Penguins Starter Mesh

vsxeworkingclass

I just joined the boards, and was wondering if anyone had any information on the white Starter mesh jerseys (Robo-Penguin) the Penguins wore. Are they particularly rare? I just got a Lemieux one in the mail yesterday (ebay) and it's my new favorite jersey.

The Penguins' white Starter mesh jerseys were used throughout parts of the 1996-99 seasons. They were made in the USA specifically for team use (as opposed to the retail jerseys, which were assembled elsewhere). They were only used for short periods of time, so they are not particularly easy to find, but they do pop up for sale here and there.

If you picked up that size 54 from the eBay seller in Illinois, that one is a 1997-99 version, which Lemieux did not actually wear, as he retired after the 1996/97 season. But the only differences between the 1996/97 and 1997-99 jerseys are the neck tags and the Starter hem logo.

Thank you for the info. I was afraid of it being the wrong year/season. That is the exact one I bought, but I may end up stripping it now. Any suggestions as to where I could send it to have it customized with the proper kit?

Edited by vsxeworkingclass

Pretty much everyone here will generally recommend that you go with the customizer who lettered the team's on-ice jerseys at the time the jerseys were used. However, I don't know who actually lettered the Penguins' jerseys in the late 1990's.

For this style of jersey I have always used Exclusive Pro Sports. There may be minute differences in some of the letters (like in the size of the holes and notches) compared to the gamers, but these differences are extremely small, and even though I am very picky and detail-conscious about jersey lettering, this doesn't bother me at all. EPS also has the best cutting and stitching of all the customizers I've ever used. Below are some of the jerseys I've had done by them, if you want to see what their font looks like:

2eaa6a66-1e38-474a-baf4-b177a415d16e_zps

francis_b.jpg

DSCN1389.jpg

What LAK forgot to mention is that Starter Mesh is the most freakin' awesome jersey material ever!

They also made a black Starter Mesh version for for 1996-97.

pens_starter_mesh.jpg

As I don't have a Starter mesh, did they also come in smaller sizes like 48 or only player sizes 54-60? Thanks

Probably not. The mesh version was never retailed. It was only produced for on-ice use and I BELIEVE that it was only made for the 1996-97 season. Anything beyond that was ultrafil.

There are mesh gamers with the 1997-99 hem logo (not just leftover 1996/97 stock) that were actually used after 1997.

Does anyone have a picture of the 96-97 version so I can compare it to the one I have?

^ http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1996_97_Robert_Lang_Pittsburgh_Penguins_Game_Worn_Jersey_Photo_Match-5864-154.html

This jersey was used in the 97/98 season but it's the 96/97 model.

Edited by LAK74

I see what you mean about the "Starter" hem logo. What was the difference between the neck tags?

1996/97's had 3 tags including a different (blue) Starter brand tag, as well as a Center Ice tag. This is a 96/97 gamer, but the first set that year was an ultrafil type polyester knit, not nylon mesh like yours.

http://www.classicauctions.net/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=113932

Edited by LAK74

LAK74, you've been extremely helpful and it's greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of turning it into a Jagr, as I would only have to switch the nameplate/lettering and one of the sixes, but I could still keep the captain's patch. Am I correct in assuming that the jersey would then be aesthetically accurate to a '98 home mesh sweater?

LAK74, you've been extremely helpful and it's greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of turning it into a Jagr, as I would only have to switch the nameplate/lettering and one of the sixes, but I could still keep the captain's patch. Am I correct in assuming that the jersey would then be aesthetically accurate to a '98 home mesh sweater?

But, you are assuming if you do so, the 6's will match the 8's. The person doing the 8's may have slightly different material so they may not match.

Better practice is to replace the numbers completely.

Very true. Does anybody generally find that switching a 6 with an 8 works well; due to their similar shape? Should the 8 cover up any residue left behind?

Thanks for the advice! I'm new to getting jerseys customized, so I'm grateful for any help.

As stated above, I would replace all the numbers, but for an additional reason. I didn't want to say this earlier, but all the 6's on that jersey are pretty inaccurate, so if I were you I'd change all of them so that the customization will look better.

Say whatever needs to be said so I can have an accurate jersey! Haha ;)

You would recommend using EPS then?

I don't know about Penguins jerseys, but I use EPS almost exclusively at this point. I'm always happy, though the wait time is sometimes a little long (most I get back in 8 weeks, sometimes 12, and almost never shorter than that).

But their work has always been flawless. Of course, I do a lot of Devils and they do the on-ice jerseys, so it's a no brainer for me. But I have also had them do a Blues jersey (wearing it now) and several All Star jerseys, and they all came out great.

I believe they have no fewer than 11 of my jerseys right now.

I would feel comfortable using EPS on this jersey. They've done around 10 of my Penguins jerseys. I haven't had them do one in this style with a 6 or 8, but I would be pretty confident that they'd come out just fine.

2 things to think about though. 1) I'm not absolutely positive that every Penguins player used a mesh home jersey in 1998/99, so more research is needed to confirm that Jagr used a mesh white. 2) It may be difficult for a customizer to find matching mesh nameplate material, so after stripping the nameplate off, I would also strip off the letters, clean up the plate and save it to be reused- it's more than long enough for a Jagr.

My only concern would be if they would have the proper mesh nameplate to do my jersey.

It may be difficult for a customizer to find matching mesh nameplate material, so after stripping the nameplate off, I would also strip off the letters, clean up the plate and save it to be reused- it's more than long enough for a Jagr.

This is good advice. Although EPS has often had material I needed (red Ultrafil, red Nike Flo-knit, etc), they may not have the right white mesh. You could, of course, e-mail to ask before you spend an hour stripping the letters off the old one.

I had my white Pens team-issue mesh Kasparaitis done there and specifically asked for a Bauer airknit plate because the original plate I stripped off of it was Bauer airknit.

They ignored what I asked for and used a matching Starter mesh nameplate. It looked exactly the same as the jersey material.

So the nameplate that I currently have is the wrong style then? Should it be the airknit?