It arrived today v. 8.0

Brilliant!

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one is a 54. Its a bit smaller than I usually wear my jerseys, I like them on the looser side, but it certainly fits and I am very excited to have it. 

i thought it was a little weird that its a player cut and not a goalie cut, but Billington was a smaller guy and the equipment was smaller too. Or, maybe the team issued him a player cut and that's why it was never worn. Who knows. In any event, its got MeiGray paperwork to confirm its a game issued, and that didn't really factor into my decision anyway, other than it means the 10th Anniversary patch is a legit one which is pretty exciting. 

Edited by mfitz804

Back then the Devils equipment staff did a lot of things they don't do now.  Could be the size was off and that's why he never wore it.  Could also be that he never got a chance.  Terreri became the starter that year after Burke sat out and Billington became the backup with a couple of no-name goalies playing a few games each in between.  I think one of those two was Martin something.  Who knows and who cares about him.

Another thing that happened that year with the Devils is that they wore their set 1 jerseys for a really long time.  As in they wore their set 1's from the beginning of the season until about 2-3 weeks left in the season.  That's why their set 1's from that year tend to be destroyed (and more valulable) while the set 2's tend to be pretty clean.  It could be Billington just never had the chance to wear this one as well.  Who knows for sure though.

34 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Back then the Devils equipment staff did a lot of things they don't do now.  Could be the size was off and that's why he never wore it.  Could also be that he never got a chance.  Terreri became the starter that year after Burke sat out and Billington became the backup with a couple of no-name goalies playing a few games each in between.  I think one of those two was Martin something.  Who knows and who cares about him.

Another thing that happened that year with the Devils is that they wore their set 1 jerseys for a really long time.  As in they wore their set 1's from the beginning of the season until about 2-3 weeks left in the season.  That's why their set 1's from that year tend to be destroyed (and more valulable) while the set 2's tend to be pretty clean.  It could be Billington just never had the chance to wear this one as well.  Who knows for sure though.

I mean, its pretty clear that this thing didn't even see use as a warmup, there's not so much as a mark on it. Its brand new. 

I'm thinking it is a sizing issue.  Devils back then were super cheap and wouldn't waste money on prepping GI's like candy like a lot of teams do today.

2015-2016 Brandon Bollig gameworn Flames 3rd jersey, Set 1 – shortened fight strap, customized (tightened) sleeves with numerous material-backed repairs to those sleeves -

BtKEuv6.jpg

4QprCJg.jpg

A9vOZ4g.jpg

B7WsS1l.jpg

2015-2016 Brandon Prust Canucks GI 3rd jersey –

lE01vQQ.jpg

LhXaAe6.jpg

2014-2015 Chris Clouthier gameworn Cornwall River Kings (LNAH) road jersey – some fight damage to the neck and major piling to the inside back from the fight strap –

enHh0YO.jpg

MnD8dj1.jpg

40 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Mfitz, if you ever consider moving that Billington, please let me know. A Devils goalie jersey (aside from Brodeur) is on my list.

Will do. 

8 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

10 quid says The Dude will have it next week :P

I wish!

15 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

10 quid says The Dude will have it next week :P

How much is 10 squids in real money?

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

How much is 10 squids in real money?

A box of frozen calamari is roughly $5. 

Frozen?? Pffft. Fresh or nothing you savages.

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

My auction haul arrived today! Two pieces of American history. One good, one bad.

First...the pride of Dearborn, Michigan...Al Iafrate's 1984 Team USA regular season home jersey:

nalTeamcirca19841aPedersonmesh-vi.jpgnalTeamcirca19841bPedersonmesh-vi.jpg

Pederson's mesh throughout. Pederson's got the USA contract early on but the jerseys provided to the team only lasted 12 games after the players complained that they were too short. So, USA Hockey terminated their agreement with Pederson's and signed with Cooper for the Games themselves. There isn't a ton of wear but there is some obvious evidence of use. The sleeves have marks on them and there are a few unrepaired holes as well. The twill even seems like some variation of dazzle when you see it up close. And look at the crooked A in the nameplate! Awesome!

Next, a 1996 World Juniors Mike McBain white jersey:

onalTeamcirca19961aNikeairknit-vi.jpgonalTeamcirca19961bNikeairknit-vi.jpg

This thing is pretty well hammered. Tons of stick marks throughout and a gigantic repair stretching from the hemline; all the way up the chest to the collar and out through the right arm. It seems that he had to be cut out of the jersey at some point during the tournament and then it was stitched back up for future use. That probably explains the blood all over the front of it too. Having said that, I just read that this dude was actually arrested and charged with sexual abuse of a minor back in 2012 and is currently serving 4-15 years for it. Does that bring some bad juju down on me? Maybe that's why I got it for so cheap. Yeesh.

On 6/10/2016 at 5:25 PM, Brilliant! said:

Next, a 1996 World Juniors Mike McBain white jersey:

This thing is pretty well hammered. Tons of stick marks throughout and a gigantic repair stretching from the hemline; all the way up the chest to the collar and out through the right arm. It seems that he had to be cut out of the jersey at some point during the tournament and then it was stitched back up for future use. That probably explains the blood all over the front of it too. Having said that, I just read that this dude was actually arrested and charged with sexual abuse of a minor back in 2012 and is currently serving 4-15 years for it. Does that bring some bad juju down on me? Maybe that's why I got it for so cheap. Yeesh.

I remember this jersey well; I picked it up from whoever had owned it for the previous 15 years or so, and it's kicked around a bit since then.

The story is that McBain was checked from behind headfirst into the boards during a WJC game, and the jersey was cut off of him around the time that he was stretchered off.  Team USA asked Nike to provide another jersey for the remainder of the tournament, which was declined.  In order to have one ready to go in case he was cleared to come back, the equipment guys sewed the whole thing back up.  They actually did a pretty solid job of it as well, taking the time to line up the upper sweep of the red lines so it didn't look butchered at first glance.

You had it too huh? Very cool. I can definitely see him having been injured in it because there's blood all over the front of it. And they did do a good job sewing it back up! That was the first thing I thought when I looked at it closely.

26 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

You had it too huh? Very cool. I can definitely see him having been injured in it because there's blood all over the front of it. And they did do a good job sewing it back up! That was the first thing I thought when I looked at it closely.

That jersey is pretty badass. Could we see some pictures of the repair?

That 94 ASG patch is so nice. Good thing they didn't wear them on the white jerseys so I don't have to decide between that and the SCF patch for my white replica.

21 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

£10 is worth $14.25 as for dollars being real money, I'll beg to differ, it's like monopoly money..

How many farthings to a schilling guv'ner?

i think we can all agree that Canadian Dollars are the real currency of the world. Nothing like a few crisp Borden's in your wallet.