Meigray Office Robbed

Hollywood Cannon

Haven't seen this posted anywhere and i'm not really sure how reputable Sports Collectors Daily is but I figured i'd post it anyway.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/hundreds-of-game-worn-nbanhl-jerseys-stolen-from-meigray-offices/

Police are investigating the theft of hundreds of NBA and NHL jerseys from the offices of MeiGray Group in Branchburg, New Jersey last month.

MeiGray President Barry Meisel says the company’s Branchburg, NJ office and warehouse was burglarized early on the morning of December 29. While unwilling to place a specific dollar figure on the theft, he pegged the total value of the items stolen in the “hundreds of thousands.”Included are dozens of jerseys belonging to some of pro basketball’s biggest stars including Blake Griffin, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Love, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, John Wall, Dwight Howard, Demarcus Cousins and others. All had been authenticated and tagged.

The vast majority of the items were game-worn jerseys, which had already been authenticated with individually serial-numbered security tags. The jerseys date from games dating back several seasons. MeiGray has partnerships with the NBA and NHL to authenticate and sell game jerseys.

A total of 488 items were stolen during the break-in, including 450 game jerseys, mostly from NBA teams and some used during playoff games. Included on an inventory list of stolen items (available below) were three Bryant jerseys, seven Griffin jerseys, 13 Howard shirts, ten worn by Wall, five each donned by Love, Wade and Cousins, three Steve Nash and four Pau Gasol Lakers jerseys and seven each worn by Kevin Garnett and Chris Bosh. The list of stolen NHL jerseys included two Filip Forsberg, along with jerseys once used by Alex Ovechkin, Steve Stamkos and John Tavares. There was also a signed Wayne Gretzky jersey that was not game worn and several autographed caps worn on NBA Draft night by the top 2015 rookies.

Edited by Hollywood Cannon

Holy hell that sucks if true. Good luck to the guy trying to sell them, it's not like gamers with meigray tagging are going to be hard to track.

They didn't get s*** in terms of valuable NHL jerseys, but it looks like they did for NBA crap. I don't know the value of those but there's some big names there.

Edited by JoeM7392

I hadn't heard about this. Somebody evidently knew what they were looking for, some big names there.

Barry's a good guy, I'm sorry this happened to his business. Good luck on the insurance claim.

Joke's on the thieves. Whatever value they stole in NBA jerseys and NHL goal pucks is cancelled out by the negative value of the Rags jerseys they stole.

They moved back in September. I've been to the new warehouse three times (I live and work 15 min away) and it's nice. It's twice as big as the old one.

I will say this, I am pretty sure this was done by someone who knew them or had fairly close knowledge. Their biggest security is that no one knows they are there. Last time I was there was in Nov and they didn't even have the sign up at their new office (it's across the parking lot from their old one).

They moved back in September. I've been to the new warehouse three times (I live and work 15 min away) and it's nice. It's twice as big as the old one.

I will say this, I am pretty sure this was done by someone who knew them or had fairly close knowledge. Their biggest security is that no one knows they are there. Last time I was there was in Nov and they didn't even have the sign up at their new office (it's across the parking lot from their old one).

Did they announce they were moving? The whole robbery is suspicious. I have no idea how things are laid out in the new space. Maybe what was taken was in an open and available area? To find an expensive hockey jersey you have to dig though hundreds of jerseys and they are heavy. To grab a bunch of NBA jerseys is much easier, they are very light. One has to wonder the thinking on taking the pucks.

They mentioned it soon after the Expo. I don't think they said the words "we are moving" but something more like "we are expanding." He said as much at the end of the clip below from late July/Early August of 2015:

They officially moved in September-ish and its really just across the parking lot. They went from Suite C to F which is in the right back corner of that U-shaped complex (they used to be in the middle on the left side). When I was in the new space I kept thinking how half-empty it looked, but then I remembered that they told me it's twice as large as the old warehouse/offices.

When I was there last there really wasn't anything out in the open in the lobby area. They really didn't have stuff laying around there and set up yet. They were fully moved in and everything was on racks in the warehouse. The NBA jerseys were always kept separate so it was always easy to just go through them as they are all in one spot. The NHL jerseys are separated by season and then team and so that would require more digging.

I was locked into a heated game of Fallout 4.

Oh, that game is great!

• 9 months later...