2016-2017 New Jersey Watch

CJ Matthews

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, jsh139 said:

Holmgren says the jerseys will be worn 12 times at home this season.

Oh I don't like that. I assumed they were a one-off, 50th Anniversary celebration game jersey. I liked the gold numbers for that, but not for a jersey being worn that much.

I actually like the gold number idea.  If it is for just this season and they never plan to wear it again, I think it will be a nice touch.

The part that bothers me the most is the collar.  Looks out of place and makes it look like one of those ProJoy jerseys or one of those pseudo-jerseys you see for sale at places like Walmart and Target.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh I don't like that. I assumed they were a one-off, 50th Anniversary celebration game jersey. I liked the gold numbers for that, but not for a jersey being worn that much.

It's their third jersey. It's going to be worn during their Heritage Nights where they honor past Flyers greats. (Cue the jokes)

31 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Looks like a Stadium Series jersey. You know, different, but totally boring as f@ck . 

Then again, an ugly Flyers jersey is nothing new. 

Looks like a guido tracksuit. Perfect for that region and fanbase.

Gold doesn't fit their colour scheme.  Why not take it to the next level and make all the orange parts of the jersey gold too.  Yuck.

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I actually like the gold number idea.  If it is for just this season and they never plan to wear it again, I think it will be a nice touch.

I also feel it depends on the jersey colors, gold wouldn't look good with all colors. But this one, I don't know, it kind of works. I just think it should be a special event jersey, but its not bad. 

13 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Gold doesn't fit their colour scheme.  Why not take it to the next level and make all the orange parts of the jersey gold too.  Yuck.

Then it would just be a Penguins jersey.

10 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Oh, relax, you two.  "Colorway" is a perfectly cromulent usage.  It's more descriptive than just "colors."

Is it? 

"That's a nice sneaker in the black/white/gold colorway."

"That's a nice sneaker in black/white gold."

Same thing!!

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Is it? 

"That's a nice sneaker in the black/white/gold colorway."

"That's a nice sneaker in black/white gold."

Same thing!!

Sure, in that example, it's unnecessary.  "Nike is releasing the new Lebrons in four colorways" is where it's an improvement.  "...in four colors" wouldn't tell you the whole story, unless they were all monochromatic.

14 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Sure, in that example, it's unnecessary.  "Nike is releasing the new Lebrons in four colorways" is where it's an improvement.  "...in four colors" wouldn't tell you the whole story, unless they were all monochromatic.

4 color ways doesn't tell the whole story either, because you still don't know what the colors are. So I would still have to ask "really, what colors?".

2 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Never claimed it did...  But "colorway" does indicate a specific combination of colors, thus it is more descriptive.  In real life, I doubt anyone would be confused by "what color?" as a replacement for colorway/design/scheme/combo/whatever. Unless we're talking about nursing shoes. 

But to fully describe the "colorway", you still have to say what the colors are. There's no difference between "they're black, white and gold" and "its the black, white and gold colorway".

Edited by mfitz804

10 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Ja ja, I think you beat that straw man to death.  ;)

You're making me upset. My face is turning the red colorway!

I'm not a fan. The gold is fine, if a bit overused (though I get the 50th anniversary tie-in).

I don't like that it's white. I don't like the pattern to the jersey itself, where the colors look very blocky and segmented, rather than designed to flow together.

Overall it seems like a very lazy attempt at an anniversary jersey.

8 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

I don't like the pattern to the jersey itself, where the colors look very blocky and segmented, rather than designed to flow together.

That's my biggest problem with the design of the jersey. 

Such a let down. Perhaps its petty of me, but when your biggest rival's main colour is gold, you don't have a gold dominant jersey.

Not to mention the gold looks so out of place with orange. I actually don't mind the logo with the gold outline, its the name, numbers and "C" I just cant get behind

Yes I will still buy one eventually

10 minutes ago, orangecrush8 said:

Such a let down. Perhaps its petty of me, but when your biggest rival's main colour is gold, you don't have a gold dominant jersey.

Not to mention the gold looks so out of place with orange. I actually don't mind the logo with the gold outline, its the name, numbers and "C" I just cant get behind

Yes I will still buy one eventually

But at least it's the shade of gold that the Penguins aren't using anymore. Plus, they haven't used the metallic Vegas gold since the Edge switch.