Stretching a shrunken jersey

Hello you fine jersey experts

Just picked up an edge 3.0 practice jersey and the previous owner washed and put it in the dryer -shrinking the jersey.

Any idea on how I can unshrink it?

Thanks in advance!

My mom was famous for shrinking clothes, and she used to say to soak the garment in water and hang it on a hanger completely soaked, the weight would stretch it out.

I do not believe this ever worked one time.

No; in all seriousness, you'll never get it back to where it was. Once the material contracts, that's it. The twill probably all shriveled up too since that stuff isn't a fan of direct heat.

Luckily there isn't any twill. It is completely blank. My guess is that it's an NCAA team issue because of the "advertising" of the reebok logo

I read something about soaking in conditioner and warm water and then stretching it once it's completely saturated. Not sure how well it works for polyester but I'll try that first.

Then if that doesn't work I need to find a fat man to wear my little jersey

Luckily there isn't any twill. It is completely blank. My guess is that it's an NCAA team issue because of the "advertising" of the reebok logo

I read something about soaking in conditioner and warm water and then stretching it once it's completely saturated. Not sure how well it works for polyester but I'll try that first.

Then if that doesn't work I need to find a fat man to wear my little jersey

I'd forgotten that method but I have heard that also. The conditioner relaxes the fibers. They tested it on that "Life Hacks" show, or whatever it's called, and they found it did work.

However, I think that was a cotton garment. Not sure that'd work on a synthetic garment like a hockey jersey.

But, worth a shot.

• 5 years later...