Penner an Oiler

Poor Kevin Lowe.

Overpaying a player in his second season in the league....

Penner/ 4yrs/21.25mil?!?!??

Anaheim gets Oilers 1,2nd and 3rd rd pick next year ( i love Burkes quote " Considering there recent history i am certain they will be great picks")

No offense to Oiler fans o Dustin Penner but he will not put up numbers like he did in Anaheim.

Why?

Hes not on a line w/Perry or Getzlaf

There is no Pronger or Scotty to make the breakout pass ( sorry Sheldon..u arent in the same legue)

I agree that Edmonton massively overpaid for Penner, but as I addressed in the signings thread, to go out and get an RFA you almost have to overpay. Offering a fair market contract gives the rights owning team a simple reason to match, however if you overpay then you make the team think about it. I think no matter who was going to make the offers, you have to give incentive (in a sense) for the team to fail to match. If Edmonton offers only $2 million a year, Anaheim probably doesn't hesitate to match, but by offering $4+ million, Anaheim had to think about, though they probably knew that they weren't gonna match as soon as they heard about the offer.

I agree that Edmonton massively overpaid for Penner, but as I addressed in the signings thread, to go out and get an RFA you almost have to overpay. Offering a fair market contract gives the rights owning team a simple reason to match, however if you overpay then you make the team think about it. I think no matter who was going to make the offers, you have to give incentive (in a sense) for the team to fail to match. If Edmonton offers only $2 million a year, Anaheim probably doesn't hesitate to match, but by offering $4+ million, Anaheim had to think about, though they probably knew that they weren't gonna match as soon as they heard about the offer.

But there is overpaying for a guy like Vanek or Parise and then someone like Penner. Sure you have to give incentives in order to justify going through the process but THAT much for DP? Burke, despite his bellowing did the right thing by letting him go for all of that compensation. If I were an Oilers fan, I would start the weekend at the bar early to forget how this week went.

Nice quote by Burke on the amount.

"If I believe these salaries don't make sense and I match then I'm just as dumb as the team that extended the offer."

"If I believe these salaries don't make sense and I match then I'm just as dumb as the team that extended the offer."

I don't see Penner ever being much better than a 50 point guy. Over $5m a year is a butt-load for a 50 point guy. I don't understand the NHL at all. We have a lockout. The sport almost dies. We finally settle things and get back to the actual sport. See some mild success. Salary cap goes up. Another season. Salary cap goes up. Players like Thomas Vanek and Daniel Briere are making $10m this season and averaging over $7m a year on their contracts while Joe Thornton is making less and Sidney Crosby isn't even getting $10m when his new deal begins (though he has a higher average pay - rightfully). Derek Roy is making $4m a year, despite being pretty much completely unproven. Now Dustin Penner will make over $5m a year. Can you say lockout 09-10? Vanek and Roy played great last year on an ALL offense, 4 line deep, most goals in the league, President's Trophy winning team. Now they will be the top line player, facing all of the best shut-down guys, getting the most minutes against the toughest defenders. There's not going to be any Drury or Briere (and without Briere, to be honest, a lot less Pominville) for teams to keep an eye on. You've got the Roy-Vanek-Afinogenov line. Focus on shutting it down and Buffalo's next biggest threat is Connolly - Hecht - Pominville. Well... no offense to any of those guys, but no one on that line breaks 75 points next year, in my opinion. Maybe not even 65. After that, what? Gaustad-Kotalik-Stafford? I love Stafford but... c'mon. And then Ryan-Mair-Paille? The Sabres have one very threatening line and the rest are decent. No coach is going to lecture about "shutting down the big Connolly line". If teams figure out the R-A-V than Buffalo is done and both Roy and Vanek will be monumentally overpaid.

I agree that the cap has gone up too fast, but when you take into account that the cap is tied entirely to revenues, you end up realizing that the league is doing quite well. The NHL cap is not that far under the NBA cap and they only have 15 players on a roster to pay (though they have many more loopholes that teams are allowed to exploit). Though a part of the revenue increase is due to the strength of the Canadian dollar, and if that ever lapses again then there might be some problems as the cap may actually go down. I don't think there will be a lockout again at the end of the current CBA, but some things might be tweeked a bit.

Also the contract was for 5 years, not 4. So the average comes out to $4.25 million a year.

Ah, I just went with what Villa posted. It's still too much though.

And either way, I feel the cap should stay at around 48m regardless of revenue. If the cap is tied to revenue, and so it's gone up becausing we're making more money, wouldn't we stand to benefit more from keeping the cap at a reasonable number and taking all of that profit to lower ticket prices, run some good promotions to bring in new fans, or just keep our facilities nicer? Why does the cap have to go up just because the league has a good year? There's no reason for the cap to be at $50.3m 2 years after a lockout. What happens if the cap gets to $60m? Where is the challenge in putting together a team for under $60m? You saw my team in our GM game. Look at the callibre players I could afford for under $44m. Not that other GM's would really make a few of the trades I made (they'd probably accept some of them, to be honest though) but the point is, if I could fit Datsyuk, Havlat, Ovechkin, Forsberg, Neidermeyer, Lundqvist under my cap (even after re-signing Lundqvist to a 5.5m extension) than I only stand to lose respect for the jobs that GM's have to do. I realize the immense difference between real life and our game, but the dollar figures are the same. Getting GM's to bite on the deals would be the hard part, but the salary cap is ridiculous. Our 2nd season cap is $1.7m lower than the NHL's current cap and I've managed to be $1.2m under that (basically $2.9m under the NHL's current cap) and I have 3 guys making over $6m and two guys making over $5m.

I love Brian Burke.

ALWAYS calls it like he sees it and always stands by his players.

Anyone rememeber the press conference when he said " Sedin is not Sweedish for hook,trip,punch or slash me."?!?!

Classic.

Although i dont condone the Bert incident he certainly stood up for him when the ENTIRE league and sports media were casting him as the "worst possible person on the planet"

• 2 weeks later...