A "jersey collecting is an illness" thread.

mfitz804

18 minutes ago, SoNowWhat? said:

Ahhh, I don't see any Edge 2.0 left on IJ so was wondering. I haven't checked all teams. Have my eye on something at MeiGray but not sure if it will still be there when I get to it. That's life though. 

Mine were bought through eBay, it was a better price that way. Make sure you check there too. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Mine were bought through eBay, it was a better price that way. Make sure you check there too. 

Excellent, thank you.

On 8/17/2017 at 9:26 PM, jsh139 said:

I don't have an opinion on which colors are worn home vs away, but I like the dark jerseys a lot more than the whites. White's kinda boring, IMO.

I thought that too, and probably how most align. 

My original direction for collecting was dark jerseys only, Then after I had most covered I started buying the whites.  

Guessing the popular opinion is the dark or color jerseys, it is my belief that the whites are harder to find.
And I have come to find many of the white ones are more beautiful than I originally thought.  

You too will get bitten one day 

3 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

My original direction for collecting was dark jerseys only, Then after I had most covered I started buying the whites.  

Guessing the popular opinion is the dark or color jerseys, it is my belief that the whites are harder to find.
And I have come to find many of the white ones are more beautiful than I originally thought.  

I have 9 white jerseys, so I've got a little bite. And yes, they do look pretty sharp, especially when they're bright white with a contrasting color on the shoulders/sleeves ?

I didn't consider color vs. white when collecting only that I prefer a white jersey for goalies.  I didn't realize it before, but I did a quick count and I only have 9 white as well so only 20% of my collection is white so they probably are a little harder to come by than the colors as Hockey Bob said.

5 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

I concur (I am bitten).

I had a real issue a few years back when everything went black on the "colour" jerseys. Thought it looked rubbish and everyone looked the same. Some teams should have black colour jerseys but not many. My two most recent Ultrafil purchases are both white and am trying to sort another white GW Reebok. When they're well looked after, they really pop. 

When I start collecting something new, I start with colors only. Then when I have those, I add the white.

Then I change my mind and sell them all.

The St. Pats looks outstanding, I still need one. 

Whites still feel a little bit like the home jerseys to me, for the Hawks at least. Some of my all time favorites, though, are whites with contrasting shoulders. Caps, Habs, Rangers, Sabres...

Hmm, it's probably no coincidence that 3/4 of those are red white and blue. It's only the winningest color scheme in modern history...

To get this thread back on track I will confess my illness...

Over the past few months I've been trimming down my collection to a nice round number of 50.  I thought this would make it more manageable with only jerseys I truly enjoy while raising some funds for other things.  Turns out all that freed up jersey money from sales went right back into upgrading what I do have left.  I've done okay selling, but then I look at paypal and see the good amount of funds I did raise dwindle down to nothing on account of a couple batches sent out to Keener, 1 reacquisition, and 5 random purchases of blanks (to upgrade things of course) which only spells more out of pocket for customization.  Reading this thread from start to finish, at least tells me I'm not alone in my illness.  The illness is real.

Edited by JJM4

Is it really an illness? 

As long as you aren't putting yourself or family in financial jeopardy or neglecting responsibility and obligations, is a hobby really that sick? In many ways a jersey collection is pointless but if it means you're excited about something in life and essentially an expert in at least one area, I'd say it's probably healthy. Maybe the constant obsessing and resulting anxiety is bad but...none of us are there, right?...

6 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Is it really an illness? 

As long as you aren't putting yourself or family in financial jeopardy or neglecting responsibility and obligations, is a hobby really that sick? In many ways a jersey collection is pointless but if it means you're excited about something in life and essentially an expert in at least one area, I'd say it's probably healthy. Maybe the constant obsessing and resulting anxiety is bad but...none of us are there, right?...

The short answer is yes. 

3 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Maybe the constant obsessing and resulting anxiety is bad but...none of us are there, right?...

Erm...no?

tumblr_inline_ork4i1enqx1uhgud8_540.gif

18 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Is it really an illness? 

I think it depends on the person.  I have seen instances where the hobby does jeopardizes someone's financial responsibilities outside of jerseys.  I have also seen collectors have a constant merry-go-round of jerseys where they buy jerseys only to sell them a week or two later so they can buy something else (the high of mail day I guess). 

I will admit I probably look at FB way more than I should just to make sure I didn't miss any jerseys for sale that I might want.  It does put a sort of anxiety on you and I am working on getting better about this.  So far....not so good.

On 8/20/2017 at 0:10 AM, mfitz804 said:

When I start collecting something new, I start with colors only. Then when I have those, I add the white.

Then I change my mind and sell them all.

The St. Pats looks outstanding, I still need one. 

I have one, you don't, you just spunk your wages on shite :P

1 hour ago, DJ Rhea said:

I have one, you don't, you just spunk your wages on shite :P

Don't make me come over there and throw all your tea in the harbor again. 

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Don't make me come over there and throw all your tea in the harbor again. 

Everyone knows that coffee > tea anyway.

24 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

I know you wouldn't like a hot piece of crumpet..

And I know you prefer a spotted d!ck!

Edited by mfitz804

Guest Dr_Puck

You know what's a bad sign? Every time I try to type out a text on my iPhone, the auto-type automatically starts filling in terms relating to the hobby ("jerseys," "gamer," "authentics"). Siri knows me better than I know myself. 

55 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

You know what's a bad sign? Every time I try to type out a text on my iPhone, the auto-type automatically starts filling in terms relating to the hobby ("jerseys," "gamer," "authentics"). Siri knows me better than I know myself. 

It could be WAY worse than jersey related terms....