The Great NHL Debate: Is It a Sweater or a Jersey?

JunkyardAthletic

This topic has probably been debated about as much as how to pronounce the word 'gif'. Hint: It's "JIF", like the peanut butter brand ;)

I don't care that I'm wrong, I'll never say "JIF." Never drop a hard J.

Anyway, I was trying to remember exactly what dumb name Reebok came up with back in 2007 (A: Rbk Edge Uniform System), and I came across this article. Good summary of that screwup.

http://www.wired.com/2007/10/good-science-ca/

I almost always say "jersey" just because that's the word I grew up with. But it's cool that they used to be actual sweaters, and I'm always interested in seeing reproductions. In fact, I'm trying to find a way to get to Seattle this summer so I can go to the Ebbets Field Flannels store. I really like their hats, but there's no way I'm forking over that much for a baseball jersey or hockey sweater without trying one on first.

Edited by furiousd

I don't know about anyone else but I still call them shemales

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=1800&&page=4

This topic has probably been debated about as much as how to pronounce the word 'gif'. Hint: It's "JIF", like the peanut butter brand ;)

The first word of the acronym isn't pronounced jraphics.

I'm more annoyed when people refer a game worn jersey as a "piece".

Equally annoying is when someone refers their collection to a "museum".

Dude, it's your closet full of f-cking jerseys!!! Get over yourself.

Straight from the horse's mouth :D

The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations, Mr. Wilhite said. They are wrong. It is a soft G, pronounced jif. End of story.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?_r=0&referer=http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/2013/05/23/battle-over-gif-pronunciation-erupts/?referer=

All that proves is that he is wrong too.

And they're jerseys. Hockey sweaters certainly exist, but they sure as hell aren't being used today.

It's only a sweater if you come from a place that pronounces hockey "Hawkey". If you say it like that, sweater sounds right.

It's only a sweater if you come from a place that pronounces hockey "Hawkey". If you say it like that, sweater sounds right.

Hawkey with cawfey?

I feel like it went from sweater to jersey when mesh came in. I know that is compelling and factual. ;)

I would base it entirely around material but we all know I tend to manufacture my own definitions so just my $.02

Edited by JJM4

Sweater also makes more sense as the name in hockey “because you sweat in a sweater,” he said. Ummmm yeh..... okay Grapes, nice logic there.

Personally, if it's wool or a heavy cotton/acrylicl like the early days I'll call it a sweater as that's what it is.

For the modern era when dureen, poly and all the variations of ultrafil, airnkit etc.... I call it a jersey.

This is the first I'm seeing the article, so once again you guys are the ones informing me of something that came out, lol.

I thought it was weird when I initially received an email requesting an interview...with the Wall Street Journal?

Vipal was cool, we chatted for a while, and I gave him a lot of info on the evolution of jerseys, but I'm pretty sure I said something more along the lines of:

"The connotation that goes with a 'sweater' implies a heavier knit garment, and gives a warm, fuzzy feeling that protects you from the cold, whereas a 'jersey' is more of a functional garment made up of materials and techniques that are meant to compliment the actions of the athlete."

To be honest, more so since we talked for a while and he later followed up with a 2nd phone call to fact check and discuss a bit further, I expected a bit more info in the article...but hey, anything's good, I suppose.

I did think it was pretty cool when he said he was talking with Messier, Richter, and Grapes, and he shared a few stories re.

He said Grapes in particular was talking to him about the hockey vernacular in general, how Americans have really changed things, and as an example, he said Cherry said 'dangle' , back in the day, simply meant to skate fast. "Hey Smith, get out there and dangle!" means hey Smith, get out there and skate your butt off.

Whereas today, dangle is normally associated with fancy stick handling and/or deking someone out.

In other news, I'm meeting with the Senators tomorrow to go over the Sens book, so should have some news re soon enough....then it's back to '94-04 :D

If you see Melnyk, tell em this Leafs fan thinks he's doing a great job running the Senaturds into the ground.

On 6/5/2016 at 9:46 AM, HannuVirta said:

Sweater also makes more sense as the name in hockey “because you sweat in a sweater,” he said. Ummmm yeh..... okay Grapes, nice logic there.

Personally, if it's wool or a heavy cotton/acrylicl like the early days I'll call it a sweater as that's what it is.

For the modern era when dureen, poly and all the variations of ultrafil, airnkit etc.... I call it a jersey.

These are my thoughts exactly.