NHL Team Customizers

So, if I want a Sabres Slug from 05-06 customized, is there any option to go? Seems like SSC Custom Apparel is a no go now? Anyone know how ActionSpotSports would do if told to customize a 05-06? Will they be good? Could need a proper Briere authentic as I got jersey foul at home as he did not wear the edges with the rounded bottom.. And there seems to be good deals out on Sabres Slug 6100's.

Edited by Lumpjaw

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/29/2017 at 2:27 PM, TheKevinShow said:

What is the procedure for getting a jersey customized by Custom Crafted, and what payment methods do they take? I'm thinking of sending out several of my authentics this week to their respective customizers.

Hundred dollar bills, Hogan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyqHfWgwjM

But in all seriousness, it's either cash or money order.

In the past, I would call and ask them how much a job would cost, they would tell me, and then I would mail in the jersey with a paper saying what my order was, along with the payment. Then, I would wait a while, and eventually find a UPS package at my door with a nice styled-up jersey inside.

It'll be more pricey than most other suppliers, and it may take a while to get your order back. But if you want original accuracy, then that's the price you'll have to pay.

2 hours ago, Lumpjaw said:

So, if I want a Sabres Slug from 05-06 customized, is there any option to go? Seems like SSC Custom Apparel is a no go now? Anyone know how ActionSpotSports would do if told to customize a 05-06? Will they be good? Could need a proper Briere authentic as I got jersey foul at home as he did not wear the edges with the rounded bottom.. And there seems to be good deals out on Sabres Slug 6100's.

I can only answer generally, maybe some Sabres fans can give better information. But from what I have encountered with Buffalo jerseys, it seems that the team uses the same kits that all NHL suppliers get, known as the "NHL/NHLPA" kits (e.g. https://www.stahls.com/official-nhl-player-name-number). It doesn't seem that the Sabres kits have had any "in-house" alterations performed on the artwork in the past. So, my best guess would be that Action Spot or even Exclusive Pro would most likely do just fine in lettering your 05-06 jersey using the default NHL name/number kits.

That's quite lame. I don't quite understand the deal with some of these companies. They aren't exactly tiny companies since they have contracts with the NHL. You'd think that they'd all have the ability to do check or credit card payments. It's surprising.

That's another reason why I use EPS so much, BTW. They allow PayPal for payment so I can use PayPal Credit.

3 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

That's quite lame. I don't quite understand the deal with some of these companies. They aren't exactly tiny companies since they have contracts with the NHL. You'd think that they'd all have the ability to do check or credit card payments. It's surprising.

That's another reason why I use EPS so much, BTW. They allow PayPal for payment so I can use PayPal Credit.

That's what I'm talkin' about. How do I know if 12-15 weeks from now I will have cash handy? No worries with EPS/PayPal. 

Plus, as I've mentioned before, my replicas are never going to be on-ice accurate anyway, so if I can save on shipping (sorry, but I'm not going to send one replica separately to one company) then I'll accept tiny inaccuracies that may come from them customizing a jersey that they never did the on-ice versions of.

4 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Call it whatever you like, but that's the way they want to handle your orders and mine. In a sentence: "take it or leave it"

They aren't hurting for your business or mine, so if that's the way they want to do things. who are we to say. They don't have to take our orders, you know. And collectors don't exactly have the greatest reputation for being easy customers either...

On 2/1/2017 at 1:41 PM, TheKevinShow said:

I don't quite understand the deal with some of these companies. They aren't exactly tiny companies since they have contracts with the NHL. .

They are small mom and pop businesses more often than not, that work hard to get contracts with individual teams and keep them.  NONE have a league deal, in ANY league.

If it were up to the NHL, adidas would be lettering and numbering EVERY GAME JERSEY from EVERY TEAM!

#facts

Why doesn't the NHL do that.  They gave exclusive rights to Upper Deck twice to be the sole licensed trading card manufacturer.  Why wouldn't they do that with jerseys too.  All jerseys and Lettering come from Reebok/Adidas 

Does anyone know who I should talk to about getting a current Ottawa Senators 3rd jersey kit?

This jersey:

SKP106_HKN_Penguins_Senators_20170112.JP

I know they use air-knit plates on their regular home and away, but do they use black Edge plates on these?

Edited by DiscoStu

Not sure if this is in the correct thread but when I spoke to an employee at the Canucks team store, they get their work (customization) done by Central Crests and the other one is CYC I think. Never did ask what CYC was. Majority of customization's are done with Central Crests.

This thread is concerned with the companies that letter the on-ice player jerseys.  The companies that letter jerseys for sale in the team store are not necessarily the same ones who letter the on-ice ones.  I had heard that Central Crests might be the official team letterer, but I e-mailed them about that and never received an answer.  My guess is they probably are the team letterer, but I have not included them on the Team Customizer list until I know for sure that they are.

I see. Thanks for reply. From what I gathered, they might have had someone else do their customization but the employee was a few years on the job and only know of Central Crests and said he would look into it but never did get back to me either. But not a problem. When I look at the lettering between the replica and authentic, they look pretty identical. Even though I was told that the authentic lettering and numbering are a bit thicker. Still can't see the difference though.

Any thoughts on maybe adding some additional information to each customizer?

For instance, in order to get Philly Express to do a jersey, it must be sent in through one of the local Flyers Gear Zones (http://gearzone.flyersskatezone.com/).

Or, in order for Ruberti's to do a jersey, you must pay in cash or money order. And, they have no Flo-Knit or Air-Knit nameplates on hand, so you must supply your own.

Or, in order for EPS to do a jersey, you must be specific as possible regarding all materials and sewing styles used.

I dunno, might be helpful?

"Or, in order for EPS to do a jersey, you must be specific as possible regarding all materials and sewing styles used."

That's not for EPS only, that should be done for EVERY customizer. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Pretty cool to get an inside look at what goes on there. I wonder if any of those other people lurking around was Josh. I also wonder what his role is at EPS, since the story said a guy with the last name Taylor and his wife and adult children run the business. Always seems like Josh is the one running point. 

28 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

"55 to 60 on-ice teams" :o  WOW.

That's why Josh always says that collectors are such a small part of their business. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is Ruberti's still in business?  I've been trying to call them for weeks now and everytime I call it rings then goes to a fax machine type dial tone.  I've called their local number and the 888 number.

24 minutes ago, Hawks2797 said:

Is Ruberti's still in business?  I've been trying to call them for weeks now and everytime I call it rings then goes to a fax machine type dial tone.  I've called their local number and the 888 number.

They're still in business, but hard to get a hold of.

There's a post on the Not Game Worn Facebook group that has a 2.0 Skate Canucks jersey done up by Central Crests, giving further credence to the theory of them being the team customizer. I've asked about whether they accept mailed-in orders or in-person only.