How to ID the production of these 2 starter replicas

Hi everyone,

Recently i purchased 2 NY rangers (blank) starter replica jerseys, both were new with tags, but i've noticed, one seems without the conference patch? There's only S wordmark, also, the one without the conference patch came with a starter paper tag which reads www.starter.com.

The one who have the conference patch, the paper tag has no website written.

Could someone identify the year(s)?

Btw the one who does not have the conference patch at the hem (only Starter wordmark), runs longer for about an inch and a half, but both were same sizes (xxl).

Thanks!

I can't give you any specific years, but it's likely that the one without the conference patch was made during the latter part of Starter's production run, say around 1998-99. The one with the patch may have been made earlier on, perhaps from 1996-98, depending on which model/color jersey it is.

Just out of curiosity, are both your jerseys blue, and if so, do both have the tie-down collar, or does one of them have the full ringed collar?

I can't give you any specific years, but it's likely that the one without the conference patch was made during the latter part of Starter's production run, say around 1998-99. The one with the patch may have been made earlier on, perhaps from 1996-98, depending on which model/color jersey it is.

Just out of curiosity, are both your jerseys blue, and if so, do both have the tie-down collar, or does one of them have the full ringed collar?

Thanks!

What's the point of no conference tag on the later ones? if any idea.

Both are white though and full ringed collar.

But i do have one more which is blue, has a tie down collar and also HAS the confrence patch as well.

One more question, i know starter produced authentic ones from 1995-1999 if im correct?

Was the same time period for replica production ?

Yes, those are the correct years in which Starter made authentics and replicas as well.

My theory is simply that Starter just decided to drop the conference patch around 1998, but I certainly could not tell you why. The white Rangers jerseys were made by Starter from 1996-99, so your info at least does not contradict my theory- I still think that the one without the patch was made around 1998-99, and the other one probably before that. The blue tie-down collar one was probably made in 1997-98, as the 1996-97 blue model had the full collar.

The reason I believe the patch was discontinued by 1998-99 is that when you look at Starter replicas of jersey models that debuted in 1998-99, like the Rangers white Liberty, or the Coyotes desert 3rd, or the St. Louis Blues blue third, they never seem to have the patch. If the patch had been used during that season, you would see a lot of these jerseys with the patch, but that's not the case. For Starter jerseys that were made during the entire period between 1996-99, like the white Rangers, most of them have the conference patch (and so were probably made for 2 years, 1996-98), but there are a few that do not have the patch, which I believe were made for approximately one season only (1998-99).

Edited by LAK74

Yes, those are the correct years in which Starter made authentics and replicas as well.

My theory is simply that Starter just decided to drop the conference patch around 1998, but I certainly could not tell you why. The white Rangers jerseys were made by Starter from 1996-99, so your info at least does not contradict my theory- I still think that the one without the patch was made around 1998-99, and the other one probably before that. The blue tie-down collar one was probably made in 1997-98, as the 1996-97 blue model had the full collar.

The reason I believe the patch was discontinued by 1998-99 is that when you look at Starter replicas of jersey models that debuted in 1998-99, like the Rangers white Liberty, or the Coyotes desert 3rd, or the St. Louis Blues blue third, they never seem to have the patch. If the patch had been used during that season, you would see a lot of these jerseys with the patch, but that's not the case. For Starter jerseys that were made during the entire period between 1996-99, like the white Rangers, most of them have the conference patch (and so were probably made for 2 years, 1996-98), but there are a few that do not have the patch, which I believe were made for approximately one season only (1998-99).

Thanks for the infos! Yeah that really makes sense @ the 3rd alt.

By the way, i have some ccm's replicas as well, i know the maska tag (without the rink tag) were the very first CCM replicas right?

But i have one jersey, which had both on, the rink and the maska tag underneath. I'm asumming these were very first series of rink tags?

Edited by Grimey

It's just a guess, but I would assume you are correct. It's probably from a transition period between the 2 tags, most likely around 1995 or so. Is your jersey a model that was used during that time?

It's just a guess, but I would assume you are correct. It's probably from a transition period between the 2 tags, most likely around 1995 or so. Is your jersey a model that was used during that time?

I see.

The CCM one? if so, it was bought off eBay some time ago.

Yes, I was referring to the CCM one- I was wondering which team/model it was, in order to see how closely it corresponded to the 1995 time period.

Yep, that jersey style debuted precisely in 1995, so it's a good bet that you might have gotten one of the first ones made. Does it have a CCM patch logo (and possibly a Boston team emblem) on the rear hem, or is it a screened red/blue/white CCM logo?

Yep, that jersey style debuted precisely in 1995, so it's a good bet that you might have gotten one of the first ones made. Does it have a CCM patch logo (and possibly a Boston team emblem) on the rear hem, or is it a screened red/blue/white CCM logo?

That's great to know.

Yes, it has the ccm patch logo and the Bruins team logo on it as well.

I had another bruins jersey CCM replica with the ''blue'' neck tag, that one could be later then right?

And those who only had the maska tag were like from early, mid or late 80s?

CCM replicas had some form of CCM/Maska tag since the mid-1980's at least, all the way up to around 1994/95, after which it was replaced by the rink tag. The deep blue CCM tag was used from around 1998-2000.

Edited by LAK74

CCM replicas had some form of CCM/Maska tag since the mid-1980's at least, all the way up to around 1994/95, after which it was replaced by the rink tag. The deep blue CCM tag was used from around 1998-2000.

Great Knowledge!

So from 2000 till edge popped up? the CCM was moved to the top back of neck as i've read before here once?

I've had some ccm/maska tags ones which had screen printed ccm logo at the back hem (it always teared off lol), i've got to say the quality of the replicas werent that good as the ones who have rink or blue ones, not just the screen print logo, but the jersey material itself.

While speaking of starter replicas, i really like the double elbows thing, not familliar if ccm replicas had that as well? Ive never had one though.

Edited by Grimey

So from 2000 till edge popped up? the CCM was moved to the top back of neck as i've read before here once?

Correct, but for those the CCM neck tag changed yet again, to the one with the gray bars with "Official Licensed Jersey" in English and French.

CCM replicas did not have double elbows, but the ProPlayer ones, which immediately followed the Starters, did have them.

Correct, but for those the CCM neck tag changed yet again, to the one with the gray bars with "Official Licensed Jersey" in English and French.

CCM replicas did not have double elbows, but the ProPlayer ones, which immediately followed the Starters, did have them.

Till like 2005 2006 till reebok took over? or CCM still had the license for replicas after? I'm not sure how long they've produced replicas?

Are you familliar with a friends'' sitcom? There's an episode which aired on October of 1994, one character is wearing a white Rangers jersey, which i can see the Starter logo on the sleeve, were they out a year before they've got a contract for the authentics?

Even during 2005-07, when Reebok was making the authentics, CCM was producing the NHL team replicas, not Reebok. After the Edge came out in 2007 (and Reebok came out with the Premier replica line), CCM stopped making the current NHL replicas, but continued to make older model replicas under their Vintage Hockey and Team Classics lines, which they do to this day.

I was not aware of the episode with the Rangers jersey, so I couldn't comment on your question. Do you happen to have a video link or some other info on that episode?

Even during 2005-07, when Reebok was making the authentics, CCM was producing the NHL team replicas, not Reebok. After the Edge came out in 2007 (and Reebok came out with the Premier replica line), CCM stopped making the current NHL replicas, but continued to make older model replicas under their Vintage Hockey and Team Classics lines, which they do to this day.

I was not aware of the episode with the Rangers jersey, so I couldn't comment on your question. Do you happen to have a video link or some other info on that episode?

Thanks, good to know.

Here is the link for that episode,

https://youtu.be/nRxeUdeCApw?t=1m43s

It aired on October 13, 1994 according to Wiki.

Very surprising. Perhaps Starter did have a license to produce replicas way before they made the on-ice jerseys. If so, I certainly wasn't aware of that.

Very surprising. Perhaps Starter did have a license to produce replicas way before they made the on-ice jerseys. If so, I certainly wasn't aware of that.

Same here. I thought there was only CCM before that.

Ok, so as far as ccm replicas, there was the maska tag in the very start then rink tag with maska as well, rink tag + smaller tag under it with size written, deep blue ccm tag, official licensed jersey grey tag and vintage series.

Starter definitely made replica jerseys before supplying the on-ice stuff. I had a Starter replica jersey that my uncle bought me when I was in 6th grade and that was 1992.

Starter definitely made replica jerseys before supplying the on-ice stuff. I had a Starter replica jersey that my uncle bought me when I was in 6th grade and that was 1992.

wow! the conference tag was present on hem in these early ones as well ?

I'll definitely take your word on that, as it certainly explains the presence of that Starter jersey in the "Friends" episode. However, I do find it rather strange that, if Starter made replicas during the early-to-mid 90's, why is it that you never seem to see (or at least I haven't seen any) Starter versions of many jersey styles which were current during that period but were phased out by the mid-90's? Examples: Winnipeg Jets, Capitals red/white with stars, Nordiques, St. Louis Blues (the one previous to the red/blue with diagonal numbers), and the classic original Flames?

Does anyone else recall having or at least seeing a Starter replica that was definitely made before 1995, especially in a style that was discontinued by that date? I would think there would be a significant number of them floating around, but I sure haven't seen any.

I'll definitely take your word on that, as it certainly explains the presence of that Starter jersey in the "Friends" episode. However, I do find it rather strange that, if Starter made replicas during the early-to-mid 90's, why is it that you never seem to see (or at least I haven't seen any) Starter versions of many jersey styles which were current during that period but were phased out by the mid-90's? Examples: Winnipeg Jets, Capitals red/white with stars, Nordiques, St. Louis Blues (the one previous to the red/blue with diagonal numbers), and the classic original Flames?

Does anyone else recall having or at least seeing a Starter replica that was definitely made before 1995, especially in a style that was discontinued by that date? I would think there would be a significant number of them floating around, but I sure haven't seen any.

good point. i'm curious as well.