Would like to introduce myself (and ask for opinions..)

kygermo

*If this topic is in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance.

Hello everyone!

So, I'm new to this (very informative) site. I stumbled upon this place after I did a Google search on how to spot fake jerseys. I'm new to the jersey world. I have a whopping total of two Flyers premier jerseys (a blank 08-10 black alternate and a Max Talbot Winter Classic). I learned very quickly on here that A: Premiers are not very well-liked at all and B: There's A LOT of fakes on ebay. As much as I love hockey and as much as I admire a handsome looking jersey, I simply can't afford to shell out the absurd amount of money for authentics. Yes, I understand the quality is off the charts and that there's a sense of pride owning one, but my wallet thinks otherwise.

While I identify myself as a Flyers fan first and foremost, I also admire and appreciate other teams and players, and I appreciate them enough to seek out their sweaters. I'm a huge fan of the Hawks 09 WC sweater, and have wanted one for years. I actually found myself on Jersey Baron's store a couple days ago before I found this place, and it was interesting to see the man's near immaculate reputation here. And while he has those Hawks sweaters in stock, I can't say I'm a big enough fan of Chicago to buy one, especially since I feel it's only right to get a Flyers sweater as my first authentic. And since I cant track down a premier WC of theirs (unless somebody here has one they would like to sell... :thumbsup: ), I found an alternative: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONATHAN-TOEWS-19-CHICAGO-BLACKHAWKS-2009-WINTER-CLASSIC-JERSEY-WRIGLEY-FIELD-/111883611306?hash=item1a0cc86caa:g:47YAAOSw-zxWo5Gh

Now obviously I know it's a bit silly to present a fake jersey to a group of people who own real-deal stuff. However, what I wanted to know from whomever chimes in is, well, just how bad of a fake is it? Just how foolish would you think I am if you saw me on the street wearing it? There's obvious signs on it that shows its fakeness (the stitching on the crest, the shield underneath the laces, not the correct "C", the W on the back), but its VERY tempting since it's only $88. I'm ready to buy it right now, but I think I did the correct thing in getting everyone's opinions here first. Please help! And btw, let me say again that if anybody has a premier on here they wouldn't mind parting with, please keep me in mind (don't really care who's on the back to an extent..)

Also, I'm very interested in the Kings 2014 SS sweaters too, but those are ###### near impossible to find.

Thank you in advance and thank you for being so very very informative. I did a crash course on learning all things authentic on here last night for many hours.

Edited by kygermo

You'll find that the opinion of everyone here is that any fake is a bad fake.

Oh no, I picked up on that very quickly. But maybe what I should have really asked is where does this one rank in terms of bad fakes you've seen.

That thing is brutal. Please don't buy it.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Thank you, and thank you for your honesty. And if you think that one is brutal, check this kings SS out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonathan-Quick-L-A-Kings-Stadium-Series-2014-Jersey-/182009272812?hash=item2a609919ec:g:NVUAAOSwLN5WlxG1

Now clearly I don't know anything at all really about this sort of stuff (which is why I joined), but that one is just an insult to all senses.

Stick around and you'll hate fakes just as much as everyone else here.

Maybe you could save up for an expensive jersey?

Stick around and you'll hate fakes just as much as everyone else here.

Maybe you could save up for an expensive jersey?

I've certainly considered it. And its tax season as well, so you know what means...haha. But to be totally truthful with you, there's a few things I need to get first in my life before an authentic jersey, even though I'm positive Id be happy that i bought one (PS4, deposit on an apartment, other grown-up stuff lol). But with that said, I know I'll be more than ready to know what to buy if I hang around here. I mean, the stuff I've learned on here so far is crazy. I mean, not to sound ignorant but I simply never knew how very important patches are, and customization is a must. Hell, I didnt even know that teams send their sweaters out to get customized. I thought they came from Reebok ready to go lol. But hey, the more you know..

Edited by kygermo

If you're enjoying learning about the little details that go into the customization, patches, etc., I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy with a fake jersey. Judging by all of the explanation in your first post, I think you already know that.

Edge 2.0's are spendy, no doubt. Nothing wrong if that doesn't fit your budget right now. If you want a Flyers jersey first, I'm pretty sure the Baron has a bunch of 2.0s and 6100s for reasonable prices (and you should always contact him and see if he'll sell direct for less). I'm not much a fan of Premiers, but older replicas can be a great value, IMO.

Yup, I would wait. If you pay close enough attention in the Trading Post and on eBay here, you'll find what you are looking for for less than you expect.

Forget the fakes.

If you're worried about real vs fake before you have even bought a fake you're going to have a lot of regret if you pull the trigger. You'll be sick every time you open your closet and see that thing in there.

There were tons of cheap Flyers 2.0s floating around this summer (I think), you'll probably get one for a reasonable amount, not much more than a fake.

Wow, thank you everyone! I really appreciate the insight, especially about having doubts about buying the fake and hating it later on. That hits close to home and makes so much sense. As for what Flyers jersey I'd like, I'm truthfully undecided. I think a Brian Propp 2.0 would be pretty killer, not unlike the sweaters the older players wore at the alumni game back in 2012 (those were 2.0's right?). So I'm almost positive that would have to be customized since he wasn't there. A Lindbergh one would be pretty epic too. I dont know, lots of players to choose from haha

KNOW KNOW every one like Halloween (Black and Orange )

Probe was a 2,0 and you would need the shoulder #10 on that one if its a Pelle look for a older (very hard to Find ) jersey

KNOW KNOW every one like Halloween (Black and Orange )

Probe was a 2,0 and you would need the shoulder #10 on that one if its a Pelle look for a older (very hard to Find ) jersey

So in other words, creating a Pelle is pretty much a pipe dream huh?

And just out of sheer curiosity, what do the older than vintage sweaters go for? Like, what if I decided to do a Moose DuPont from 74? Astronomical, right?

I'll echo everyone above and say DON'T BUY THE FAKE jersey.

No matter how 'cheap' it is, it is too much money. You WILL regret it, I guarantee that.

Save your pennies, be patient, and keep an eye out for an authentic in your price range.

Half the fun is searching for the deal you can afford.

You'll find it!

Welcome to the boards.

Just keep your eyes peeled...you'll find a decent authentic at some point. Try to stick to auction style with no reserve. That's your best possible chance to find an authentic at a great price. You can usually get them customized for around $70.

That's the part I love most, finding something you've been looking for at a steal of a price.

If you see something you're not sure of, just ask us in the "Is it good or not" thread. I'm sure we'd all be glad to help out.

Happy collecting and welcome.

Finding anything authentic for the Flyers pre-1990 is difficult. If you want something from the 80s you have to be really patient or shell out big bucks. For example, if you wanted to recreate a Lindbergh, you'd have to find something from 81-85. That's a really narrow window. That's when they wore Sandow SK and Eagle jerseys. I haven't seen something from that era for sale in a while. And, it'll most likely already be customized, so you'll have to either live with who's on there, or strip it and get it redone.

As an aside, check out Rob's site when you have the time. He has a ton of game worn Flyers jerseys. You can use it as a nice guide to compare game worn to retail. Just beware, you'll be insanely jealous after looking :P. The guy has stuff that I can only dream of ever owning! Here: http://www.orangeandblackgamewornjerseys.com/

Man, I had no idea how much of a labor of love and patience it is to track the materials down and put it all together to create your own Picasso for jerseys. And honestly, Pelle was really just an example I used to see what it would take to get the things needed to make one. I'm not worthy enough to don a Lindberg anyway lol. That era was way before my time, and to wear the shirt of a player of his stature should only be reserved for the most elite of Flyers fan.

Here's another question: what's the community's stance on putting an older player's name and numbers on a current jersey? I mentioned earlier that a Propp 2.0 would be super cool. Is that frowned upon? Like in other words, do people think that Propp and his era of playing should only be on that era's type of jersey?

If it's something you're going to wear with pride and represent your team, do what you want with it man. It's yours.

If it's something you're going to wear with pride and represent your team, do what you want with it man. It's yours.

This. Some people will frown upon it no matter what you do. Can't please them all.

Finding anything authentic for the Flyers pre-1990 is difficult. If you want something from the 80s you have to be really patient or shell out big bucks. For example, if you wanted to recreate a Lindbergh, you'd have to find something from 81-85. That's a really narrow window. That's when they wore Sandow SK and Eagle jerseys. I haven't seen something from that era for sale in a while. And, it'll most likely already be customized, so you'll have to either live with who's on there, or strip it and get it redone.

As an aside, check out Rob's site when you have the time. He has a ton of game worn Flyers jerseys. You can use it as a nice guide to compare game worn to retail. Just beware, you'll be insanely jealous after looking :P. The guy has stuff that I can only dream of ever owning! Here: http://www.orangeandblackgamewornjerseys.com/

Don't forget about these.

SaToLCu.jpg

Here's another question: what's the community's stance on putting an older player's name and numbers on a current jersey? I mentioned earlier that a Propp 2.0 would be super cool. Is that frowned upon? Like in other words, do people think that Propp and his era of playing should only be on that era's type of jersey?

It's what we here on the forums refer to as a "jersey foul" (putting an old player on a current jersey; putting one's own name on a jersey). But, it's your jersey and your money, so in the end it's your choice. All we have on here is some opinions.