Nike Announces 8-Year Partnership as Official Uniform Provider of the NBA

CJ Matthews

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/nike-announces-8-year-partnership-as-official-uniform-provider-of-the-nba/#qPPCYXyZsdxkOEGJ.97

Now I'm sure someone is gonna be like "THIS IS A HOCKEY FORUM!!! *rabble rabble rabble*" but... my feeling is this will have an impact on the NHL and hockey in general. With Adidas losing out on the NBA, I believe this means that they will focus more and put more money into keeping the NHL, and possibly pushing for the Olympics and new World Cup of Hockey uniform contracts. Thoughts?

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=7351#entry163282

I don't see Adidas staying in hockey unless they can get it on the cheap. Between Bauer (whom I don't see getting the NHL deal), Nike, and UnderArmour, I doubt it will come on the cheap.

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

I just hope the swift jersey doesn't make it's way to the NHL.

Don't see it happening. Those paper bags won't hold up to the grind of a NHL season and Nike will probably lose a buttload of money if they have to crank out Steiner-number of sets for every single team.

Don't see it happening. Those paper bags won't hold up to the grind of a NHL season and Nike will probably lose a buttload of money if they have to crank out Steiner-number of sets for every single team.

Nick Rash will need to wear 6 jerseys per game instead of three. 7 jerseys if he does an interview.

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=7351#entry163282

I don't see Adidas staying in hockey unless they can get it on the cheap. Between Bauer (whom I don't see getting the NHL deal), Nike, and UnderArmour, I doubt it will come on the cheap.

Unless Adidas wants to invest heavily in CCM, this is just one part of a drawn out cycle. Adidas and Reebok have failed overall in North American team sports. Outside of soccer (their MLS deal lead to some serious coups, including David Beckham), it's been an utter disaster. Fans of college heavy hitters like Notre Dame, Tennessee, and UCLA really grew to hate Adidas uniforms and came to associate their product with an overall drop in relevance by their programs. Their basketball division has struggled for decades to compete with Nike/ Jordan, culminating in failed bets on Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard. Reebok's gridiron gear never resonated with the kids the way Under Armour did. And I don't need to tell anyone here what hockey fans think of Reebok at this point.

I get that every winter but it always clears by May.

And it only shows up once in a while anyway. Rarely does it have breakouts. The big problem is the price you pay to actually keep it.

Adidas will probably focus on soccer. They signed Manchester United and Juventus for the upcoming season, on top of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and many other top teams they already have under contract. These teams all have global appeal whereas hockey is not even comparable. Nike can dominate the big 4 North American leagues and wouldn't matter to Adidas.

...anyone but reebok/adidas getting the nhl deal is a win in my book.

Until Nike forces the trash bags onto the NHL in the same manner than Reebok forced EDGE.

I meant more along the lines of authentics actually being available to the public. If Nike were to get the NHL deal, then there'd be a strong likelihood that the public would be able to buy authentics again.

Reebok/Adidas took authentics in hockey (and recently in basketball) and made them nonexistent. That's why I'm rooting for reebok/adidas to leave.

Gotcha

Still, i think i'd rather have to scrounge around the internet or JB's stock to find something I want rather than have a bunch of jerseys that i don't like readily available

But, again, I like the Edge jerseys more than most and don't mind having to hunt things down here and there

If there's a jersey style that i just can't find, so be it, maybe someone will sell theirs one day and it will be that much more awesome to collect

I've only been collecting for about 2 years now though, so i guess I've never known what it's like to have authentics more available

So, Adidas/Reebok have gone from 4 of the 5 major leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS) to two. With the contracts for the NHL and MLS both coming up soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose out on the entire North American market.

With the money they make off of European soccer teams, I doubt it'll matter. Man (P)U, Juventus, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are probably enough to sustain them for quite a while.

Let's see how happy everyone is when Nike pushes the raincoat jersey on us at $450 a pop instead of $300 for an edge 2.0

No-one says you have to buy the jerseys.

This site only exists because we "have to buy the jerseys".