Jersey Collector's Glossary

mfitz804

I was creeping a look at the list during a meeting. I should have focused on my work.

THIS IS THE MEETING!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a word for this:

Whenever I am buying a jersey on eBay, it goes way up in the last minute because of the snipers (including me), however, whenever I sell a jersey, the snipers seem to disappear (even though there are like 40 watchers) and doesn't go up a cent.

Or am I the only one this happens to?

Don't think so...but there probably should be.

Definitely. It turns out that the jersey sold for nearly 3 times what my last bid was.

Admittedly, it's only a replica but I don't feel like dropping that much cash right now. I really can't buy any until the 27th anyway.

How about "nocturnal remission"?

In a similar vein:

collectile dysfunction: the state of having a jersey collection which is somehow flawed; may contain jerseys you don't even really like that much or feel any connection to, or may focus on an area you can't really afford to collect; the collection may need to be refocused, perhaps with an emphasis on particular players or teams

Postage Stomp: The bad attitude I have after getting a missed delivery notification. I usually do the postage stomp when USPS arbitrarily decides they can't leave a delivery in the parcel locker, because that all but guarantees I have to drive to the post office to get out of the missed delivery loop.

I would imagine Postage Stomp to be when somebody crams a jersey into a tiny box, looking like he jumped on the box just to get the jersey to fit.

Led Zep said it best...sometimes words have two meanings.

Step one...find the smallest box. Step two...stuff the jersey in that box. Step three...? when you open the box.

Rescue Jersey:

A jersey you see for sale that needs to be rescued. It's customized so horribly, that you need to step in and adopt said jersey.

You simply cant stand by and let it live the rest of its life as a horrid monstrosity.

You bring it home, bathe it, clean it up and strip away the mysery and embarrassment of its previous kit. Only to one day revive it to its deserved glory.

• 2 weeks later...

One term to describe two annoying Facebook behaviors:

Re-runner (noun):

1) Someone who posts the same jersey sale listing in the same big four or five groups that we all belong to .... OR

2) Someone who bumps their sales post after waiting a few hours or a day max.

Hahahaha. I can only imagine who set you off to come up with this one.

It's hard to narrow down to just one person.

You mean like the "Moore-on"?

(Guess who that one belongs to.)

The block button is my friend.

I sent him a request, but he hasn't accepted yet. Maybe he blocked me.

Was it one of his many grails?

In regards to someone who posts in multiple groups, I don't mind it as he/she is just looking to get the most eyes on their item. There are still plenty of collectors who belong to only one or some of the groups.

No excuse on the constant bumping. That's someone that forums do better than FB.

Also not sure if this has been suggested but here is a new one:

Trader Joe (n) - someone who even though you explicitly state that you are not looking to trade will still ask if you want to trade. Often times they will have items you are clearly not interested in and will act offended or even put down your usually larger value item when you graciously decline their offer.

Not sure if this is up there:

LOA Larry - (n) - a person who even if you provide multiple conclusive photo or video matches, still insists on an LOA or COA to feel comfortable enough to buy a game worn jersey or equipment from you. If no LOA or COA is present, then said potential buyer will often either lowball you due to the lack of "documentation" or in some cases accuse you of trying to sell a forgery.

Edited by Devilsguy

• 3 weeks later...

I have two nouns to describe my current state:

*Out of ammo- That moment when you realize you've sold all of your boring replicas and irrelevant gamers and you have nothing of value to sell or trade for something else that's fun.

*Cruel summer- That moment when you realize that you unless you want to drown in a puddle of your own sweat, you can't wear jerseys for another three months.

lol that Out of Ammo one is hitting close to home right now.

Yeah, I keep going to propose trades and I keep looking for the jerseys that I could get rid of without regret. I've managed to get rid of all of my low hanging fruit. Any trades that I do will end up costing me a jersey I really want.

Yeah exactly where I am too. I do have a couple of jerseys I am looking to trade, but no takers yet. They are at least something I could sell down the line if I see something I really want, so not completely tapped out yet but getting pretty close.

There is also a jersey that I have that a buddy wants. It's a jersey that took me a while to get, so kind of not wanting to part with it. However, there is a part of me that might if the right return comes back, and it would have to include a jersey and not just $.

I'm not really a trader, but I went through my collection over the weekend looking for stuff to sell, and I found zero jerseys I was willing to part with at the present time.

Kind of the same thing, as I'd only be using the funds to buy more jerseys.

I'm not really a trader, but I went through my collection over the weekend looking for stuff to sell, and I found zero jerseys I was willing to part with at the present time.

Kind of the same thing, as I'd only be using the funds to buy more jerseys.

Same here, happy with what I have right now save for a couple I've had listed for a bit. Makes buying new stuff harder though when I have nothing going out.

• 2 weeks later...

The frustration that comes from seeing a bunch of good gamers available (i.e., the $99 gamers MeiGray has on eBay right) but knowing that you're over budget for the month (I CAN'T BUY ANYTHING FOR THREE WEEKS KILL ME NOW) and can't even take a chance on them.

Is that a separate term or does that fall under Larry Murphy's Law?