NHL Team Customizers

Not sure where else to post as it doesn't require its own topic (yet?) but if anyone was thinking of getting a 2016-2017 blackhawks roster player lettered up, I'd hold off for a couple weeks. There's a couple proposals out there to change some portion of the customization for the gamers. I'm told team is reviewing and we should hear back fairly soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got in touch with Blakes sports lettering. This is my first time dealing with them. They've advised me they do not accept any online payments or credit cards over the phone? They only accept cash or money order? I know they are a reputable company but makes me raise my eyebrows at this day and age. Can someone confirm they have paid them before using money order? This coupled with the fact that it's almost impossible to reach them makes me a bit concerned. Thanks

Edited by rattlestar

On 7/27/2016 at 0:38 AM, rattlestar said:

I finally got in touch with Blakes sports lettering. This is my first time dealing with them. They've advised me they do not accept any online payments or credit cards over the phone? They only accept cash or money order? I know they are a reputable company but makes me raise my eyebrows at this day and age. Can someone confirm they have paid them before using money order? This coupled with the fact that it's almost impossible to reach them makes me a bit concerned. Thanks

Can confirm.

I actually forgot to send a check in with my jersey, and was mailed it and an invoice back at the same time (though, it was to work, so that may have had something to dow ith it). Overnighted them a check.

In any case, checks/MOs are the way to go with Blake's. No CC/Online payments (though there might be a service who'll send MOs on your behalf?)

On 7/27/2016 at 1:38 AM, rattlestar said:

I found it a little strange at first too, but that's just how they do business. I've done several jerseys with them and always pay by personal check with no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, who best does the Rangers Liberty jerseys?

Just won a Starter one on eBay, navy. Haven't decided who to get yet... how hard is it to get a Starter/NHL logo to be able to make it a double tagged Gretzky?

19 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

I think Keener offers the service of adding the double logos.

I'm not sure he WOULD actually do that. I've asked him for similar tasks in the past, and he said he won't be able to do them due to copyright reasons. 

Weird. He shows double-tagged Gretzkys on his site as part of his past work. I always just assumed that he did the tagging. It's worth an inquiry email to him, I'd say. 

Maybe now that he's started up more of an official business he can't do that kind of stuff anymore.

7 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Maybe now that he's started up more of an official business he can't do that kind of stuff anymore.

When I sent him my 1991/92 Sharks jersey about a month ago, I asked him to apply the Custom Crafted logo they had on the rear outside hem, and he flat-out said he can't due to copyright reasons. Not sure if he can do Starter, even though they're no longer in business. 

He used to have jerseys sent out for double logos not that long ago.  He even offered to add on double CCM logos to some of my Gretzkys.  But maybe like TMLFAN said, he can't do that kind of stuff anymore.

It will be interesting to hear what he says. Just out of curiosity though, did you guys who got turned down ever specifically ask for a double logo (duplicating an already existing logo), or was it to add a different company's (e.g. Custom Crafted or Cosby) logo to a jersey they had nothing to do with customizing?  

Thanks, I was hoping maybe he wouldn't have as much of an issue with the double logos.  Of course, all of these examples involve unauthorized duplication of a company logo, but for some reason it doesn't seem quite as bad just to add another logo.  I mean, if you were CCM, would you be that upset if someone added a second CCM logo to a legit CCM product, as opposed to putting a CCM logo on another company's product, or even worse, a counterfeit one?  I guess Keener's just playing it safe now, which is the smart thing to do, I suppose.

30 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Thanks, I was hoping maybe he wouldn't have as much of an issue with the double logos.  Of course, all of these examples involve unauthorized duplication of a company logo, but for some reason it doesn't seem quite as bad just to add another logo.  I mean, if you were CCM, would you be that upset if someone added a second CCM logo to a legit CCM product, as opposed to putting a CCM logo on another company's product, or even worse, a counterfeit one?  I guess Keener's just playing it safe now, which is the smart thing to do, I suppose.

Yea, I'll totally get it if he won't do it. Would just give me the "accurate" Gretzky option.

Even still, I have a huge list to choose from... Gretzky, Messier, LaFontaine, Robitaille, Kovalev, Leetch, Richter... I won't be short on options.

Getting back to your original question, you have definitely picked a very difficult jersey to get lettered accurately.  Even Cosby can't do them correctly any more.  I still haven't managed to get any of mine done up completely to my satisfaction.  I suppose I'd try Keener next.  Just keep in mind that the font is different in every Starter season.

1 hour ago, LAK74 said:

From Keener's point of view, its irrelevant. Its a violation of copyright to reproduce the CCM logo no matter where you put it. 

25 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Getting back to your original question, you have definitely picked a very difficult jersey to get lettered accurately.  Even Cosby can't do them correctly any more.  I still haven't managed to get any of mine done up completely to my satisfaction.  I suppose I'd try Keener next.  Just keep in mind that the font is different in every Starter season.

Awesome, lol. I mean, it was a great deal on eBay and I'm not even positive it will fit me (not sure how those are sized compared to Edge 2.0's), so worst case I'll just put it back out there for what I paid for it.

Did you get the size 52 one from 96/97?  If so, they tend to run pretty big.

17 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Did you get the size 52 one from 96/97?  If so, they tend to run pretty big.

Yup. Will definitely be interesting. I tend to wear a 52 or 54 in Edge 2.0, so maybe this is all a moot point anyway.