 10 min overtime instead of the 5 min, with the latter 5 min 3 vs 3?

If we are not going back to the old system where there can be a tie, then I agree with Krendelev. Just give 2 points to the winner. And I say this as a Devils fan knowing full well we have got numerous extra points in the last two years from losing shootouts, not that it did us any good.

I hated the "sister kisser" or tie. I always walked away feeling like I wasted time watching.

I would think a longer OT would be a drag.

I'm one of the few that enjoys the shoot out.
It's kinda like a mini skills competition.

Unfortunately Hockey Bob that is my point, a skills competition has nothing to do with the game. Its something done the Saturday before an all star game or screwing around before a pick up game. It should not be involved with giving points to a "TEAM" sport that has serious consequences whether a million dollar team gets into the post season. Gary Bettmen has done much to make the game "more appealing" to non-hockey fans. Like change the name of the divisions which still pisses me off. Another was making fans that attend the game not feel jipped if the game ended in a tie. If your team loses, isn't that worse?

To Krendelev, I don't agree with 2 for a win 0 for a lose and here is why. That is still putting too much weight on the outcome of a "skills completion" that has nothing to do with the regular game. Its like deciding a World Cup on shoot outs in soccer, I've always thought the teams should take turns doing corner kicks, at least all 11 players are out there for each team to defend or attack. I'm trying to take the weight out of the shoot out. 3 pts for a win at least will make teams try and score in regulation or OT. Your way the team would get 2 pts just cause they got lucky in a shoot out. There has to be a difference between teams winning in regulations vs teams winning in a shootout, your way doesn't reward the teams winning in regulation/OT.

The NHL addressed this a couple of seasons ago. The main reason they won't change any games point value to three points is because it would seperate the playoff pack from the non-contenders way too early in the season (another reason I believe the regulation season should be shorter). Those teams that fall out of the playoff picture by (let's say) January, will obviously lose fan interest for the remainder of the season, and receive much less money from a solid fan base.

I personally have lost interest in the shootout because I also believe any win should be a team effort, not a skills competition.

I get that some don't like the flash of the shootout but really what's on the line?

One point,

So is it better to stand on your feet to watch a mini skills competition and award a one point winner or walk away disappointed because the game was a draw?

I'll take the skills competition.

It's not like every game goes to a shoot out, and really, who has turned off the TV or left the game because they weren't interested in watching it.

I like it and hope it stays.

One problem I'm starting to have with the shootout now is these guys who fly up to the net and then come to a stop and wait for the goalie to bite on a fake. There's no skill in that, hell Victor Fasth just pulled a groin in a shootout last week because he bit on Blake Wheeler's fake. I get it, they didn't completely stop...they coasted a few feet forward at a snails pace but for some reason it just doesn't right to me.

I get that some don't like the flash of the shootout but really what's on the line?

One point,

So is it better to stand on your feet to watch a mini skills competition and award a one point winner or walk away disappointed because the game was a draw?

I'll take the skills competition.

It's not like every game goes to a shoot out, and really, who has turned off the TV or left the game because they weren't interested in watching it.

I like it and hope it stays.

There are plenty of adult sports fans around the world that can handle watching a tie in team sports without needing it to be decided by an individual skills competition. We can handle no one winning the game when neither team has actually done something important like score more goals than the other team to deserve it.

Furthermore, "one point" completely altered the landscape of the 2010 playoffs (aka the year Cubs fans discovered hockey). The Flyers only got into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season by beating the Rags in the SO, as the 7 seed where they got a favorable match up vs NJ, which bumped Montreal down to the 8 seed to a favorable match up against a dumbass who was begging to be outcoached, and knocked the Rags out altogether who would have been in had they won that skills competition.

The NHL addressed this a couple of seasons ago. The main reason they won't change any games point value to three points is because it would seperate the playoff pack from the non-contenders way too early in the season (another reason I believe the regulation season should be shorter). Those teams that fall out of the playoff picture by (let's say) January, will obviously lose fan interest for the remainder of the season, and receive much less money from a solid fan base.

That's a really good point, hadn't thought about that.

So that One point was the deciding factor, not the entire season?

Sorry to 2010 Rangers fans but a lot of teams are watching results for that last point before post season.

It happens whether there is a shoot out system or not.

I get that Guam likes to troll and throw digs and it's always comical.

As an "adult hockey fan" AND Cubs fan I prefer a declared winner and truly do not care of your opinion of me or the teams I follow.

Enjoy your hookers & blow cyber tough guy. Yer so cool!

I'm glad the NHL is progressive in trying to build fan base, ranking behind NBA sucks and having the purest mentality of Baseball that nothing should ever change is crazy.

I guess since we're trying to go backwards, the whistle for 2 line pass and allowing hooking, clutching and grabbing should be revisited as well?
Those all really kept the game going...

The shootout is anything but progressive, it's there to protect the good old boys club (the owners) and reward mediocrity. The 3-point system has been proven for 30+ years to be more effective at increasing offense for multiple sports over some skills competition.

Guest Dr_Puck

I'm in the camp that the system needs to be changed... or more likely, that it will be changed. There are too many unhappy parties with this for the league to not reconsider this.

Before they start changing the points system, I hope the NHL adopts 3 on 3 after 4 on 4. I've attended an AHL and a FHL game (hey, at least the FHL is a pro league) this year and 3 on 3 is a blast to watch. It retains elements of the team game over the shootout and frankly, you see more stretch passes, odd man rushes and a faster pace than even the 4 on 4.

The NHL started the shootout, partially, as a way to enhance the fan experience. The reaction that the NHL wanted to see with the shootout (edge of your seats, loud environment) happens with 3 on 3. For my money and perfectly refined grammar, 3 on 3 on is way more funner than the shootout.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 3 on 3 idea. That would open things up a lot I'm sure leading to many breakaways anyway. I really don't think the shootout is going anywhere. So with that being said, if two teams have 100 points,

Team 1 has 20 shoot out wins - 30 regulation wins

Team 2 has 0 shoot out wins - 50 regulation wins

should they really be tied in points?

Or better yet,

Team 1 wound up with 1 more point over Team 2 making the playoffs, they are clearly not a better team, just better or got "lucky" in a circus style ending. If that is the case then the teams should put a 7' 500lb pro wrestler in goal so there is no room to shoot. I agree with guam, if your such a child that you can't stand to see a tie then go watch Basketball. A game ending in a shootout to me is the same as ending in a tie. Hockey Bob, Hockey will never overtake Basketball because kids in Missouri or North Carolina can't go to their back pond in winter to play pick up. Its a rich kids sport south of the upper States. Plenty of argument can be said that if they would allow the hooking back into the game the concussions would drastically decrease. Serious head injuries have doubled since the rule changes coming out to of the lockout in 2005. The increased speed players carry through the neutral zone is the big reason, because of the two line pass and off puck clutching and interference now being called. Im not saying its bad, some changes are good some are not. If spoiled gluttonous people can't live with a tie, fine, I can live with the stupid shootout, just reward the teams that win in regulation more then the team that has to go to a shootout to win

Hockey Bob, sorry your a Cubs fan, that has to be hard, haha...can you imagine baseball deciding if after 12 innings, the teams are still tied they do a home run derby to decided the winner. Or if Basketball decides to do a slam dunk competition if the teams are still tied after OT? Personally I hate Basketball so they can do whatever, I won't watch. Again, I'm not a huge fan of the shootout but I don't care that much if it stays, people like it, kids like it, fine, but lets not lose site of the bigger picture that it should not be worth as much as a regulation win.

Thebiggoalie made a good point above. Let me throw another wrinkle into this conversation and would somewhat address the lower teams that are behind in points early on in the season, how cool would it be if the bottom two or four NHL teams were relegated to the AHL each year and the top 2 or 4 AHL teams would be promoted to the NHL. That would be cool to see Hershey in the NHL. I know that would never happen but that gives the lower teams A LOT to play for.

Edited by forzzaazzurri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm a 43 year old "child" who likes to watch "stupid circus style endings" and a Cubs fan.
That's one of the joys of having an opinion.

Thanks for the personal attacks my adult fellow members.

P.S. if there is a 7ft - 500lb goalie that steps in I'd watch (while enjoying my over sized lolly and sipping on an Icee)

Hockey Bob, sorry your a Cubs fan,

Personally hate the shoot out and the loser point. Shoot out is an unfair way to end a game. It is a circus act. A game should end in a draw. If no team has done enough to win in the time allotted, tough.

3 for a win
1 for a draw
0 for losing

I echo DJ's words exactly. This may be because we're part of the UK Brigade and have grown up with football and it's 3-1-0 point system for win-draw-lose. I don't get the obsession with simply HAVING to have a winner in every game. I'd rather take 1 point from a draw in which both teams played their hearts out in a 0-0, than go to a shootout after a 0-0 despite destroying the other team, yet their goalie pulls a worldie and they end up winning in the shootout, when you've clearly been the best team throughout the whole game.

My vote goes for win-draw-lose 2-1-0, with a 3v3 OT (like the AHL) after three periods that are tied, then if it's still a tie after OT, both teams take 1 point.

• 3 years later...
On 2/24/2015 at 1:33 PM, mfitz804 said:

If we are not going back to the old system where there can be a tie, then I agree with Krendelev. Just give 2 points to the winner. And I say this as a Devils fan knowing full well we have got numerous extra points in the last two years from losing shootouts, not that it did us any good.

Yes! Thank you.

On 3/7/2015 at 3:37 PM, forzzaazzurri said:

I like the 3 on 3 idea. That would open things up a lot I'm sure leading to many breakaways anyway. I really don't think the shootout is going anywhere. So with that being said, if two teams have 100 points,

Team 1 has 20 shoot out wins - 30 regulation wins

Team 2 has 0 shoot out wins - 50 regulation wins

should they really be tied in points?

Or better yet,

Team 1 wound up with 1 more point over Team 2 making the playoffs, they are clearly not a better team, just better or got "lucky" in a circus style ending. If that is the case then the teams should put a 7' 500lb pro wrestler in goal so there is no room to shoot. I agree with guam, if your such a child that you can't stand to see a tie then go watch Basketball. A game ending in a shootout to me is the same as ending in a tie. Hockey Bob, Hockey will never overtake Basketball because kids in Missouri or North Carolina can't go to their back pond in winter to play pick up. Its a rich kids sport south of the upper States. Plenty of argument can be said that if they would allow the hooking back into the game the concussions would drastically decrease. Serious head injuries have doubled since the rule changes coming out to of the lockout in 2005. The increased speed players carry through the neutral zone is the big reason, because of the two line pass and off puck clutching and interference now being called. Im not saying its bad, some changes are good some are not. If spoiled gluttonous people can't live with a tie, fine, I can live with the stupid shootout, just reward the teams that win in regulation more then the team that has to go to a shootout to win

Don't need shootout wins to break a tie. If two teams are tied with points, then go to wins as the next tiebreak. If tied in wins, go which team has more points head-to-head. 

• 3 months later...

My personal preference, get rid of the points in general.  You win, you win, you lose, you lose.  Only thing about this is I would say that OT and shootout has to change if you are going to go straight wins/losses.

• 3 months later...