The MeiGray Summer Grab Bag is open

TheKevinShow

2 hours ago, spudrock512 said:

I remember one year I participated when the top prize was a Ovi Black jersey (before they went to the red, white, and blue style).  I opened by box to see a black caps jerseys.  I about crapped myself until I turned it around and it was a no buddy player.  I was so pissed, I think I sold the jersey for about a $100.  I think I have done 4 or 5 and the best I ever got was a Giordono jersey, before he was what he is today.  I will say this - I have never gotten back what I have put into it.  

Great, now I sound like Debbie Downer!

I think someone posted in a game worn FB group about last year where the grand prize was a red caps Ovie.  He opened his box to see a red caps jersey with the #8 showing and a name that started with an O.  He pulled it out and it was a caps #81 Orlov jersey.

lol now that's the ultimate tease.

Edited by Devilsguy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I think someone posted in a game worn FB group about last year where the grand prize was a red caps Ovie.  He opened his box to see a red caps jersey with the #8 showing and a name that started with an O.  He pulled it out and it was a caps #81 Orlov jersey.

lol now that's the ultimate tease.

tumblr_mi19y16WYg1qzquwto1_500.png

For me, I don't mind the gamble quite as much. I mean, yeah, there's a good chance that I'm going to get burned, but I don't buy gamers nearly as often as the rest of you and this is a once-a-year thing, unless, of course, I go to the Expo next year.

31 minutes ago, khabbi said:

This is my first one, so I'm optimistic.

Ask me in a few weeks how I feel once the most likely turd jersey arrives.  :P

Did you mean "third jersey"?

No, you didn't.

?

1 hour ago, Flyers845 said:

This grab bag seems a little watered down. I mean ray emery is considered at the top?? 3 of the top jerseys are one game wonders. Pass 

Yeah the one-game wonder aspect is another part that kills it for me.  That Tyler Seguin is the best one of the lot IMO.

Do they ever do grab bags of just one team?  I would totally be down with that.  So, at least you're assured of getting a jersey from a team/player that you're interested in.

47 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Do they ever do grab bags of just one team?  I would totally be down with that.  So, at least you're assured of getting a jersey from a team/player that you're interested in.

Yeah the 2012 expo live grab bag was I believe all Devils.  Had 125 bags for $125 each (I erroneously said $150 each in an earlier post).  Top prize was a Parise 2012 finals white jersey IIRC.  The 90 or so "loser" bags were white or red Devils mid 90's ultrafil authentics.

http://www.gameworn.net/threads/2012-meigray-expo-live-grab-bag-win-zach-parises-white-stanley-cup-final-gamer.21642/#post-179890

12 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Did anyone who was there in person this year do the Grab Bag Draft? That was an interesting idea...

I was at the expo displaying but didn't participate in the grab bag.

I think there was a little less excitement this year for the grab bag than before.  The prizes were better than in years past but I think because when you walked in and you picked I guess an envelope that had your draft number, after that it was not a mystery.  Usually the 15 minutes the blind grab bag opening is one of the most exciting 15 minutes of the expo as you see people who are upset/disappointed and people who are celebrating.

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Yeah the 2012 expo live grab bag was I believe all Devils.  Had 125 bags for $125 each (I erroneously said $150 each in an earlier post).  Top prize was a Parise 2012 finals white jersey IIRC.  The 90 or so "loser" bags were white or red Devils mid 90's ultrafil authentics.

http://www.gameworn.net/threads/2012-meigray-expo-live-grab-bag-win-zach-parises-white-stanley-cup-final-gamer.21642/#post-179890

That I would have done. 

And I still would have wound up with something not my size I had to sell. 

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Oh, duh.  You did say that.  That's cool.  Even the loser jerseys would be nice to have!

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's just hitting me now...they had 90 mid 1990's Devils Ultrafils in 2012??

Yup lol no idea where they hid them for all those years.  I know Meigray used to have first pick of the old Devils equipment sales back when they were still at Continental Airlines Arena (equipment sales were in the football bubble next door for the Giants/Jets).  They used to buy up whatever they wanted before the public so they probably picked up a ton.

I know my white Ultrafil (MacLean) was purchased cheap from someone who got it in that very Grab Bag. I think it goes without saying that I would have been pretty psyched pulling that out of a grab bag, even as a "loser" prize. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I know my white Ultrafil (MacLean) was purchased cheap from someone who got it in that very Grab Bag. I think it goes without saying that I would have been pretty psyched pulling that out of a grab bag, even as a "loser" prize. 

I remember before that grab bag the price of blank Devils 90's ultrafils was often in the $200-300 range.  In the 1-3 months after the grab bag they were about $100-150 on eBay as it flooded the market lol.  Best time to pick them up.

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

$200-300?? Can't even sell a customized one for that these days...

$300 was the extreme end, but I remember seeing $200-250ish.  Seems like that Meigray grab bag did that market in lol.

1 hour ago, TheKevinShow said:

Ugh. It won't arrive until the 11th. 

Well, that sucks! I guess it pays to live an hour and a half away. I get my orders the next day ?

Edited by jsh139