Game Worn Jersey auction lunacy at game!

khabbi

Was at the Tampa Bay Lightning game last night, and before I got there I was notified of the live auction they were having there and was excited to see a Game Worn 2014-2015 home Callahan Jersey. Much to my amazement, I watched the jersey climb to $3K before the game even started!!

I went over and looked at it, and it was nice... a few repairs and light puck marks, etc. I talked to one of the lady's running the auction and she told me that they had two guys that really wanted this jersey and were willing to pay big money for it. I told her the price it was at was crazy, and she agreed. :blink:

It ended up selling for $3500. Yep, $3500.

For that price, I guess I won't be buying any gameworns for any others that may pop up.. although this is the first game worn I've seen in about a year, and the last one was a game worn Stamkos jersey that sold for about the same price.

post-3985-0-89653700-1450747717_thumb.pn

My friend and i were at the game and my friend actually won that jersey. When she said two guys were willing to go high she probably meant me and my friend. I would never pay that much for a Callahan jersey although seeing it in person it looks really nice just not $3500 nice to me.

Edited by MIGHTY-DUCKS8

A somewhat new-ish gamer collector who seems to be able to grab high end gamers posted late last night a new add of a Callahan 2014-15 game worn. Not sure if your friend and is name Tyler?

Edited by Devilsguy

But for the large part whenever someone complains about Meigray prices I always point out that it could be a lot worse and point to Steiner and this method as exhibits A and B.

When these teams auction these off on the concourse, now you are putting these in front of fans who are not collectors and therefore getting these as expensive souvenirs. They think these things cost thousands upon thousands when in reality the actual value is a lot lower. As a collector it's frustrating and actually rarely helps resale value unfortunately. Plus Tampa jerseys are already hard to collect as from what I hear they only sell either in live auctions or they give gamers as gifts to their higher-end season ticket holders.

A somewhat new-ish gamer collector who seems to be able to grab high end gamers posted late last night a new add of a Callahan 2014-15 game worn. Not sure if your friend and is name Tyler?

Yeah thats him

Must be something in the beer that they serve at the arenas

When I see warm-up gamers go for $2K+ on online auctions, I don't think it's the beer.

As a collector you want to get more people interested in the hobby to keep it thriving and to enlarge the pool of people you can sell to if you need to sell something out of your collection. Downside is you get a lot of the general public who are not collectors and don't have the collector mentality and they drive up the prices on these kinds of auctions.

Yeah thats him

Cool and he does have some really nice stuff. He should consider getting a table at the Meigray expo sometime down the line as I would love to see them in person.

I bought the jersey. Callahan is my favorite lightning player and I don't see those current style jersey often. Expensive yes but I wanted it and it went to the lightning foundation. If anyone wants to meet up I go to most of the games and will be there tonight

He'd look better in Orange & Black.

But the devils need him more. Plus he could come here for a few years and then leave us to go to his hometown team like all our stars do.

And his hometown team is the leafs, so everything would work out.

Lol. And what would he do in Year 2?

He'd have to play somewhere else while they failed to put a team on the ice due to renovations.

400 goals, 300 assists.

Lol reminds me when former Devil Pierre Dagenias was on the Akwesasne warriors of the FHL a few years back. In one season he got 81 goals and 62 assists for 143 points in 45 games lol.

Congrats on getting the Jersey... sorry I made a big deal of it, I just thought that the price was a little crazy. But if it's what you wanted and you wanted it bad, I understand why you paid so much. I don't like to compromise either, and when I want something bad, I'll do whatever it takes to get it also :) I have another hobby that I'll get aggressive with bidding because I know if I don't snag it, I may never get another chance to own one. :)

I didn't make it to the game tonight, I got called out to work.

On a side note, they (the lightning foundation) said they will be auctioning more this season, which is a good sign!

• 2 weeks later...

All 2014-2015 Gamers, home blue.

Boyle- $1500. (I bid really early, dropped out early)

Jason Garrison- $1500.

Tyler Johnson - $938 (probably the best "deal" out of all of them IMO)

And tonight, Anton Stralman sold for $1200 (2015 playoffs jersey)

IMG_4862_zpsg2t3aly3.jpg

IMG_4843_zps72v4brvb.jpg

post-3985-0-32380200-1451800330_thumb.jp

Edited by khabbi

One thing is certain, the Lightning were smart to keep these jerseys and not sell them to Meigray, they are certainly cleaning up on the sale prices compared to what they would get there.

I haven't seen a Witowski yet, so far they are only auctioning the main starters from last year.

And the only jerseys I've seen so far are the Blue home jerseys, no aways or Black 3rds.

Money is going to Charity (Lightning Foundation), and fans/collectors are getting what they want, so it's all good!!

Edited by khabbi

Looking for a Coburn

I have a feeling that one would go for a lower price, but then again, who knows? :) They are only doing one jersey/game, so we may not see a Coburn all season?

How much you willing to pay?