(How) can I remove paint from a white airknit jersey?

Found a Mighty Ducks ProPlayer authentic on eBay and picked it up cheap. Has some small (hopefully) areas of white paint on the white airknit part of the jersey.

it seems that customizing it will not cover them. I was just curious what kind of solvent might be good for this job and will hopefully get the paint off and not affect the jersey.

I do not know the answer to "what kind of paint is it?".

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goof off, paint thinner, acetone. If those don't work then you are s.o.l.

Agreed

Jersey was $25, figured it was worth a shot.

Who's got Goof Off, Home Depot?

Yup. Lowes or Home Depot.

Thanks, will try to pick it up before the jersey arrives. Can anyone dedcribe the technique to use with Goof Off?

I usually swab on a little with a q tip, let it work for a bit and then use another q tip to clean it up. I've only ever done it with glue, but it should be the same thing.

Whatever you do use that stuff outdoors. The smell from it is horrible and very strong. What I do is put an old white towel on the inside of the jersey where I plan on using the goof off. Then I'll use another old white cloth and wrap it around my finger. Wet it with the goof off and lightly rub the jersey. Try not to go to crazy with it because if you saturate the jersey to much it could leave an outline of where you used it.

After your done let it air out a bit until it dries and the smell goes away and throw it into the wash.

Yeah it stinks. And you will leave an outline if you use to much. Go slow and be careful.

I've used Goof-Off rather copiously on jerseys and haven't had any problem with damage to the material. But if a lot of it comes in contact with your bare fingers or the rest of your hands it can cause some wrinkling of your skin, which later leads to the skin peeling off. So I'd recommend using gloves if you use enough Goof-Off to get your hands wet.

I wouldn't really call it damage, but on white ultrafil I've had a faint outline left from a spot I applied too much on. It's barely visable, but it's still there after at least 3 washes.

I'd prefer that over paint though, so I'd say go nuts.

Step one will definitely be assessing whether the paint spots are under where the name/ number will go. Any spots that will definitely be covered will be left alone. It's gonna be a Niedermayer so that's a lot of real estate that will be covered. At least some of the spots are said to be near the top of the sleeve, no idea where exactly that means.

Seems like a fun project and if it works out, authentic jersey for $25 is pretty cool.

Online (non-jersey related) sources say that if it water based or latex paint, a mixture of one part dish soap and one part hot water can break up paint, and if that doesnt work, rubbing alcohol. I may try both of those methods before turning to something heavier duty.

If it's latex based you may be able to just peel/rub it off. If it's oil based that is gonna be more of an issue.

Seller was unable to tell me what kind of paint it was (of course). I am banking on it being latex, because that's just what most people seem to use in my experience.

I did read also about using WD40 to remove oil based paint, and then using multiple applications of Dawn dish soap to rinse out the WD40. That seems a little crazy to me and I'd be afraid I couldn't get the WD40 stains out.

Yeah skip the WD for that. I have used it to remove roofing tar from my favorite jeans with surprising success, but I wouldn't use it on anything white.

I have been using some muriatic acid to clean some oil spots on my driveway, I'm betting that would do the trick. You don't mind a few holes right?

Edited by JoeM7392

It's air knit, it's hit holes already, few more wouldn't hurt!!

Edited by mfitz804

There are a number of Goof-Off products I haven't tried yet. One of them is the Pro-Strength super glue remover that Hockey Bob raved about in another thread. Another is the "Pro-Strength Remover," which is the one that specifically says it removes latex paint:

image_zpsazjsrkzc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I now own the jersey in question. I tried the Goof Off Pro Strength in the spray can.......NOTHING. However, I was nervous and didn't let it set to long. Good news is I immediately came in and ran hot water over it and scrubbed the he!! out of it. It seemed to have removed some of the surface paint but not the whole thing.

I got the other stains out (non-paint), and I'm determined to get the paint out of it even if I totally ruin the jersey.

I called EPS to see what they could do, and the lady basically laughed at me and said "NO". I was bummed about that since they are or was my backup plan.

So, next step, spray it and let it set for a few minutes. It's tough paint and I do believe it is latex as it is way too pliable to be oil based which if I recall hardens really bad and becomes solid.

ETA: I have a sneaky feeling that Goof Off Pro Strength is acetone based. When I was spraying it, it smells just like it.

Edited by LessThanZero