Pricing Laughter

The_Dude_Abides

Since there's a thread for customization  laughter...thought I'd start one about pricing laughter. 

Some of these folks are clearly on the drugs. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142039558669

Can someone from Admin please fix my tread title? Thank you. 

13 hours ago, The_Dude_Abides said:

Since there's a thread for customization  laughter...thought I'd start one about pricing laughter. 

Some of these folks are clearly on the drugs. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142039558669

That one was mine!!

And still available from Sportsk, brand new, for $180!

Edited by mfitz804

The seller of the Stevens jersey has purchased jerseys from me in the past, most recently as of a couple months ago.  Mostly concentrates on replicas but sometimes authentics and very, very rarely gamers.  Some of the stuff he buys is to keep, but he also buys to flip a lot.  For the prices I have sold stuff to him he would have to either charge quite a bit or keep it.

In regards to this thread, this thread can get very messy very quickly.  I know there are jerseys out there that are very obviously overpriced, but there are times where people like to comment that a jersey is way overpriced when the asking price is only slightly more than what the general value is.  It is all relative and I can see this being abused by some who don't know the value of certain jerseys.  I am into gamers with a focus on Devils, but that doesn't make me an expert on Canadiens gamers so I do comment on the value of those, but others would.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

The seller of the Stevens jersey has purchased jerseys from me in the past, most recently as of a couple months ago.  Mostly concentrates on replicas but sometimes authentics and very, very rarely gamers.  Some of the stuff he buys is to keep, but he also buys to flip a lot.  For the prices I have sold stuff to him he would have to either charge quite a bit or keep it.

I sold that jersey to him well over a year ago, might even be two years at this point. He's bought a bunch of my stuff over the years as well. I don't think he bought this particular one to flip, since it was so long ago. 

And I agree, he usually winds up buying things for around what I would consider fair market value, so at least as far as my stuff is concerned, there's not a lot of space to flip. 

EDIT: More of my former stuff listed by him as well, including one that I believe had an intermediate stop elsewhere. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

You know what really grinds my gears? People who say "make me an offer" and then don't post a price. A common occurrence on Facebook. 

I assume that's why us civilized people on IJ have a rule against that...

On 6/29/2016 at 9:59 AM, mfitz804 said:

I sold that jersey to him well over a year ago, might even be two years at this point. He's bought a bunch of my stuff over the years as well. I don't think he bought this particular one to flip, since it was so long ago. 

And I agree, he usually winds up buying things for around what I would consider fair market value, so at least as far as my stuff is concerned, there's not a lot of space to flip. 

EDIT: More of my former stuff listed by him as well, including one that I believe had an intermediate stop elsewhere. 

He just posted one of the jerseys I sold to him a few months back.  I got what I think to be fair value for the jersey and god bless him if he gets what he is asking for.

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

You know what really grinds my gears? People who say "make me an offer" and then don't post a price. A common occurrence on Facebook. 

That's a pet peeve of mine.  That sort of stuff is probably one of the top 2 reasons that fights start.  I know most sellers want to get maximum value, but might as well put a price that is a little more than what they are looking for and just put "asking $XXX" so at least there is room for negotiation.

12 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

He just posted one of the jerseys I sold to him a few months back.  I got what I think to be fair value for the jersey and god bless him if he gets what he is asking for.

Exactly. But I don't know what he's thinking on those prices. The ones he got from me are like 250-300% markup. 

1 minute ago, furiousd said:

And its mirror image, "what's the lowest you'll go on that jersey?"

Guess what?  I'm not telling you.

I have never not answered that question "How HIGH will YOU go??"

Is it me or are those prices on Blackhawks gamers offered on FB groups a little too optimistic? I mean $1500 for a 10/11 Brian Campell gamer? $7500 for a mid-80s Al Secord? I mean, why?

Because the team is popular and demand is high so they can jack the prices up because they know someone out there will pay it.

It makes me sad because it basically guarantees that I won't be able to afford a Blackhawks gamer anytime soon.

Just now, TheKevinShow said:

It makes me sad because it basically guarantees that I won't be able to afford a Blackhawks gamer anytime soon.

I have usually paid around $300-$400 for my Hawks gamers. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. But I don't know what he's thinking on those prices. The ones he got from me are like 250-300% markup. 

Mine is at a 130% markup haha.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

And its mirror image, "what's the lowest you'll go on that jersey?"

Guess what?  I'm not telling you.

That's buyers asking to bid against yourself.  The long-time collectors know never do ask that.  It is mostly newbies and flippers who ask that question to me.  Had a guy once ask me that on eBay when I had something that had a best offer option and I told him to make a reasonable offer and the worst I can say is no.  I think my asking was like $250 and he put in an offer for $50 so I just shot it down and didn't bother to counter and immediately blocked him.

19 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Because the team is popular and demand is high so they can jack the prices up because they know someone out there will pay it.

And this pretty much sums it up here.  Whenever I get frustrated with collecting Devils gamers and think asking prices are out of line, I just take one look at the prices Hawks jerseys are going for and feel a lot better.

1 minute ago, TheKevinShow said:

For which players?

John Scott

Kevyn Adams (with WWW patch)

Anders Eriksson

Garnet Exelby (GI)

Bradley Mills (GI)

1 minute ago, TheKevinShow said:

See, there you go. You can't even get reasonable prices for the lesser-known players. 

That is as reasonable as it gets :lol: And yes, those prices are high, but cheap compared to what I mentioned on FB.