Jersey Collector's Glossary

mfitz804

View the official version at http://mle073.wix.com/thejerseyglossary !

From time to time, I coin phrases that relate to jersey collecting. I thought I might not be the only one, so I figured why not start a thread about it?

Larry Murphy's Law:

Murphy's Law states that if something can go wrong, it probably will. Larry Murphy's Law is the same thing applied to jerseys, like:

You buy a new authentic, player gets traded.

The jersey you have been waiting for becomes available at the exact moment you don't have the funds to buy it.

And so on.

Third Thoughts:

You buy a jersey, only to have second thoughts and you list it for sale. Then you remember why you bought it and you take down your sale. Congrats, you just had third thoughts.

Anyone else have any?

Edited by mfitz804

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've pretty much nailed the main ones already I think. However, to expand...

Better The Devil You Know:

Almost always brought on by the effects of Larry Murphy's Law, you will have had cause to question if this hobby is really worth your time, effort and money. This feeling usually lasts a day or two and may cause you to list a few of your least important jerseys for sale before Third Thoughts set in and you realize you'd need a new hobby if you gave up this one. And who can honestly say that that one wouldn't be worse?

Buk-Hockey jersey: a jersey you know you blew way too much on, and now you don't even want to look at it.

Buy Now, Reserch Later:

Seeing something you're not used to buying and buy it because it's there...

You buy it because you figure someone else will see it and grab it.

Only to find out its customized wrong or the player you intend to put on it, never wore it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooopsie Bid:

Feeling good about life+ 3 too many Guinesses=hoping someone outbids me.

That would be a verb, as in, 'Shoot. I just oopsie bid on that crappy jersey.'

I did this last weekend in Montreal...Went into the store at the Bell Center with a little buzz on, walked out with a Habs Winter Classic. Could have gotten one cheaper elsewhere but it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Jersey Economics:

The hoops you jump through to justify purchases. Ex:

Paid $50 for a blank authentic, $65 to customize. $115 cost.

Sold for $175. $60 profit.

Bought it back for $175. That cancels out the $175 sale, still up $60.

No longer have to customize the replica you bought to replace the authentic you sold. No longer need the shoulder patches either. Savings of $80.

So that's $115, minus $60 profit, minus $80 savings, congrats, you're up $25 and you still have the jersey!!!

Just don't think too hard or you get to the real numbers:

$50 for the blank, $65 + $25 postage (both ways) to customize, total cost $140.

Sold for $175 shipped, $10 of which is shipping, profit is $25.

Bought a blank replica for $35, shoulder patches for $15. Other necessary patch was $10. Down $35.

Shipped the replica to a buddy to sew on the shoulder patches, $8, now down $43.

Required the original jersey for $175.

Stripped the shoulder patches, retained them for future project.

Sold the replica (with the other patch attached) on eBay for $19.99, further loss of $35, total loss of $78.

Congrats, you spent $78 and have the same jersey you started with.

Edited by mfitz804

<b>Jersey Economics</b>

The hoops you jump through to justify purchases. Ex:

Paid $50 for a blank authentic, $65 to customize. $115 cost.

Sold for $175. $60 profit.

Bought it back for $175. That cancels out the $175 sale, still up $60.

How do you figure you're up $60 at this point? After you got the $60 profit, you lost that plus an additional $115 of your money when you bought it back for $175. So now you have the jersey back at a net cost of $115, which is exactly where you were before you sold it the first time!

How do you figure you're up $60 at this point? After you got the $60 profit, you lost that plus an additional $115 of your money when you bought it back for $175. So now you have the jersey back at a net cost of $115, which is exactly where you were before you sold it the first time!

Ha, like I said he needs an jersey accountant.

Shipped the replica to a buddy

Hey, I know that guy! He's a !

That second part is the realistic math, but hey, you have the jersey you wanted now. Just think of the money you're down as the cost of the adventure to get it back.

Like I said, it's "jersey accounting". I.e., not real accounting.

Edited by mfitz804

Lol...this is why I'm not in the hobby for the money!

Great post Fitz...

Ok, its become a thing...

Creation Jersey

1. Negative, tongue in cheek slang for a fake jersey that the owner attempts to pass off as legitimate.

2. A counterfeit jersey, possession, sale or distribution of which may constitute a violation of Federal law.

i.e.

Q: Is this real?

A: Nope, total Creation Jersey.

Edited by mfitz804

I thought Creation jersey is a jersey that is a replica that is dressed up and modified to look like an authentic.

I thought Creation jersey is a jersey that is a replica that is dressed up and modified to look like an authentic.

My understanding is that its just a fluffed up name for a fake jersey. Its not fake, its a creation jersey.

In fact, I don't believe the original creation jersey, the old Jets Hawerchuk fake that was posted on eBay, would fit your criteria, as I don't think it was a legitimate replica being passed off as real.

As I see it, a creation jersey is something that was, well, created with the intent of passing it off as real. An altered replica would fit that criteria, but other creations would as well.

In any event, I'm just the curator of the glossary, it belongs to everyone. I welcome all opinions, things can be altered if the collective consensus wishes.

Edited by mfitz804

See also: Jersey Sure- "This JERSEY SURE is a POS knockoff, totally misrepresented as an authentic jersey".

My understanding is that its just a fluffed up name for a fake jersey. Its not fake, its a creation jersey.

In fact, I don't believe the original creation jersey, the old Jets Hawerchuk fake that was posted on eBay, would fit your criteria, as I don't think it was a legitimate replica being passed off as real.

As I see it, a creation jersey is something that was, well, created with the intent of passing it off as real. An altered replica would fit that criteria, but other creations would as well.

In any event, I'm just the curator of the glossary, it belongs to everyone. I welcome all opinions, things can be altered if the collective consensus wishes.

Good points.

Hmmm how about a Creation Jersey is any jersey, replica or fake, that is then doctored or altered to appear to be an authentic?

In any event, I'm just the creator of the glossary, it belongs to everyone. I welcome all opinions.

Please add (Re-) ... to the front of the Creation Jersey to create other contexts within the glossary being created...

1. Negative, tongue in cheek slang for a fake jersey that the owner attempts to pass off as legitimate.

2. Positive, recreational value from actions undertaken to create a jersey to one's liking though understandingly not appreciated by many collectors within the Jersisphere.

This creates an alternative to keep the definition fair for all users and their unique collecting goals. And I think the Re- keeps it in line with another re- word type jerseys synonomous with illegitimate jersey. Also, it gives more of a production rather than a sales focus to the definition.

As creator of the glossary I thank you for you consideration.

Edited by JJM4

Good points.

Hmmm how about a Creation Jersey is any jersey, replica or fake, that is then doctored or altered to appear to be an authentic?

Ok, but what if someone fakes a replica? Like a fake Wild Wing?

Please add (Re-) ... to the front of the Creation Jersey to create other contexts within the glossary being created...

2. Positive, recreational value from actions undertaken to create a jersey to one's liking though understandingly not appreciated by many collectors within the Jersisphere.

This creates an alternative to keep the definition fair for all users and their unique collecting goals. And I think the Re- keeps it in line with another re- word type jerseys synonomous with illegitimate jersey. Also, it gives more of a production rather than a sales focus to the definition.

As creator of the glossary I thank you for you consideration.

#2 is pretty much talking in circles to again try to hide what they are. To the extent it means "some people like fakes", its completely irrelevant to the definition, as fakes are fakes whether some people like them or not.

With regard to adding "Re-", the phrase coined was Creation Jersey, Not Recreation Jersey. In either event, they mean the same thing.

I'd be happy to add #2, "Counterfeit" to clarify.

Ok, its become a thing...

Creation Jersey

2. A counterfeit jersey, possession, sale or distribution of which may constitute a violation of Federal law.

See current update above.

Ok, but what if someone fakes a replica? Like a fake Wild Wing?

#2 is pretty much talking in circles to again try to hide what they are. To the extent it means "some people like fakes", its completely irrelevant to the definition, as fakes are fakes whether some people like them or not.

With regard to adding "Re-", the phrase coined was Creation Jersey, Not Recreation Jersey. In either event, they mean the same thing.

I'd be happy to add #2, "Counterfeit" to clarify.

If someone fakes a replica, then that is just a fake/counterfeit/knockoff.

creation is modifying a fake or replica into an authentic.

I see what you're saying. We need a third opinion.

If I make a fake Wild Wing replica, not trying to pass it off as an authentic but trying to pass it off as a legitimate licensed replica, is it a Creation Jersey or not?

My proposition is that a 'Creation Jersey" is any jersey you make with the intention of passing it off as real.

Devilsguy suggests it should only apply to those being passed off as an authentic (i.e. on ice) jersey.