Photographing jerseys

Flyers845

One of the favorite things we like to do it seems other than collecting our jerseys is to share them with others. How do you guys take your photos and what kind of camera do you use along with editing software. Just curious because I'd like to take better photos of my collection besides using my iPad camera! Thanks in advance.

Guest Dr_Puck

I've shot jerseys with a Canon DSLR before and it's overkill. The file sizes are huge and it unnecessarily complicates things when it comes to uploading to my computer. I'm not out to win a photo competition, so my iPhone more than does the job.

Regardless of what you use to shoot, having natural light and a plain background obviously works best. I'd love to have hardwood floors for a background ...

I'd be interested in learning about the photo sharing sites that people use here. I've been pretty happy with Imgur so far.

iPhone for everything. Take pics, upload them straight to Flickr with the phone app, and post them here from Flickr.

You can't link photos through the Flickr app but I figured out how to do it from the regular website.

I've used my DSLR and my iPhone and I can't tell which pictures I took with which. So increasingly I use my iPhone.

Plain background is important. If you ever see my pictures, the dark gray tiles are at work, the beige tiles or hardwood floor are at home.

Edited by mfitz804

I use my HTC phone, always been very happy with the results. Darker background, usually my navy blue comforter on the bed. I would use my hardwood but I have 3 dogs and one is all white, so dog hair is a problem.

Then I just upload to photobucket with the mobile website and post here.

Guest Dr_Puck

I've been shooting against a light brown carpet. I've seen the hardwood and dark tile shots and they look great. This is helpful as I will have to use a darker background.

Just checked my Imgur account tonight... Wow I have been posting a lot of photos this year.

I think the shots with the all white background looks best. I'm looking for something that'll take better quality pictures than my iPhone/iPad

I use a Nikon DSLR camera and a light brown carpet for a background with natural light from the front window. My biggest problem is picking up a bunch of my daughters toys everytime I want to take pictures. Someone on here said they used a white canvas, like you would paint on, stretched over a frame as a background and I think that sounds like a good idea. One of these days I'll probably go to the local art store and see about getting something like that.

I use a Nikon DSLR also. I always run everything through photoshop to try to color correct any issues. Currently using the greyish tan carpet in my office.

I've got a spare room in the house I always wanted to set something better up in. Like get some lights and a tripod and a slightly raised surface with a nice off white (light blue or gray) background.

Guest Dr_Puck

My concern isn't hardware or software, it's my pesky cats. I direct your attention to the upper right corner of the pic below. Whatever is used in jersey washing is like catnip to my two cats. I have to scramble to arrange the jersey, shoo them away and then snap the pics.

96T5LkOl.jpg

Edited by Dr_Puck

Guest Dr_Puck

Lol, new picture theme? We have footcake, now what? Catnip?

Hahaha. Challenge accepted my friend. This shouldn't be too difficult. I'm expecting another jersey this week... I'll just grab the obvious photo when my cats do their inspection.

88-89 Blackhawks Savard (rare twill crest) 52 $300

13448715893423-vi.jpg

13448715893461-vi.jpg

'85 Playoffs Only Bruins Bourque 48 $300

photo-vi.jpg

photo6-vi.jpg

89-90 Kings Gretzky 52 $230

osAngelesKIngs8990GretzkyFront-vi.jpg

LosAngelesKIngs8990GretzkyRear-vi.jpg

Something like this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr_Puck

In viewing some of these photos I've come to a conclusion: A lot of you guys live in museums. How is that you have such clean backgrounds?

Well my 15 yr old Camera took a shiiit. I shot a couple of pictures of my 07-08 Coburn with an iPhone 5 and the resolution kills my old camera. There is no way I am retaking pics of the whole collection. My rugs at a light tan. My old camera made them look grayish now the new photo sticks out like a sore thumb. Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr_Puck

One new trend that I've noticed and love is taking photos with the new or showcase jersey hung up against the closet full of jerseys. Check out the post in the it arrived thread by Devilsguy. It's an overhead shot against the great backdrop. Smooth idea that I'll be using from now on.

I pretty much echo everyone else with respect to camera choice. Smartphones (an iPhone 6 in my case) have decent enough cameras that they work for stills inanimate objects. I also have gray carpet in a part of my home that's got a few different lighting options; that usually does the trick.

• 1 month later...

I use a Canon DSLR but agree with everyone about smartphones working well, too. The two most important elements to me is a solid, flat background and good lighting.

I use a light blue ironed bed sheet and stretch it out on the floor with dumbells. I also purchased a set of two lights on Amazon, which were cheap and work well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4YS2XU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Here's a photo of my setup (Pardon the room - I set things up in the room where I display my Florida Gators collection).

19539193595_6607d22a82_c.jpg

And here's the outcome:

19124097928_d78b5f74ec_c.jpg

Edited by Mr2Bits

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Welp, rather than selling my camera, I have decided to photograph all of my jerseys with it. I'm going to put them on a plywood board, with light jerseys right against the board and dark jerseys set against a white sheet on the board. Adding LOAs and taking close up shots of puck marks and Meigray tags. Any recommendations? Suggestions?

I have a couple of jerseys that aren't selling and I think a small reason is the crappy photos my phone takes. Also, it'll be good to do this for insurance purposes. 

Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out. To the extent that neck tags/tail logos do change over the years, you might consider taking pictures of those as well. And obviously, and special patches that may be on there also could add to (perceived) value, so you'd want to do those as well. 

I really need to do my whole collection, but I don't have the energy or patience to lay them all out nicely and take the necessary pictures. Besides, its not like I am going to write a book about jerseys, what kind of freak would do that? 

• 2 months later...
On 08/07/2015 at 7:30 PM, Mr2Bits said:

I use a Canon DSLR but agree with everyone about smartphones working well, too. The two most important elements to me is a solid, flat background and good lighting.

I use a light blue ironed bed sheet and stretch it out on the floor with dumbells. I also purchased a set of two lights on Amazon, which were cheap and work well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4YS2XU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Here's a photo of my setup (Pardon the room - I set things up in the room where I display my Florida Gators collection).

19539193595_6607d22a82_c.jpg

And here's the outcome:

19124097928_d78b5f74ec_c.jpg

Can we see more of your Florida gators room set up ? It looks great! 

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2017 at 7:46 PM, rattlestar said:

Can we see more of your Florida gators room set up ? It looks great! 

Did I ever hit you back on this? Shoot me a PM if not, and I can share more.