A "jersey collecting is an illness" thread.

mfitz804

This year, my son was born and I bought a house. That proved to be somewhat of a cure. Last month I only bought two jerseys (Dave Bolland gamer, Sabres authentic), this month only one (Chicago Bears Elite jersey). I'm so proud of myself ;)

That's like, the opposite of the intent of this thread!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year, my son was born and I bought a house. That proved to be somewhat of a cure. Last month I only bought two jerseys (Dave Bolland gamer, Sabres authentic), this month only one (Chicago Bears Elite jersey). I'm so proud of myself ;)

It's likely just in remission. After I moved to a bigger house, I went a couple years without buying any. Didn't last.

It's likely just in remission. After I moved to a bigger house, I went a couple years without buying any. Didn't last.

Bigger house = more room for jerseys. It was inevitable. Edited by mfitz804

That's like, the opposite of the intent of this thread!!

Don't worry, I still check ebay, Trading Post, Facebook Game Worn Jersey groups, gameworn.us, Fanatics all the time ;)

Guest Dr_Puck

In the bad dumb behavior department, I sometimes bid on something and then hope to get outbid on it. I've had a few WTF bids that I've made during happy hour ... that thankfully haven't won. My last Providence Bruins jersey notwithstanding.

You don't need a house. Just buy size 58+ game worn jerseys and build a tent.

So last week I bought an Eagles gamer that I really didn't have the money openly available to buy. The next day I saw a hockey gamer that I've wanted for a while up for sale and after thinking long and hard since I was already over my head money wise I bought it anyway.

Fast forward until this past Thursday and I sold the Eagles gamer to help pay for the hockey gamer.

Now today I see another football gamer that will be the most expensive of the bunch that I have to have, haha.

The illness is real.

I can't think of any reason NOT to bid on it. It's a beauty!!

Since getting my first team issue 2.0 blank Caps jersey last year, I have been looking to add more and more. Being on a limited budget, makes it kind of hard for me to do, especially the game worn stuff. Looking at Meigray doesn't help either lol. One of these days I'll have a game worn Ovie!

Lets see, half my closet is full. Half the downstairs closet is full. As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm looking at a 2000 All-Star jersey, and St. Louis Blues jersey in a bag to be numbered and lettered and a KOHO 3rd Pittsburgh jersey. Yeah, I'd say that it's an obsession. Oh, and I forgot, I just received my History of Hockey Jerseys book which is sitting next to me....

I need to call my therapist and ask her about this........

I need to call my therapist and ask her about this........

But that's just more money you could be spending on jerseys.

Yep, deffinately had a bit of a problem when I started collecting 4 years ago. It all started when my fiance bought me a real nice replica from the NHL.com store for christmas. I bought a nice display case for it and hung it in my basement.

I don't know what made me think of it, but I went online to see if I could find an autographed number for it...that was the point of no return ?

There was so much available on ebay and I got hooked...plain and simple. I started buying autographed photos, jerseys and sticks. Let me tell you something, having ample Arse time at work combined with ebay is a very dangerous combination.

I was spending thousands on this stuff...little by little, it adds up quickly as you all know.

A couple years after I started buying, I started selling and flipping...I was doing real good with it...making some real good profit, 99% of which just goes back into the hobby. Sell 2 or 3 to buy 1 gem.

The way I fixed the problem was to refine my collection. I stopped with the photos, hardly ever buy sticks anymore...but still enjoy them. I never buy replicas and have sold most of those. I stick to certain players that I grew up watching and admired. The late 80's and 90's is what I like to stick to now, aside from certain players. I stick solely with authentics of Canadian players only, unless I see an insane deal I can use for a flip or a trade.

I wouldn't say I'm completely cured...lol. I still buy quite often but the deliveries to my house have been cut significantly...so I don't get the "what did you buy now?" From the wife as much as I used to.

I've been fascinated by the jerseys as far back as I can remember. As a kid at Brendan Byrne Arena, when I watched the players warm up I didn't focus on the sticks or equipment, but rather on the jerseys they were wearing (the red, white and green jerseys back when I first started watching).

Always had 1-2 Devils jerseys growing up and around the time I was a high school senior I noticed my replica jerseys were not exactly the same as the jerseys and the customers I was using (usually the local sports memorabilia shop) didn't replicate the lettering quite right. This is the start of when I became really anal about how my jerseys looked.

In college is when I started buying replicas and authentics and had a collection of one point of about 75-80ish jerseys. I used to flip jerseys to fund my purchase of jerseys for my own collection and discovered EPS, whom I still use today for my authentics and replicas. However, with the increase of fakes since the introduction of the Edge and the fact that eBay started taking more and more money away from sellers, I slowly started selling my collection to fund my growing hobby of collecting gamers. Been collecting gamers now for about 5 or so years and now strictly collect gamers with the exception of a few replicas/authentics for me personally to wear to games. I have about 15 or so replicas/authentics left these days and the rest are all gamers. I am happy with this as I no longer have to deal with sending jerseys out for customization, losing money on flipping replicas/authentics, and I get more joy out of knowing I own a piece of my team's history.

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread of mine, but it still holds true. 

I just debated for about a month on spending $X dollars on new clothes for work. The people who pay me, and where I make money to pay for food and shelter, among other things it pays for. 

I have never debated more than 5 minutes on spending the same $X dollars on a single jersey. 

SICK!!

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

This is an old thread of mine, but it still holds true. 

I just debated for about a month on spending $X dollars on new clothes for work. The people who pay me, and where I make money to pay for food and shelter, among other things it pays for. 

I have never debated more than 5 minutes on spending the same $X dollars on a single jersey. 

SICK!!

I did the same thing. 

I wore a pair of dress pants with fraying at the pocket edge from keys going in and out for 3 years. Fraying is at least a year old. Added 4 jerseys and some music gear before buying new work clothes last weekend.  ...on clearance of course. I know I'll need that saved clearance  cash for my 2017 World Series Cubs jersey...

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

This thread is classic. All so relatable.

Currently I have 5 jerseys in Canada, 1 in transit from JB and 1 in Michigan that I will collect in October. Oh, did I mention I live in Austraila and have 3 blanks here that need to find their way for customising at some point and the boxes of hidden jerseys the wife is oblivious to? 

I also work in a performance based industry so I make deals with myself that if I can achieve X then I can buy Y jersey or whatever; love the justification. Genuinely need to chill as upcoming holiday has been expensive and I still need to get my game tickets......

Lots of "relates" in this thread.

Having said that, my collection is tiny in comparison to most here but I'm basically chasing things I missed out on in my youth due to geography and lack of funds. I'm trying to stay relatively targeted.

18 minutes ago, redwingsdownunder said:

More relevance. You're in Aus as well right?

Yes mate I am.

Sorry, what was the "more relevance" in relation to?

15 minutes ago, redwingsdownunder said:

Too easy mate, we should maybe team up on JB deals in future.

I was referring to geographical location and lack of funds; it was so hard to get jerseys here for so long

I feel your pain. Might be able to team up yes, though I'm not purchasing that often. Trying to stay focused.

Where are you? I'm in Bris-Vegas. Won't be supporting the Knights though.