London Knights Accused of Auctioning Off Fake Game Worn Jersey(s)

Devilsguy

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I don't think it's particularly rational to bid early and high on a bunch of jerseys (what if you win them all?), but I can imagine it happening.  People on FB certainly get cranked up over some of the specialty versions, and that's just the tiny slice of a given team's fanbase. 

It is and all you need is one person who is completely new to eBay (they do exist) and who went to the game and just want an expensive souvenir and they cause havoc on the auctions.

However if my team went from online auctions to eBay, I would be more worried/concerned about sniping.  I hate that part the most about eBay and that would be the part that would kill me on those.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I don't think it's particularly rational to bid early and high on a bunch of jerseys (what if you win them all?), but I can imagine it happening.  People on FB certainly get cranked up over some of the specialty versions, and that's just the tiny slice of a given team's fanbase. 

FWIW, the Milwaukee Admirals did a full-online auction for the first time earlier this month. The bidding pattern made no sense, but I knew the bidders so it wasn't being shilled.  One person that I know of was winning 6 going into the final 3 hours, and another person ended up winning 2.

As Confucius once said "It is better to have the highest bid for only 1 second than for 7 days, if it is in the last second."

for a season ticket holder you would understand that they wore that style only 6 times that season. All jerseys are tagged with a mem cup patch when the team makes it that far. I don't know why they do this but they do patch all the jerseys. So I can understand that he had a suspicion because it wasn't worn a lot but with further investigation he would have saw it was worn that season. As for French he knows the knights have faked jerseys and sold them but still decides to purchase them? Also he is trying to flip jerseys from the last auction after this accusation of being fake? It doesn't make any sense. 

Reading this has me worried about what was delivered to my house today...f*$k. 

9 hours ago, khabbi said:

what a crazy story!  $100K is ridiculous and will get thrown out.  But it sure makes it look sexy for the media.  

The collector who sued over the Marner eventually settled a couple months ago.  He got the real jersey from the HHOF along with I think attorney's fees (could be wrong) and not the $100K he was asking.  He said he was happy with the outcome.

30 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

The collector who sued over the Marner eventually settled a couple months ago.  He got the real jersey from the HHOF along with I think attorney's fees (could be wrong) and not the $100K he was asking.  He said he was happy with the outcome.

There was no basis for his claim for $100k, that was bound to fail. But that's how lawsuits work, if you sued for what you were looking for, settlement becomes impossible unless the other side gives up. 

Getting the jersey he paid for, plus his attorneys fees back, makes him whole, which is all you get in a lawsuit over property. 

I don't understand what the point of selling the non-worn jerseys was.  What are they doing with the actual GW jerseys, then?  I mean, its not like they could sell them later on.  That would be noticed.  It doesn't make sense.

8 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I don't understand what the point of selling the non-worn jerseys was.  What are they doing with the actual GW jerseys, then?  I mean, its not like they could sell them later on.  That would be noticed.  It doesn't make sense.

Apparently donating/lending them to the HHOF in this instance. 

9 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Players might want them, owners might keep them. There are cases of teams that never sell anything but use them for their charity auctions. There are lots of possibilities.