[delete]

Why chance putting wear on the tags 

Cut em off and spend a little to put them back on later 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garments-Price-Label-Tag-Gun-plus-1000-2-barbs-and-1-spare-needle-/112140790595?hash=item1a1c1cab43:g:cBcAAOSwUuFWz1Gy

I've bought jerseys that were never worn / New With Tags, that smell like smoke from being displayed in a bar or a smokers den

I've got no problem poppin' the tags - giving it a wash, putting tags back on and considering it never worn. 

I get what you are saying if the jersey is worn but if there are no signs of wear how would a buyer even know? 

14 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I've bought jerseys that were never worn / New With Tags, that smell like smoke from being displayed in a bar or a smokers den

I've got no problem poppin' the tags - giving it a wash, putting tags back on and considering it never worn. 

I get what you are saying if the jersey is worn but if there are no signs of wear how would a buyer even know? 

They wouldn't, I suppose. That doesn't make it any less dishonest. If you're cool with lying to people just to get a better price because they can't figure it out, then go for it. 

Personally, I just tell people it was worn. There's never been a single time I paid more for a jersey with tags, anyway. 

I don't misrepresent anything I sell nor do I wear my jerseys. 

If you look back at any deals I've made with board members or anyone else for that matter - they 100% are happy with my dealings. 

All I was trying to do in this thread was help somebody with their question and offer a different solution - not judge anyone for what they do.

Who said this guy is selling anyways? 

There is far too much criticism when a new collector posts a question. I am trying to encourage collectors as it only helps us all. 

You just said you had no problem taking the tags off a jersey, wearing it, washing it, and then considering it never worn. How that reconciles with not wearing your jerseys, I'm not sure. And you may never have misrepresented anything, but you just said you had no problem doing so. 

And ok, I took the leap from his wanting to keep the tags on a jersey to him selling it, that's fine, that's on me. But I think it's only logical that he's trying to maintain the item's "new with tags" value, by misrepresenting that the item is "new with tags" when it's just "used with tags", or in your scenario "used with reattached tags". 

It'd be like rolling back the odometer on your car before you sell it (or if not selling, say, having its value appraised) and saying it doesn't matter if it has 10,000 or 100,000 miles, it still runs fine and nobody can tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well this took a salty turn rather quickly...

To those saying I'm selling or would sell down the road, wrong assumption. If I did sell, certainly would not call it NEW with tags. I'm not a dishonest .

If you wear a jersey around but keep it in good condition and do eventually want to sell, I imagine some people would see the value if having the original tags attached even if pre-worn. 

But I appreciate the welcome and serious reply, Bob. I know it was a bit of an odd question.

Edited by Skubie-Doo

13 hours ago, Skubie-Doo said:

I imagine some people would see the value if having the original tags attached even if pre-worn.

Would you pay more for a used car because the original owner never took the window sticker off?

Nobody is selling anything nor have they listed anything, implied that they were thinking of selling anything. 
Let the "selling" thing go

A new member asked about tags, 
I replied

Everybody reach back and get the wedgie outa their butt crack and move on. 

Good god! 

The desire to leave the tags on stems from one thing; trying to maintain the value of the jersey above what a normal used jersey without the tags. 

Your "guidance" for the new member was how to reattach removed tags, which would only be done to pass the jersey off as somehow being better or more valuable. 

Unless, of course, you plan on telling everyone it's worn and the tags were removed and reattached. I'm pretty confident most people would just leave that out and just "consider it new" as you said.

Perhaps doling out advice to new members on how to be a fraud isn't the best for our little community. 

To answer OP's question, I've never considered it.  Just like every other item of clothing I've ever purchased, I take the tags off the first time I wear the jersey, beyond trying it on for fit.  I've held on to some of the cooler looking tags for a while (I loved the old Center Ice tag), but I never wore it with tags on.

To chime in on the rest of it, "Used With Tags" isn't a thing, nor is "I wore it and it's as good as new so I put the tags back on."  Think we're being nitpicky?  Go to the mall and buy a shirt.  Remove the tags and wear the shirt for a day.  (If you sweat in it, just wash it.  After all, it'll look good as new once it's clean!)  Using your tag gun, un-pop the tags and return to the store.  Now, explain exactly what you did, and state that you want to return the shirt for a refund.  Repeat, that in your impartial judgment, the shirt looks brand new.  It's not gonna happen.  You bought it, you wore it, you can't return it as new... because it's now used. 

You wanna keep the tags in a baggie and include the baggie when you sell a jersey?  Fine.  But don't put them back on.  You wanna wear a jersey with the tags still on it?  Fine.  But don't even think of passing that jersey off as new.