Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfitz804

Jersey Collector's Glossary

146 posts in this topic

Is there a term for the relief that comes from waking up to find that someone has finally outbid you for a jersey that you really don't want after all? I had that this morning.

Is there a term for the relief that comes from waking up to find that someone has finally outbid you for a jersey that you really don't want after all? I had that this morning.

Don't think so...but there probably should be.

How about "nocturnal remission"?

Welp, I took the terms up to date and added them to a simple, free one page website, which I may expand (or at least make look presentable) one day, or I may not. In any event, its all the terms we've coined without the witty banter. Just figured it should be somewhat more organized.

http://mle073.wix.com/thejerseyglossary

Edited by mfitz804

Wow.

Welp, I took the terms up to date and added them to a simple, free one page website, which I may expand (or at least make look presentable) one day, or I may not. In any event, its all the terms we've coined without the witty banter. Just figured it should be somewhat more organized.

http://mle073.wix.com/thejerseyglossary

This is going to be big.

This is going to be big.

It's so not.

I was creeping a look at the list during a meeting. I should have focused on my work.

I was creeping a look at the list during a meeting. I should have focused on my work.

THIS IS THE MEETING!

There needs to be a word for this:

Whenever I am buying a jersey on eBay, it goes way up in the last minute because of the snipers (including me), however, whenever I sell a jersey, the snipers seem to disappear (even though there are like 40 watchers) and doesn't go up a cent.

Or am I the only one this happens to?

That's a good one, and no, it's not just you. I recently ran an auction where I had 7 watchers, but no one bid. I relisted as a BIN for 20 bucks more than the prior opening bid and it sold in a day. Go figure.

Don't think so...but there probably should be.

Definitely. It turns out that the jersey sold for nearly 3 times what my last bid was.

Admittedly, it's only a replica but I don't feel like dropping that much cash right now. I really can't buy any until the 27th anyway.

In a similar vein:

collectile dysfunction: the state of having a jersey collection which is somehow flawed; may contain jerseys you don't even really like that much or feel any connection to, or may focus on an area you can't really afford to collect; the collection may need to be refocused, perhaps with an emphasis on particular players or teams

Both terms have been added to the Official Page.

Postage Stomp: The bad attitude I have after getting a missed delivery notification. I usually do the postage stomp when USPS arbitrarily decides they can't leave a delivery in the parcel locker, because that all but guarantees I have to drive to the post office to get out of the missed delivery loop.

Postage Stomp? Sounds like something Billy Milano would have wrote for S.O.D.

I would imagine Postage Stomp to be when somebody crams a jersey into a tiny box, looking like he jumped on the box just to get the jersey to fit.

I would imagine Postage Stomp to be when somebody crams a jersey into a tiny box, looking like he jumped on the box just to get the jersey to fit.

Led Zep said it best...sometimes words have two meanings.

In honor of Prince, I am going with a symbol for my newest term to get to CJ's idea.

^_^ = Your reaction to a seller either cramming a jersey into a tiny box or a seller not wrapping the jersey up in a plastic bag when they ship in a USPS pouch.

Edited by Dr_Puck

Step one...find the smallest box. Step two...stuff the jersey in that box. Step three...? when you open the box.

Step one...find the smallest box. Step two...stuff the jersey in that box. Step three... when you open the box.

hqdefault.jpg

Rescue Jersey:

A jersey you see for sale that needs to be rescued. It's customized so horribly, that you need to step in and adopt said jersey.

You simply cant stand by and let it live the rest of its life as a horrid monstrosity.

You bring it home, bathe it, clean it up and strip away the mysery and embarrassment of its previous kit. Only to one day revive it to its deserved glory.

One term to describe two annoying Facebook behaviors:

Re-runner (noun):
1) Someone who posts the same jersey sale listing in the same big four or five groups that we all belong to .... OR

2) Someone who bumps their sales post after waiting a few hours or a day max.

One term to describe two annoying Facebook behaviors:

Re-runner (noun):

1) Someone who posts the same jersey sale listing in the same big four or five groups that we all belong to .... OR

2) Someone who bumps their sales post after waiting a few hours or a day max.

Hahahaha. I can only imagine who set you off to come up with this one.

Hahahaha. I can only imagine who set you off to come up with this one.

It's hard to narrow down to just one person.