MATTHEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMLFAN

Don't care who got him, as long as it wasn't Edmonton. I don't want to see another top pick wasted.

Vancouver got the short stick. Tml just got a bailout.

Mr. Linden looked pretty pissed.

Yup, we got top pick, but that doesn't mean it equals success. Hope I'm wrong, just used to so much suck in T.O.

Yup, we got top pick, but that doesn't mean it equals success. Hope I'm wrong, just used to so much suck in T.O.

Have faith in uncle Lou and the Shannaplan. It's all coming together.

Matthews honestly didn't look or sound all that thrilled when he found out Toronto won the draft lottery and that he would probably be going there. I'm a big Maple Leafs fan so I hope he works out well for them.

Lots of people have been saying that Laine looks like the better player now. Watch Toronto make the wrong choice.

Edited by DC Red Wings

Very happy how my jets moved up in the draft !

Beat it. This thread is all about the Leafs.

Lots of people have been saying that Laine looks like the better player now. Watch Toronto make the wrong choice.

No chance. Leafs have been trying to find a #1 center since Sundin left. We finally have one.

Sheesh sensitive .... I would expect more joy from getting the #1 pick. Can only imagine the joy if the oilers claimed that pick from leafs nation.

He will be playing in the upcoming World Championships so everyone will get to see a preview of Matthews against some NHL'ers pretty soon.

The World Championships will also be the only time you get to see him play with NHL'ers until he hits free agency.

Went to bed, woke up and realized it wasn't all just a dream. This is literally the best thing to happen to the Leafs in 13 years.

The Leafs will find a way to screw it up.

You can't rain on my parade good sir.

If I was in his situation, I would stay in Switzerland. The media and the fans will ruin this kid. Shame.

If I was in his situation, I would stay in Switzerland. The media and the fans will ruin this kid. Shame.

So you would should stay in Switzerland instead of playing in the best league in the world, for the biggest hockey market in the league, making more money on an entry level contract then you would in the Swiss league? What about if Montreal, or Vancouver, or even Philly (yes, I know Philly wasn't in the lottery) somehow managed to win the lottery. You don't think the fans and media are just as bad in those cities? Give me a break.

This idea that in the world of sports the Toronto maple leafs have the toughest market to play in is ridiculous. There are more popular sports, bigger markets and tougher fans out there. Like an athlete can't thrive off of pressure and expectations. Especially now with the way the management has been sheltering their players from a lot of the crap they used to have to deal with, it should be a great time to be a maple leaf. Expectations for success were non-existent last year, so things are going to change now, but I think the media will continue to give the team a chance to grow and manage those expectations.

Edited by Reivax

Play in Europe until he becomes a free agent or is traded to a real organization. The world does not revolve around Toronto. It's unfortunate that people there don't get that. I had Bell TV for 8 years, so I know exactly how the media in T.O., and Canada, works in this situation. He will get chewed up and spit out. Mark my words. Let's come back to this in 5 years or so and see who's right. I know who the odds favor.

On a complete aside i do somewhat agree with a few things. Crosby and Ovechkin and Malkin and McDavid all make the pressure on young kids go way up because there is this onus that a 1st overall is only successful if they become a franchise blockbuster player. Look at Jack Eichel as a second overall pick who is totally lost in the discussion because he plays in Buffalo... Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Washington are all HUGE hockey markets but the above post is true. Canadian Hockey on a NATIONAL level is reported as Toronto being the Mecca of hockey teams (which they currently are far from) and now a kid who didnt dominate in Switzerland and is tasked along with Marner and Nylander to be a hockey messiah is going to be compared to Sid and Connor by EVERY analyst in Canada. While absolutely he SHOULD play in the Nhl and go wherever he is drafted, its going to be a tough go in Toronto with Canadian media.

Let me hear what you consider a real organization Rab. When was the last time Toronto was in the position they are now drafting 1st overall and what happened with that player? If I remember correctly it worked out pretty well.

You had bell tv for 8 years eh so you only know how the media is during the time the Leafs have been an absolute tire fire. I'd like to see how any other media in a major market would be if their team was garbage for as long as the Leafs have been but Toronto is the only place he would get chewed up and spit out?

So you don't think if the Leafs draft Matthews he will be a Leaf in five years. What are you gonna give me when he is?

I think the reason why Canadian fans are so bitter towards Toronto is because of all the media attention they get even with the product they put on the ice. I think other Canadians feel they don't get the same share towards their own home team. Maybe it is a bit like the Cowboy's mentality being branded America's team. I'm from Vancouver and I get it but I have nothing against the leafs, as a matter of fact I have very fond memories watching them on HNIC when I was a kid. Anyways doesn't really affect me as Ive been a Stars fan all my life and now live in the states :D