(How) can I remove paint from a white airknit jersey?

It's mostly acetone and xylene.

So nothing that will kill me too fast, lol.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dropped it off at the cleaners. They said they can get it out, we shall see. If not, I'm only out $5.00 for them trying and it will be back Thursday. If it's clean I'll ask them what they used and post pictures.

I dropped it off at the cleaners. They said they can get it out, we shall see. If not, I'm only out $5.00 for them trying and it will be back Thursday. If it's clean I'll ask them what they used and post pictures.

Wow, I never even considered that while I had it. I totally should have asked my local guy.

Wow, I never even considered that while I had it. I totally should have asked my local guy.

Like I said, we shall see. They seemed confident that they could get it out and the only instructions I gave them is "PLEASE DON'T RUIN THE JERSEY".

I love the Mighty Ducks jerseys, they to me are "fun", one thing I didn't realize was that the ducks bill is 3D'ish. I assumed it was just cut twill like every jersey crest in the free world.

Yeah, some of 'em have a puffy crest. My Koho authentic has that as well.

It's a nice jersey and I hope it comes out good for you!

Good news, jersey is back from the cleaners. Bad news, they didn't get it all out. It's not as bad as it was, the thickness of the paint is gone now it looks like spots of off white on bright white jersey material. I'm not giving up yet, I work in downtown STL and I'm sure a dry cleaner in the city can do better.

THE QUEST CONTINUES..........................................

ETA: Doing a little research it appears that all is not lost. It says to use Isopropyl Alcohol and it "should" break down the remaining paint.

My other options are Turpentine or Paint Thinner. I guess I'll do the alcohol first then work my way up to turpentine then paint thinner.

Edited by LessThanZero

Okay, so I've been using Isopropyl alcohol and tried it on an area. Seems to remove the paint further, however it's going to be a multi-step process of doing it over and over again. I'm reluctant to try paint thinner, but might try a combo of the alcohol and goof off and see what happens.

Basically I took a bowl (cereal/soup) placed it inside the jersey under the area I wanted to clean and just poured the alcohol on it and let it soak for about five minutes. I then rinsed it with hot water and put some dish soap on it and went to town with a soft/medium brush. I don't know if I'll ever totally get it out totally but I'm trying.

I really like the jersey and would hate for it to be ruined and have to try and find another Pro Player Mighty Ducks.....

Oh, the 91% isopropyl is STRONG. My nose is burning, but if you have sinus issues it works wonders.

That's all for now, I'll report back later.

LOL, yeah I thought being rubbing alcohol it wouldn't be bad. How wrong I was, and I didn't wear gloves, wrong again. My hands are super dry now.

There is a dry cleaners over by my work, I'm going to try them tomorrow since they will probably have the "good" stuff. The local one is an environmentally friendly place.

I figure in the end, it will be serviceable or I'll have a cool jersey to hang in a case.

I had some issues with goof off leaving an outline on white ultrafil, and oddly enough, Oxiclean spray got it out.....but it might have just been a coincidence where it just needed a second wash to get all the chemicals out.

I had an early 90's black ultrafil jersey that had an insane amount of glow under the name plate. I doused it in goof off, and it didn't seem to cause any issues, but it might be due to it being black.

Small update. Went by the cleaners today and they pretty much got all the paint out minus one spot. It's become kind of a pet project for them at this point and they want to try and get it out before they give it back. Yes, they showed me the jersey nothing is wrong with it.

So, assuming it was latex paint the following had been done:

mfitz804:

1. I believe he used some hot water and Dawn liquid dish soap?

Me:

1. Goof Off - Cut the paint down to where it looked more like a stain.

2. 1st Dry Cleaners visit - Got most of the paint out, but still

3. Rubbing alcohol - By letting it soak for 5-10 minutes and then using a pretty strong liquid detergent I was almost able to get one of the paint marks out. Still not happy with it.

4. 2nd Dry Cleaners visit - Pretty much got everything out minus one spot.

5. 3rd Dry Cleaners visit - They are giving it another go, I'll know more Friday

Lessons learned: Paint is a holy mother to get out. It's time consuming and I'd let a professional cleaner try first next time. ALWAYS play with rubbing alcohol outside, especially the 91% medical grade stuff, I'll miss those poor brain cells that are now KIA. Not to mention the use of protective gloves when using said alcohol. I believe the rubbing alcohol did a better job cutting through the paint than the Goof Off and was definitely easier to work with. TAKE PICTURES WHILE IN PROGRESS, this was an afterthought and I knew better and should have taken some.

That's all for now, I'll report back later.

Confirmed, I was following a guide that said to start with hot water and Dawn. It was as stupid and pointless as it sounded!

I'm glad they got it most of the way there, hopefully they get it done. If you don't mind my asking, what did a professional cleaner charge you for paint removal?

Confirmed, I was following a guide that said to start with hot water and Dawn. It was as stupid and pointless as it sounded!

I'm glad they got it most of the way there, hopefully they get it done. If you don't mind my asking, what did a professional cleaner charge you for paint removal?

First place was $4.50 second place was $5.00, I expect I'll be charged $10.00 for the two cleanings at the second place. So, I'm out the cost of the jersey, $4.74 for the alcohol, and $8.00 for the goof off. So lets call it $70.00 rounded up at this point, not to bad if it comes out as clean as I think it will.

I've used hot water and Dawn on paint brushes. Makes a hug bubbly mess but it works, but that's fresh paint and not set in like this is.

Okay, I'll post pics later. Looks like all the exterior paint is gone. If you hold it up to a light you can still see it but it looks like its on the inside from where it bleed through. With that being said, it appears that dry cleaners are the way to go unless you have more time on your hands than I do. I'd really like to say I could have gotten it clean on my own, which I believe I could have with the rubbing alcohol but just working on one stain took forever.

I'm happy with it, and I need to figure out a good player to get it all fancy like with numbers and a name.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder, would love to see pics of how it wound up...

Yes, thanks for the reminder. It will be this weekend I have to go to Kansas for work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got time and remembered my password to my photobucket account;

First pic is looking at the jersey with sunlight behind it:

image_zpssb6disfb.jpeg

Second pic is what you would see wearing it:

image_zpsaanpceuc.jpeg

The piling in the second pic is from me using to hard of a brush.

I'm happy.....

Edited by LessThanZero

That's a good job you did there...

Thanks, but I never want to do it again.

Now, here is the big question. During that time period who would be a worthy player to put on the jersey? I've never followed the Mighty Ducks or the current team.