The NHL On VERSUS Discussion Thread

SteveNJ

Remaining Schedule:

10/30 - Chicago vs. Philadelphia, 7:00 PM (In HD) (Play By Play: John Forslund, Color: Eddie Olczyk, Reporter: Chris Simpson)

10/31 - San Jose vs. Florida, 7:30 PM

11/6 - Boston vs. Atlanta, 7:00 PM

11/7 - Carolina vs. New Jersey, 7:00 PM (In HD)

11/13 - Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh, 7:30 PM

11/14 - New Jersey vs. NY Rangers, 7:00 PM (In HD)

11/20 - Colorado vs. Dallas, 8:00 PM

11/21 - Carolina vs. NY Rangers, 7:00 PM (In HD)

11/27 - DOUBLEHEADER, Dallas vs. Detroit, 7:00 PM (In HD), New Jersey vs. Los Angeles, 10:00 PM

11/29 - San Jose vs. Minnesota, 8:00 PM

12/4 - Boston vs. Montreal, 7:00 PM (In HD)

12/5 - Chicago vs. Minnesota, 8:00 PM

12/11 - Pittsburgh vs. Washington, 7:00 PM (In HD)

12/12 - Buffalo vs. New Jersey, 7:00 PM

12/18 - Detroit vs. Columbus, 7:00 PM (In HD)

12/19 - St. Louis vs. Pittsburgh, 7:00 PM

12/26 - Boston vs. Columbus, 7:00 PM

1/1 - Boston vs. Toronto, 7:00 PM (In HD)

1/2 - Chicago vs. St. Louis, 7:30 PM

1/9 - Detroit vs. Colorado, 9:00 PM

1/15 - DOUBLEHEADER, Montreal vs. Detroit 7:00 PM (In HD), Colorado vs. San Jose, 10:00 PM

1/16 - Columbus vs. Chicago, 7:30 PM

1/23 - NHL Skills Competition and Rookie Game, 8:00 PM (In HD)

1/24 - NHL All-Star Game, 8:00 PM (In HD)

1/29 - NY Rangers vs. Boston, 7:00 PM (In HD)

1/30 - Nashville vs. Colorado, 8:00 PM

2/5 - Detroit vs. NY Rangers, 7:00 PM (In HD)

2/6 - Minnesota vs. Dallas, 8:00 PM

2/12 - Detroit vs. Philadelphia, 7:00 PM (In HD)

2/13 - Anaheim vs. Colorado, 9:00 PM

2/19 - Boston vs. Philadelphia, 7:00 PM (In HD)

2/20 - Philadelphia vs. Buffalo, 7:00 PM

2/26 - DOUBLEHEADER, Atlanta vs. Boston, 7:00 PM (In HD), Anaheim vs. San Jose, 10:00 PM

2/27 - Dallas vs. Tampa Bay, 7:30 PM

3/5 - NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers, 7:00 PM (In HD)

3/6 - Colorado vs. Boston, 7:00 PM

3/12 - Washington vs. Atlanta, 7:00 PM (In HD)

3/13 - DOUBLEHEADER, Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh, 7:30 PM, Chicago vs. San Jose, 10:30 PM

3/19 - Pittsburgh vs. NY Rangers, 7:00 PM (In HD)

3/20 - Phoenix vs. Minnesota, 8:00 PM

3/26 - Anaheim vs. Detroit, 7:00 PM (In HD)

3/27 - DOUBLEHEADER, New Jersey vs. NY Islanders, 7:30 PM, Los Angeles vs. San Jose, 10:30 PM

4/2 - St. Louis vs. Dallas, 8:00 PM (In HD)

4/3 - Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh, 7:00 PM

Commentators

Studio Host

Bill Clement

Studio Analysts

Keith Jones

Brian Engblom

Eddie Olczyk

Supplemental Studio Hosts

Jack Edwards

Al Trautwig

Lead Play By Play Man

Mike Emrick

Lead Color Man

Eddie Olczyk

Supplemental Play By Play Men

Joe Beninati

John Forslund

John Ahlers

Jack Edwards

Rick Peckham

Dave Strader

Supplemental Color Analysts

Daryl Reaugh

John Vanbiesbrouck

Darren Eliot

Andy Brickley

Reporters

Bob Harwood

Chris Simpson

Billy Jaffe

I am just glad to see Buffalo is getting good coverage this season, it allows me to see a few of their games this season as I don't have Center Ice, and the Avalanche moved to a network that my cable station doesn't carry.

I'm enjoying listening to John Forslund call a game neutrally. I'm not crazy about him on FSN South, but he works well when catering to both sides.

Kind of like with Kenny Albert for me, I hate him because he's the Ranger guy. But when he did OLN, or does the Mets or Giants on FOX, the hate softens.

Having had a messed up work schedule for almost all of October, today was the first night I was able to sit and watch a game on VS. I gotta say their coverage is better than it was last season. They have improved quite a few things and now I can honestly say that they are not that bad.

• 3 months later...

I hate, HATE Versus. I almost turned off the Sabres game last night until I learned that Emerick was not doing the play by play for the game. The in-studio team is no better. The 2 guys they had last night were pretty good and the camera angles are getting better. I just feel everytime I am watching Vs (which is rare b/c I watch CI to the exclusion of Vs and NBC most times) I am watching a local cable production of hockey.

I think at this point, I can't wait for next season as I will reorder CI (best $160 I ever spent) and order the NHL Network and just stop watching NBC and Vs.

I hate, HATE Versus. I almost turned off the Sabres game last night until I learned that Emerick was not doing the play by play for the game. The in-studio team is no better. The 2 guys they had last night were pretty good and the camera angles are getting better. I just feel everytime I am watching Vs (which is rare b/c I watch CI to the exclusion of Vs and NBC most times) I am watching a local cable production of hockey.

I think at this point, I can't wait for next season as I will reorder CI (best $160 I ever spent) and order the NHL Network and just stop watching NBC and Vs.

Look at the bright side the Sabres are 6-0 on VS this year.

Heh...good to know I'm not the only one who hates Emrick. He has the voice of a Smurf.

You have the option of ordering the NHL Network up there in Buffalo? You're lucky. We don't get anything but local down here unless you get the Center Ice package, which definitely is the best money spent.

Heh...good to know I'm not the only one who hates Emrick. He has the voice of a Smurf.

You have the option of ordering the NHL Network up there in Buffalo? You're lucky. We don't get anything but local down here unless you get the Center Ice package, which definitely is the best money spent.

Nope we can't get it I wish we did though. I have the center ice package but I want Time Warner to get back ESPN U at least as an option to purchase so I can see the early rounds of the NCAA hockey tournament.

Nope we can't get it I wish we did though. I have the center ice package but I want Time Warner to get back ESPN U at least as an option to purchase so I can see the early rounds of the NCAA hockey tournament.

Apparently the NHL Network is negotiating with all of the cable networks in order to get on. Hopefully that means it will be on TimeWarner/Cablevision/Comcast/whatever for next season.

Speaking of the NCAA's, Comcast down here broadcasts a decent amount of Hockey East games on their Channel 8 so I am hoping that they will cover some of the NCAA's this year. Is ESPN still doing the semi and finals this year?