Read on Jersey Numbers

jjjoejr

When I played as a kid, I was a big Lindrs fan and I wanted #88. One of the guys that had been on the team a couple years wanted it too, so he got it. So I picked #13, kind of just to be weird and because nobody else wanted it. It suited me well.

36. That's how many pennies I pulled out of the can.

I also thought it was cool because no other goalies ever wore #36 back then.

I would add also, we used to target kids who wore star player numbers. If you are going to wear #99, you better be incredibly fast or very tough, because you're gonna take some hits. The logic was kind of "Yeah, you're no Gretzky".

Of course, that was back in the day when the rules allowed contact. I used to hit everyone. Being a 6'2", 200 pound 13 year old, it was kind of what I was expected to do.

It's interesting that the younger stars these days seem to be trying to build their own brand and make certain numbers cool. Guys like Subban, Letang, Holtby definitely have "unconventional" numbers.

Plenty of older stars went that way too, usually double digits. #s 55, 66, 77, 88, and 99 all evoke the memory of certain players.

If I were a star player, I'd try to pick a distinctive number too.

My best friend in high school was dared to pick #69, which he did and he wore for 4 years, much to his parents' horror.

Started out with #9, cuz my first favorite player was Dainius Zubrus. I still always have a soft spot for any Flyer who wears it too.

But for the majority of my life it's been #97 cuz of Roenick. Funny thing is... it used to be that when I would pick it as a number it was "cuz of Roenick" but now, I actually associate it more as my own number. I don't really think of the Roenick connection that much anymore.

I love 5. I use it in my beer league teams.

Ha we had a rec game couple of weeks back I was given the number 5 jersey (I haven't bought my own yet) I refused to wear it as I don't like 5. I had 19 instead, anyway when I do get a jersey made up I'm going for 47 due to that man Komarov, when I first started watching the Leafs properly he was the first player that stood out for me.