What would you do...?

DC Red Wings

Pretty interesting article about a collector who lives in Fort McMurray.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/fort-mcmurray-gretzky-collector-saved-jerseys-but-no-longer-so-keen-on-hobby-1.2895561

Not even sure what I'd do...

Very interesting read indeed. Puts things in perspective. I'm sure we'd all feel guilt in that situation but he can't beat himself up over a hobby he truly loves.

Depends what kind of time you have. Losing everything in a fire has to be terrible, and while "things can be replaced", one doesn't always have (or receive from insurance) the money with which to do so. And certain things (many made of Ultrafil and air knit) cannot be replaced.

I guess what I would do is pack up as much stuff as possible and go. I feel bad for the guy.

Shawn is a great guy, and he's been involved with almost EVERYONE in the hobby. His Gretzky gamer collection is second to none.

He posted several pictures on Facebook during his evacuation, while his brother, a firefighter, stayed behind to do his job. It's one thing if you are alone, and only have to care for yourself, but you think if you had a family, priorities change and you would be in full panic mode to keep everyone safe.

We are all glad he and his family are safe. Makes arguing over these sweaty shirts a little less important after all.

Shawn is a great guy, and he's been involved with almost EVERYONE in the hobby. His Gretzky gamer collection is second to none.

He posted several pictures on Facebook during his evacuation, while his brother, a firefighter, stayed behind to do his job. It's one thing if you are alone, and only have to care for yourself, but you think if you had a family, priorities change and you would be in full panic mode to keep everyone safe.

We are all glad he and his family are safe. Makes arguing over these sweaty shirts a little less important after all.

Well said. As much as I would love to say "I would not leave without all of my jerseys", I totally would if I had to. I'd be more focused on getting my family out with their stuff, then getting stuff like picture albums, etc., and if there was time/space, I would throw the jerseys in as well.

We've had a couple families from the church lose everything in house fires over the years and I can't imagine how traumatic it must be. Makes you thankful for what you have and does adjust your priorities as well.

I too saw those FB posts and it is a chilling and sobering reminder as to priorities and perspective in life.

That is very chilling indeed. Fire is probably the biggest worry I have when it comes to a natural disaster destroying my home. Plus I live in a townhouse where it doesn't even have to start in my home, just has to be next to it and it could wipe me out. If I had only 30 minutes to pack up as much as I can before my house burns down, I would make sure I have my fiancee, my dog, my important paperwork, clothes, food, photo album, engagement/wedding jewelery first before I would even think of of packing up my jerseys.

Shawn is a very prominent collector and feel for him. From what I've heard his house was spared from the fire and his family is safe thankfully, but it def puts things into perspective.

Very scary. Good to hear that he and his family are OK!

Btw, did anyone read MeiGray's IG post about Mike Brodeur? His house was destroyed by the fires annd his personal game worn collection went up in flames. MGG already gave him the jerseys they had in stock and sent out a request to collectors for his other jerseys. Very classy move!

Very scary. Good to hear that he and his family are OK!

Btw, did anyone read MeiGray's IG post about Mike Brodeur? His house was destroyed by the fires annd his personal game worn collection went up in flames. MGG already gave him the jerseys they had in stock and sent out a request to collectors for his other jerseys. Very classy move!

Saw that too. Great move by them.

I think I remember Meigray pulled the jerseys they had of the players who died in the Lokomotiv crash and offer them to the families first when it happened back in 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a gameworn St.Johns Icecaps and I believe the team is sending the funds to Fort Mac. I thought it made good sense.

So if they can send 100 percent as a business I will send 50 percent of an item I start an auction on in the next few days.

Im throwing out a challenge to anyone else here who might have an abundance of luxury items at their disposal.

I will ask that whoever buys doesn't rate the transaction until I donate through whatever channel they choose whether its red cross or what have you.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HALF-PROCEEDS-TO-FORT-MAC-Jose-Theodore-Montreal-Canadiens-Worn-Glove-MVP-2000-/152102786982?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

For full disclosure this gesture is not about me and I want to make that very clear. I got the idea from the St.John's Icecaps, the Montreal Canadiens farm team so fitting it's a Canadiens item. My thought process is I'm not a game worn equipment collector so i could stand to part with this.

Edited by JJM4

And to answer the question of the thread it has made me rethink how I'd display my jerseys. I would not keep that big of collection because fire is always possible and would make every effort to grab what I have which would not take me a lot of effort. Heirlooms first when you have no kids or spouse.

Heirlooms first when you have no kids or spouse.

Well that depends if you like your kids or spouse.

:)

Lol

Wife and children come first but I think he has somewhat of a responsibility to the game and history of hockey to attempt to salvage iconic and historic items such as the Gretzky jerseys. I think seeing people losing everything they had put things into perspective for him and he now sees the value of his personal family mementos on par with any jersey he could have ever hoped to acquire. He will be fine and I am sure the collection will eventually continue as his life gets back to normal. I'm sure he loved and cared for his family before the fires, this will just make it that much stronger.

Edited by jerseymikea