NHL official press release: Adidas to take over jerseys

StayFrosty

1 hour ago, AlereFlammam said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

just a practice jersey... hopefully it doesn't move over to the gamers

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/12/27/possible-leak-of-adidas-nhl-jersey-pops-up-on-ebay/

The important part here is the crest... Yes, that's a screen print. No, it's not exclusive to the Pens, or just practice jerseys. I've been told its a "very nice, high-quality print," for whatever that's worth.

I doubt they carry over the three stripe design to all the gamers, but I haven't heard anything about that. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had honestly just expected them to do what was done for the World Cup of Hockey as far as practice jerseys go, and go with a base template in a variety of colors and just put the teams crest on the front. Really hope this change doesn't take away the hawks chain stitching.

3 hours ago, Jdems93 said:

Really hope this change doesn't take away the hawks chain stitching.

I wouldn't keep your hopes up. Hope I'm wrong, as I agree, I love the detail in the Hawk's crest.

29 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I'm sure some of the Marketing folks argued for that, but I want to think that some of the more traditional teams told them to go pound sand.

I'm sure hoping they did, much like with the Fanatics women's 3/4 sleeve ridiculousness. What worries me is that we haven't heard anything about that yet, and it's almost time to order for next season already. (At least, with Reebok's time frame... Jan/Feb order for a Aug/Sept. delivery without paying rush fees)

16 hours ago, furiousd said:

I'm sure some of the Marketing folks argued for that, but I want to think that some of the more traditional teams told them to go pound sand.

LL would un stitch the Adidas stripes off himself.

On 12/27/2016 at 2:32 PM, Jdems93 said:

Really hope this change doesn't take away the hawks chain stitching.

I cannot imagine a world in which the team would let that happen. They hold that crest up on a pedestal; hell, the intro video they show before every game is the crest being sewn together.

I think everyone should take a breath. It's one practice jersey that surfaced on eBay.

I will actually be surprised if the stripes are on the jersey. I am expecting just the logo to change. 

The practice jerseys are a different animal because in theory, it'll just be the same jerseys churned out for all of the teams, and just the crest will differ. 

Edited by mfitz804

On 12/28/2016 at 3:04 PM, Chazberg said:

I cannot imagine a world in which the team would let that happen. They hold that crest up on a pedestal; hell, the intro video they show before every game is the crest being sewn together.

I think everyone should take a breath. It's one practice jersey that surfaced on eBay.

Eh, I wish that were true. I've had arguments with some in the front office about what is "Good enough" in terms of logo production on stuff. It's hard for me to believe the team will do anything about it when the Director of Merchandising doesn't/didn't (I hope she's learned by now...) know what an "Authentic" jersey is, and cares more about getting lululemon to make stuff to sell... I could go into detail, but it's fairly easy to identify me from my posts and I rather like my job. I will admit, there are a select few who care almost as much as we do, but they may not be in much of a position to say anything -- my hopes lie in the lap of Troy Parchman. 

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I love the detail in the Hawk's crest. But not every team has that same detail & history holding them up from going to a sublimated/screened "light-weight" crest. If the rest of the league does it, why would Adidas make an exception for just one team? And if it provides a legitimate performance benefit, why would the Blackhawks say no, simply for nostalgia's sake?

On 12/28/2016 at 5:22 PM, JunkyardAthletic said:

Was told by an NHL client that the samples they were shown of their new practice jerseys had sublimated logos on them.

Sublimation makes much more sense for a pro jersey. I'm not sure that my source would even know the difference between it and screen printing (hence the "very nice" comment... those were their words, not mine), but I'll try and get them to elaborate.

That does make this ebay one more interesting, though. 

They do that with the adizero soccer jerseys

Replica "climacool" jerseys have embroidered logos.

The on-field "adizero" jerseys have heat pressed logos to keep the jersey as light as possible

Looks like that is coming to hockey

9 hours ago, HockeyMusic said:

The on-field "adizero" jerseys have heat pressed logos to keep the jersey as light as possible

Also as cheap as possible. 

Less cost for heat pressed logos = more profit when selling them for the same price or more than a jersey with a proper crest. 

This is sad to hear and will really put a dent in retro collecting down the road

Heat pressed names / numbers won't strip,

I shoulda never invested my inheritance in seam rippers, worst idea since buying all that stock in pumpkins back in November....   

7 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

This is sad to hear and will really put a dent in retro collecting down the road

Heat pressed names / numbers won't strip,

I shoulda never invested my inheritance in seam rippers, worst idea since buying all that stock in pumpkins back in November....   

" Homer, you knuckle-beak, I told you a hundred times: you've got to sell your pumpkin futures before Halloween! Before!"

2352092104_36202e78d0.jpg

Edited by Devilsguy

Why are we assuming the change of jersey manufacturer will result in a change in customization? The manufacturer has never done the customizing. 

Actually I heard Adidas may do all NHL teams' lettering next season, like in the NBA.  This would mean that team letterers would do nothing but stitch the kits on.

That's a double-edged sword, if true.  On one hand, it makes it easier to ensure that you've got an accurately customized jersey.  On the other, all jersey names/numbers will look so similar.  How boring.

4 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

On one hand, it makes it easier to ensure that you've got an accurately customized jersey.

Actually, I'm afraid the opposite may be true.  I don't think Adidas would make on-ice lettering available for retail jerseys.  They may be complicated in construction like the mesh/twill NBA jerseys, and we may not be able to have access to them.  Something like the "reflective material" situation with last year's ASG jerseys, or the fact that we can't get the laser etching on the Kings' 50th Anniversary jerseys.  I really hope this doesn't happen, but if it does, and Adidas also decides not to sell Canadian-made authentics for retail, this may be the end of modern jersey collecting for me.

23 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I really hope this doesn't happen, but if it does, and Adidas also decides not to sell Canadian-made authentics for retail, this may be the end of modern jersey collecting for me.

I'd probably be in this camp, but for the moment I'll try not to get worked up over rumors.  I hated 1.0's and figured that was it for me and modern jerseys, but Reebok mostly fixed that.

If they do make authentics with correct lettering impossible to obtain, I guess it'll just leave me more money to spend elsewhere. I'll live.

Yup, I won't get too worked up about this yet, as nothing is for certain at this time.  But I can't say I wouldn't be pretty bummed out if it happened though.