Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfitz804

Jersey Collector's Glossary

146 posts in this topic

I've never been so torn on whether to sell a jersey or not. I've gone back and forth on it probably 15 times in the past 2 days.

That's a definite sign you should keep it man. You will immediately regret it once it's gone...don't do it.

Here's one I thought of. Could probably use a more clever name. I'll leave that up to you more witty guys.

The Hundred Year Wait

The time it feels like you waited for your new favorite jersey to be delivered to your house after you bought it or sent it out for customization.

Uh huh. I feel your pain on that one.

I've never been so torn on whether to sell a jersey or not. I've gone back and forth on it probably 15 times in the past 2 days.

Have you been trying it on again and again trying to pretend that its not really THAT big on you?

Also sounds like the name of a romantic comedy.

Y'all are going to take this and put it right in the gutter but I have to add this one:

Wife Pleaser- A jersey that you buy on impulse (through an oopsie bid) but then you later sell for even money or profit. The wife (or your partner) is happy since you didn't totally waste money on the bad original purchase.

Y'all are going to take this and put it right in the gutter but I have to add this one:

Wife Pleaser- A jersey that you buy on impulse (through an oopsie bid) but then you later sell for even money or profit. The wife (or your partner) is happy since you didn't totally waste money on the bad original purchase.

I hope and pray this is a classy bunch of guys and nobody decides to elaborate on "wife pleaser" after reading your disclaimer.

Sounds likely ;)

I hope and pray this is a classy bunch of guys and nobody decides to elaborate on "wife pleaser" after reading your disclaimer.

Sounds likely ;)

At the risk of sounding like I have no life outside of jersey collecting, I went back and forth in my head on that one last night before I posted today. Sometimes, you just have to tell the truth.

Hey at least that still works for your wife in that situation. I usually get a look like "one down, 30 more to go".

Which, similarly to your post, could subject me to ridicule and innuendo.

Edited by mfitz804

Isn't everything men in relationships buy technically wife pleasers?

.......I'll just show myself out now.

Isn't everything men in relationships buy technically wife pleasers?

.......I'll just show myself out now.

Definitely not. especially not "another Devils jersey".

Definitely not. especially not "another Devils jersey".

Lol.

My collection is mostly either wife pleasers or ghost jerseys.

Ghost jerseys (n) - A jersey you spent decent to a lot of money on that you hide from your significant other as if he/she does you would get the third degree for spending more money on clothes than he/she does.

Lol.

My collection is mostly either wife pleasers or ghost jerseys.

Ghost jerseys (n) - A jersey you spent decent to a lot of money on that you hide from your significant other as if he/she does you would get the third degree for spending more money on clothes than he/she does.

Not to be confused with:

Ghosting (v) a jersey: trying to make a jersey invisible because if you can just get it into your closet, you can pretend that its been there all along.

Not to be confused with:

Ghosting (v) a jersey: trying to make a jersey invisible because if you can just get it into your closet, you can pretend that its been there all along.

Hahahahaha. That hits very close to home.

Hahahahaha. That hits very close to home.

I imagine not only with you.

Jersey-smuggling!

For Devils jerseys it's quite easy to pretend they have been there all along. They all look the same, right? ;-)

Jersey-smuggling!

For Devils jerseys it's quite easy to pretend they have been there all along. They all look the same, right? ;-)

Essentially, yes. Especially to the untrained (or uninterested) eye.

I went to the source and asked for clarification on "wife pleaser." Again, I beg of you to keep this G-rated.

According to my wife, a wife pleaser is an oopsie bid that you lose at the very last minute. You get the thrill of drunken bidding with none of the consequences.

I went to the source and asked for clarification on "wife pleaser." Again, I beg of you to keep this G-rated.

According to my wife, a wife pleaser is an oopsie bid that you lose at the very last minute. You get the thrill of drunken bidding with none of the consequences.

All of the thrill, none of the consequences. Sounds like high school all over again.

"https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCdfjWO8aLE%5B/media%5D"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCdfjWO8aLE

Edited by HockeyMusic

Jerseyfication

Going to whatever lengths necessary to achieve justification of a jersey purchase. Such as:

"I collect jerseys from (insert player name) because he's from my home town, OR his name sounds like mine, ORhe went to my college, etc."

"Jersey costs $500. I don't have $500 to spend one jersey. But, that jersey is at least twice as cool as the two regular jerseys I would have bought for $250 each. By not buying those two (which, bear in mind, DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST), I can now afford the $500 jersey."

There have to be a million other examples as well.

Edited by mfitz804

Jersey-ignorance/denial

When you try to convince your buds and teammates of the quality of real authentics, but you are being mocked upon and made fun of about how you try to point out the details.

Yes, that has happened to me.

Alone In The Dark

I am engaged in some serious Jerseyfication right now. I have my eye on a jersey that is priced appropriately for the market. The seller won't budge on the price (much) and I already have two other jerseys in this style ... And yet I'm going to buy the danm thing anyway because of all things, it's a goalie cut version of this jersey and I absolutely 1000%-ly need a goalie jersey in this style.

I am engaged in some serious Jerseyfication right now. I have my eye on a jersey that is priced appropriately for the market. The seller won't budge on the price (much) and I already have two other jerseys in this style ... And yet I'm going to buy the danm thing anyway because of all things, it's a goalie cut version of this jersey and I absolutely 1000%-ly need a goalie jersey in this style.

I've got to know.

Wh*re jersey: one that's been passed around from collector to collector, everyone's had a piece.

Wh*re jersey: one that's been passed around from collector to collector, everyone's had a piece.

I wouldn't put it on unless I was wearing a hoodie underneath.

I wouldn't put it on unless I was wearing a hoodie underneath.

Well played.

Jerseyfication

Going to whatever lengths necessary to achieve justification of a jersey purchase. Such as:

"I collect jerseys from (insert player name) because he's from my home town, OR his name sounds like mine, ORhe went to my college, etc."

"Jersey costs $500. I don't have $500 to spend one jersey. But, that jersey is at least twice as cool as the two regular jerseys I would have bought for $250 each. By not buying those two (which, bear in mind, DON'T ACTUALLY EXIST), I can now afford the $500 jersey."

There have to be a million other examples as well.

"I don't need that jersey --- or that jersey's too expensive. But, if I sold my x-jersey for $125 and my y-jersey for $150, and if I could sell my z-jersey for $100 then it would be basically like an even trade". Purchase justified (jerseyfied), and jersey x, y, and z never get listed anywhere.