The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

I figured this would be a good place to discuss this. I can't be the only one noticing how awful the market is right now. Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on? I feel like it's been really bad as of late.

Here's some of my personal experiences. I've been selling stuff on eBay and Facebook over the last couple weeks. Haven't sold a thing on Facebook and eBay has been ridiculously bad. For example, a few jerseys ending for $130 when back in May I sold the same style Phantoms jersey and it went for $200+. I also sell some action figures and they routinely were getting $20-30 for an out of package collectible. Over the last couple weeks I've been lucky to see some go for more than $10, one ended last night for $1 even. At that point it's not even worth it. I also bought a pair of Del Zotto game worn gloves back in July for $85. The seller purchased them from Steiner for $199 and they still had the Steiner hologram on them. They ended last night on eBay for $30. 

This isn't me complaining and I'm only posting this to start a discussion and see if anyone else has noticed the downward trend in the jersey hobby or anything else. It's a great time to buy, that's for sure. 

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait until the season gets back into full swing.  Collectors like us buy crap all year long, but "Normies" usually only throw their money at stuff during the hockey season, especially when their team is hot. 

Just now, thebiggoalie said:

Just wait until the season gets back into full swing.  Collectors like us buy crap all year long, but "Normies" usually only throw their money at stuff during the hockey season, especially when their team is hot. 

Do you think that is it though? I browse a few forums and all I see are posts about the hobby being dead and people not buying. The action figure hobby is awful right now. I got out at the right time I guess. I looked at my PayPal statement and added up sales from the action figures I sold in April, it totaled close to $3,000. They were averaging $35 a piece. Now they seem to average $5. The people on that forum are freaking out haha.

11 minutes ago, flyhighguys94 said:

Do you think that is it though? I browse a few forums and all I see are posts about the hobby being dead and people not buying. The action figure hobby is awful right now. I got out at the right time I guess. I looked at my PayPal statement and added up sales from the action figures I sold in April, it totaled close to $3,000. They were averaging $35 a piece. Now they seem to average $5. The people on that forum are freaking out haha.

Well Kurt, according to eBay, all you sell is knockoffs anyway. ;)

I think the gameworn market is experiencing a secondary market slowdown. My thoughts are that there have been a few big auctions recently coupled with it being the off-season. Additionally, I think a lot of new collectors may not spend as much in a single purchase. Ex) They would rather have three jerseys for $900 than one for that price. I think we are still in a period of economic uncertainty, to put it nicely. People may not be spending as much as usual?

I have a couple items for sale and have received no bites. I have Sergei Gonchar's final NHL jersey with Jean Beliveau memorial patch that is photomatched to final NHL point, game, assist for $575. He is a borderline HHOF'er and nothing.  I have a goal puck from Steve Konawalchuk with assists to Steve Moore (First NHL point - yes the bertuzzi incident Moore) and Teemu Selanne for $99 and nothing.

I have two others for $45 and one of them was used by Connor McDavid to complete two passes and....radio silent.  Hopefully once the season starts, things will get better.

I've noticed a lot of the big block CCM era jerseys are drying up. 

I'm thinking since I've gone back to the well on eBay and keep coming up dry that those are in collectors hands and they aren't selling.

I'm wondering where the next best place will be to buy and sell them.. 

20 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I've noticed a lot of the big block CCM era jerseys are drying up. 

I've been wondering if others had similar experiences with these jerseys.  My comment here pertains only to Kings 90's ultrafils, which I used to see routinely on eBay, and I could get for $50 - $90 or so.  More recently, I haven't found more than one reasonably-priced white blank (or even a strippable lettered one) in the past 2 years!  I still have a kit sitting here for nearly 2 years for want of a jersey to put it on.  There are some for sale, but they always seem to be (mostly inaccurately) customized Gretzkys for which the sellers are asking $300 - 400, which seems ridiculous to me, and I don't think I'm just being cheap here.

I follow big block CCM Leafs and same with those.  You could routinely find them for around $75 all in and now they seem to go for $125 +.  Also, finding one in perfect or near perfect condition is nearly impossible.  

That's great news for hoarders such as myself but I rarely sell anything

Not married and have no kids so one day all my stuff is gonna be a heck of a find at goodwill 

Going back to the original post.  The market is just going through a slow period right now.  Hopefully once we get a few months into the season it will pick up a little.  

I don't know about you guys, but I've been buying s*** left and right.  

You can't blame me for not doing my part! 

I've been buying but can't sell to save my life. Thankfully I don't need the money and can be patient about things, but it's still frustrating. It's more about not having the space anymore.

35 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

I've been buying but can't sell to save my life. Thankfully I don't need the money and can be patient about things, but it's still frustrating. It's more about not having the space anymore.

Same here. It would be nice to have the cash when my PayPal credit purchases come due, so hopefully things pick up once the season starts.

It does pick up during the season, but in my experience it has been worse this past offseason. Certain items used to be cash in the bank and are now not selling even at reduced prices. 

26 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I *try* not to buy anything on credit I wouldn't buy with cash.  I could pay it off today if I had to.  But I figure if they offer a deferred payment option, why not take it.

Exactly what I do. 6 months to pay, I generally pay around the 2 1/2 month mark. Sometimes I wait the full 6. But could always pay immediately if I had to. 

hey guys,

agree with the majority of all the opinions and messages posted here. it definitely is a buyers market, but it feels like its been this way for the last 5 years or so. or maybe its just me.

i dunno about hockey jerseys, but ive been selling nfl authentics and game used jerseys, and its been a slow and steady sale. my last sale, i managed to sell a game worn patriots jersey for 700 euros. so there definitely is a market out there for jerseys, just be patient is all i can say.

As far as I concern the omnipresent Reebok Edge fakes are a heavy reason for the price decline. A.) A lot of people are either simply to ignorant recognizing that they're buying a knock-off for $40 and stay away from normal priced authentics or B.) are simply happy buying a knock-off for cheap and also stay away from authentics.

In pre-Edge times you simply had to pay the price to get the real deal and now people, who are not into collecting like us, have the option to choose.

There was a blank Hershey Bears edge 2.0 that ended on eBay early Saturday morning. The guy had it ending around 2:30 am which definitely affected his sale but when I went to bed it was only at $66. This was a brand new alternate from the 15/16 season. They haven't even been on the market a full year. I fell asleep without bidding and of course woke up at 3am and was shocked to see it sold for $79. There's no deals on the Bears authentics at Giant Center, that sucker cost $300. $79 is just awful. I don't get it 

Last month I purchased a Nike Elite Chicago Bears jersey for $7. Sure, it was a Julius Peppers jersey and there's was a little smudge on the jersey, which was mentioned in the ad, but that was gone after one wash. And were you the one that sold the authentic Isles Streit on eBay Kurt? The final price of about $24 was also insane. 

It's true that the market is slow, trades are almost the only option.

From what I have experienced most casual sports fans do not wear authentic jerseys.  Very few hockey fans actually have a legit on ice jersey and even less have multiple sweaters in their collection. It takes a true fan of the sweater and the game to own one jersey, let alone 2,5,10+  

The fake craze over the past two decades definitely has taken effect. Walk into any arena and you will see 30-50% saturation of bootleg jerseys. It's sad but the extreme majority of people could care less that their jersey is fake. They would rather have $250 in their pocket.

Patience and timing are key when you decide to sell. Being able to know when to take a loss is imparative. Sometimes you need to realize that just because you paid X or retail is X doesn't mean you can sell it for X. 

I don't think the weak CDN dollar can be overlooked in this too. That certainly has an effect. But yea, this goes way back, at least 6 months or so now, of a really slow period where things aren't moving, even at deeply discounted prices. I can't sell the things I'm trying to get rid of without losing my shirt.

Just a reminder to the US based sellers.  Do not opt into that global shipping program garbage.  Having that active essentially Canadian buyers from touching your stuff.