Should I send these back to CSL?

mdwsta4

I just posted a number of jerseys that CSL returned to me. While Most are done to team specs as I requested, two I have issues with. Wanted to get some feedback/advice before reaching out to them.

First up is an ultrafil jersey that was previously numbered with an incorrect font. I stripped the jersey, however was left with a few spots of residue that I simply could not remove. In my email and the individual post it put on each jersey I mentioned that the residue would need to be removed and that I'd accept the cleaning charges.

Unfortunately, the jersey was not cleaned and the black residue can clearly be seen toward the bottom of the '2' and just beneath the nameplate between the '2' and '8'

DSCF1321-vi.jpg

Closer photo of the reside toward the bottom of the 2

DSCF1322-vi.jpg

Now while I wanted it cleaned, it's not terrible and if need be, I can live with the marks. However, the name plate is not ultrafil, but air knit like on EDGE 2.0 jerseys. Now this is something I do not accept. I did not specify an ultrafil nameplate when I sent it in, but I have never needed to do that in the past with ultrafil jerseys. If it's an ultrafil jersey it gets an ultrafil nameplate.... (or so I would assume)

DSCF1323-vi.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up is a Rawlings Cubs jersey from the mid-80's. I'd been searching for a while for a pullover style in the size I wanted. Finally found one although it did have an incorrect number on the back. Stripped it except for one spot with residue. Like with the Larmer, I requested it be cleaned. I also stated in both the email and individual post it note that I'm doing the jersey up as an '84 Cubs and only need the single layer '8'. I did not include a photo, but have sent similar jerseys to them in the past without issue.

DSCF1345-vi.jpg

it came back with a current font/numbering which includes the name:

DSCF1346-vi.jpg

This is how the number should be and obviously no name

DawsonGW-vi.jpg

In addition, the jersey was not cleaned and there is still a residue mark to the left of the '8.' Again, I could live with the mark if need be, but the rest of it is completely wrong.

DSCF1347-vi.jpg

Should there be any problems with contacting CSL and request that they redo both jerseys correctly? I was not charged a cleaning fee on either jersey, however I was quoted $8 for the Cubs jersey and the invoice shows $40 (obviously because the customization is completely different). While I did not specify the ultrafil nameplate on the Hawks I don't feel as though this should have been necessary. Or if there was any question they should have contacted me.

Wanted to get your guys' thoughts. Thanks!!

Edited by mdwsta4

CSL always goes with airknit on Hawks jerseys unless otherwise requested. Not even sure if they carry ultrafil, I've only gone to them for edge era Hawks jerseys.

As far as the Cubs jersey you could always use it as bonfire fuel, or toilet paper. Etc etc in all seriousness I'd imagine they fix the customization on that one, as obviously they made an obvious error.

Even specific team Customizers will use whatever material they have available at the time for nameplates. You need to specify what you want, and make sure they have it.

If it's not what you ordered, then yes, I would contact them.

Actually CSL uses edge material for nameplates by default on edge jerseys. You have to specify air knit which is what the team uses. And they charge extra for it.

Not sure what you're talking about. Cubs are looking good this year!!

CSL always goes with airknit on Hawks jerseys unless otherwise requested. Not even sure if they carry ultrafil, I've only gone to them for edge era Hawks jerseys.

As far as the Cubs jersey you could always use it as bonfire fuel, or toilet paper. Etc etc in all seriousness I'd imagine they fix the customization on that one, as obviously they made an obvious error.

A few notes:

1) Ask for what you want or you may end up getting something you don't want. If you didn't specify Ultrafil, or ask if they even have Ultrafil, that's not really a "mistake" on their part.

2) The Dawson customization is a clear error on their part if you specified single layer number and no name. I have no idea why they would put Dawson on there if you asked for no name. And use of the double layer when you asked for single is their error and should be fixed.

3) Regarding the leftover residue, I am sure they don't guarantee they can remove everything, and if they do, they are liars. Its entirely possible they attempted to clean it up and failed.

All valid points, thank you. I was extremely specific with all jerseys wrapping each up individually and putting a post-it note on each bag detailing exactly how I wanted them customized. ultrafil nameplate was the only thing I didn't specify. I'll drop them a line and see what they say.

A few notes:

1) Ask for what you want or you may end up getting something you don't want. If you didn't specify Ultrafil, or ask if they even have Ultrafil, that's not really a "mistake" on their part.

2) The Dawson customization is a clear error on their part if you specified single layer number and no name. I have no idea why they would put Dawson on there if you asked for no name. And use of the double layer when you asked for single is their error and should be fixed.

3) Regarding the leftover residue, I am sure they don't guarantee they can remove everything, and if they do, they are liars. Its entirely possible they attempted to clean it up and failed.

All valid points, thank you. I was extremely specific with all jerseys wrapping each up individually and putting a post-it note on each bag detailing exactly how I wanted them customized. ultrafil nameplate was the only thing I didn't specify. I'll drop them a line and see what they say.

I was screwed on that one time when I first started in this hobby, since then I make sure to specify my nameplate material.

Calling them up is the thing to do. I have no experience with them but maybe they'll want their customer happy.

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to clean the residue?

One thing to consider about the Larmer ultrafil is whether CSL is even capable of giving you the font you need for that jersey. It looks like they did not even try to reproduce the 1992/93 font and just used the current font. The letters are way too thick and wide. The back 2 and 8 are wrong, and even the alternate captain A is off. Not to mention the problem with the nameplate material. If this is the best they can do, do you really even want them to redo it? If CSL says that they have no other Hawks fonts available, then I would just have someone else do up a new kit. I could not tell you if I thought it would be fair to ask for a refund, as I do not know what you asked for and what, if anything, CSL promised you regarding an accurate font for this jersey.

Actually CSL uses edge material for nameplates by default on edge jerseys. You have to specify air knit which is what the team uses. And they charge extra for it.

They did the opposite for me recently. Default was air knit, charged extra for edge. The team uses air knit? Didn't know that.

Really not understanding what they did with the Dawson. You asked for no name, a single layer 8, and you got that??

I think in the mid 90's when the Devils wore ultrafil in the current colors (so from 92-93 season to sometime in the middle of the 95-96 season), the Devils also used airknit plates on their jerseys. Not sure if it was some or all but pretty sure they did.

Not sure what the Hawks did, but it could be period with what you have. Just throwing it out there.

Edited by Devilsguy

Just curious. You stated you were doing an '84 jersey, but why go with Dawson? He didn't join the Cubs until '87. Although I love the Hawk and the jersey (if it was done right), but wondering why no one from the 84 team like Sutcliffe, Davis, Sandburg,

Believe I used some goof off/goo gone stuff, an old shirt and iron, and the laundry machine. Those methods had worked for me in the past and worked for most of these. Just a couple of stubborn parts I couldn't get clean.

Bottom part of the 2 and length of the 8 aren't perfect, but I don't think they're that bad. Thickness of the name is definitely something that stood out to me as well. Suppose it's very possible that they can only correctly do current Hawks fonts since they got the contract for the team. Worst case I would strip the nameplate myself and send it off to EPS who I have had do older ultrafils in the past without issue.

One thing to consider about the Larmer ultrafil is whether CSL is even capable of giving you the font you need for that jersey. It looks like they did not even try to reproduce the 1992/93 font and just used the current font. The letters are way too thick and wide. The back 2 and 8 are wrong, and even the alternate captain A is off. Not to mention the problem with the nameplate material. If this is the best they can do, do you really even want them to redo it? If CSL says that they have no other Hawks fonts available, then I would just have someone else do up a new kit. I could not tell you if I thought it would be fair to ask for a refund, as I do not know what you asked for and what, if anything, CSL promised you regarding an accurate font for this jersey.

I actually misspoke. Looked back at the email conversation I had with them and they stated the team uses edge, not air knit and that it's $10 extra to do. NOW I'm actually getting a little upset as I specifically stated on every single edge jersey I wanted them done exactly to team specs including name plate! ARGH!

They did the opposite for me recently. Default was air knit, charged extra for edge. The team uses air knit? Didn't know that.

Nope, Hawks used ultrafil nameplates

I think in the mid 90's when the Devils wore ultrafil in the current colors (so from 92-93 season to sometime in the middle of the 95-96 season), the Devils also used airknit plates on their jerseys. Not sure if it was some or all but pretty sure they did.

Not sure what the Hawks did, but it could be period with what you have. Just throwing it out there.

You are correct; mistyped the year, but mid-80's Cubs jerseys were all the same in that regard. No changes from 84 to 87. Already have a blue pullover '84 Sandberg and wanted to add a different player to my collection.

Just curious. You stated you were doing an '84 jersey, but why go with Dawson? He didn't join the Cubs until '87. Although I love the Hawk and the jersey (if it was done right), but wondering why no one from the 84 team like Sutcliffe, Davis, Sandburg,

Not sure what you're talking about. Cubs are looking good this year!!

Just a little friendly Chicago baseball rivalry banter! The sox are looking good as well! Edited by Jdems93

Sadly, as you are well aware, we will never agree on baseball ;) haha!

Just a little friendly Chicago baseball rivalry banter! The sox are looking good as well!

This is a very good point, and I can just add on that they are not able to do the old font, as "the machines used to make those jerseys no longer exist." Last time I'd asked them about this, they did not want to take the job as they could not guarantee accuracy.

As OP has now stated, the team uses Edge for nameplate, and it is only done by request (and is usually $10 more)

If I were OP, I'd send both back. Unfortunately, with CSL, you have to be very specific on your written notes -- and pictures are really useful, even for things they should know(I affix them to the jersey, usually with paperclips). Im not sure what the communication between the guys answering the phone and the ones running the machines looks like, but this is not the first time I've seen an issue like the Cubs one unfortunately.

Worst case I would strip the nameplate myself and send it off to EPS who I have had do older ultrafils in the past without issue.

Maybe I'm just pickier than you, but I've had EPS do 2 1990's CCM Hawks jerseys, and while their version of the lettering will look better than CSL's, it's not perfect either. Their nameplate letters are too thin, which is the opposite of what you got with CSL. Also, some of EPS' back numbers have issues with some of the rectangular holes being either too elongated or not elongated enough. It's amazing to me that such a simple font is so difficult for many customizers to get right.

I'd like to chime in.

I recently dropped 10 jerseys off at City Sports Lettering. (Mainly Hawks, one Cubs and one Sox)

2 of them were Ultrafil - I had Belfour put on one and Grimson put on the other.

I spoke with Tom (the owner) when I brought them in and asked if he could do the #'s correctly for the early 90's

He has a guy working for him that can re-produce anything and asked me for pics. When I got them back I was more than pleased that they got the #'s right.

Tom showed me a box that the NHL gave him, inside was every team spec's for lettering and #'s from 1995 - 2007 and he told me whatever he doesn't have he can have his guy make.

Currently they are doing a 1997-98 Coyotes jersey for me.

I would suggest you go in, see if you can talk with Tom and make sure you are specific with what you want, source pics of gamers for reference.
It wouldn't be fair to ask him to re-do what's already been done unless you were very specific with what you wanted the 1st time around but moving forward it may resolve issues and make sure you get what you want

From my experience I'd swear by CSL's work.

Has the OP contacted CSL to ask what they will do for him yet? I'm kinda of waiting to see what the resolution is...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, been out of the country for the past two weeks. I spoke to them and will be returning the jerseys to be customized correctly. Sucks since I have to pay for shipping again, but whatever. As long as they get done correctly.

Has the OP contacted CSL to ask what they will do for him yet? I'm kinda of waiting to see what the resolution is...

In light of what Hockey Bob said about CSL having a guy who could reproduce anything, I would be really interested in seeing how these turn out. Please keep us posted.