Comments by Ovechkin on Crosby contract.

Was browsing around various sites (like always) and found this piece of an interview with Alexander Ovechkin who was asked about Sidney Crosby's contract after he signed the extension.

"What can I say? Good for Crosby! It is easier for any player to come out and play when he knows that his future is secure. I think Pittsburgh wasted no time offering Crosby the deal because of what Edmonton did trying to sign a restricted free agent. Any Canadian team (and not only Canadian) could have offered great terms to Crosby in the future. And who knows if the Penguins could have matched it. But now Sindey is staying in Pittsburgh, and will stay there beyond 2013, in my opinion."

When asked about his contract, Ovechkin said:

"I will negotiate with the Capitals myself. To be precise, I will wait for their offer. If I like it, I will sign the contract. If I don't, then I will get myself an agent (I don't have one right now) to represent me in talks with the Capitals."

Nothing but admiration for Ovie.

Yep- good statements all the way around! It will be interesting to see if Wash can adequately build a team around him.

Great team player saying the right things.

I believe Ovie will be the best goal scorer; but not points leader, of his class

I think that it is quite interesting and cool that he is representing himself at first without an agent. Waiting to see if he himself likes the offer, there are too many times in sports today where an agent will turn down a deal for a player when the player himself would have taken it.

I remember reading about a baseball player who fired his agent because he read on a website that he had turned down an offer for a contract but the player had never even heard the offer since the agent declined it without consulting the player.

I think that it is quite interesting and cool that he is representing himself at first without an agent. Waiting to see if he himself likes the offer, there are too many times in sports today where an agent will turn down a deal for a player when the player himself would have taken it.

I remember reading about a baseball player who fired his agent because he read on a website that he had turned down an offer for a contract but the player had never even heard the offer since the agent declined it without consulting the player.

I liked seeing that myself as well. Ovechkin is one of a kind and one of my favorites of the new stars. Boras in baseball and Rosenhaus in football have really soured my opinion of sports agents, there are some good ones, but those guys make them look bad IMO.