Jersey Collector's Glossary

mfitz804

I see what you're saying. We need a third opinion.

If I make a fake Wild Wing replica, not trying to pass it off as an authentic but trying to pass it off as a legitimate licensed replica, is it a Creation Jersey or not?

My proposition is that a 'Creation Jersey" is any jersey you make with the intention of passing it off as real.

Devilsguy suggests it should only apply to those being passed off as an authentic (i.e. on ice) jersey.

What is the difference in your wild wing example from the knockoffs that are made in China? That is my question. The wild wing sounds more like a domestic knockoff than a creation to me.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference in your wild wing example from the knockoffs that are made in China? That is my question. The wild wing sounds more like a domestic knockoff than a creation to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm considering it.

Nail (noun): A near grail.

It's ridiculous that "grail" gets used so frequently. Let's try this term to describe really nice jerseys that you won't soon part with but don't qualify as THE jersey in your collection.

That's a good job right there.

Creation Jersey

Negative, tongue in cheek slang for a jersey to which elements have been added (i.e. fight strap, tagging, etc.) to make it appear authentic.

Devilsguy, how does this re-draft grab you?

Edited by mfitz804

Creation Jersey

Negative, tongue in cheek slang for a jersey to which elements have been added (i.e. fight strap, tagging, etc.) to make it appear authentic.

Devilsguy, how does this re-draft grab you?

Works for me!

Nail (noun): A near grail.

It's ridiculous that "grail" gets used so frequently. Let's try this term to describe really nice jerseys that you won't soon part with but don't qualify as THE jersey in your collection.

That's pretty accurate.

Thanks. We really should do a living, breathing document for these terms beyond this thread. Or maybe we could include the terms in the next edition of our favorite jersey book that comes out.

And to the term itself, I get rather frustrated by the use of grail. We're pretty good in this forum but in other corners, not so much.

I agree. Also you might find this amusing, but there is actually an entire episode of GW Radio devoted to the term grail. It happened after one of the commentators on the show posted a large post railing against the use of the term grail by some collectors who seem to have dozens of grails.

http://gameworn.us/game-worn-radio-the-grail-thread-social-media/

Thanks. We really should do a living, breathing document for these terms beyond this thread. Or maybe we could include the terms in the next edition of our favorite jersey book that comes out.

I thought of saving it for some sort of publication, but a humorous book about jersey collecting would have an even smaller audience than Slim's book. I didn't see the point because about 3 people are interested.

And Slim's book is too serious and well written to have stuff by the likes of us included!!

Somebody help me out with what to call this:

Taking pictures of a jersey with the intention of selling it, then looking at the draft of your listing and changing your mind because it looks so good.

Somebody help me out with what to call this:

Taking pictures of a jersey with the intention of selling it, then looking at the draft of your listing and changing your mind because it looks so good.

I do that all the time...it definitely needs a name.

There it is, exactly. I even said to myself that if it wasn't mine already I'd probably buy it, so that's the perfect term for it.

WHAT JERSEY WAS IT???

Stephane Richer '95 cup, red. Intact born-on tag of 2/95, and it looks like it was made yesterday.

Something about that big number 44 on a mint ultrafil looks so clean.

Saw that in your sale post. That is clean..

Definitely is. It's bringing back a lot of good memories from way too long ago.

Edited by mfitz804

Here's one I thought of. Could probably use a more clever name. I'll leave that up to you more witty guys.

The Hundred Year Wait

The time it feels like you waited for your new favorite jersey to be delivered to your house after you bought it or sent it out for customization.

Saw that in your sale post. That is clean..

I've never been so torn on whether to sell a jersey or not. I've gone back and forth on it probably 15 times in the past 2 days.

I've never been so torn on whether to sell a jersey or not. I've gone back and forth on it probably 15 times in the past 2 days.

That's a definite sign you should keep it man. You will immediately regret it once it's gone...don't do it.

Here's one I thought of. Could probably use a more clever name. I'll leave that up to you more witty guys.

The Hundred Year Wait

The time it feels like you waited for your new favorite jersey to be delivered to your house after you bought it or sent it out for customization.

Uh huh. I feel your pain on that one.

Have you been trying it on again and again trying to pretend that its not really THAT big on you?

Also sounds like the name of a romantic comedy.

Y'all are going to take this and put it right in the gutter but I have to add this one:

Wife Pleaser- A jersey that you buy on impulse (through an oopsie bid) but then you later sell for even money or profit. The wife (or your partner) is happy since you didn't totally waste money on the bad original purchase.

I hope and pray this is a classy bunch of guys and nobody decides to elaborate on "wife pleaser" after reading your disclaimer.

Sounds likely ;)