The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Devilsguy said:

Yup they give you priority boxes for free.  You just have to order them online and they arrive in usually about a week or so.  Only catch is that they must ship via priority service as they are priority boxes.

Bastards.....the wife wouldn't be so annoyed with me keeping all these boxes if Canada Post gave them for free.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

Bastards.....the wife wouldn't be so annoyed with me keeping all these boxes if Canada Post gave them for free.

No, she'd be annoyed with the stacks of free Canada Post boxes you had everywhere. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, she'd be annoyed with the stacks of free Canada Post boxes you had everywhere. 

Yeah......you're right.....

That or I'd find something else to annoy the wife with

1 minute ago, HockeyMusic said:

Yeah......you're right.....

That or I'd find something else to annoy the wife with

Closet(s) full of jerseys always seem to work too. 

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Closet(s) full of jerseys always seem to work too. 

Yep....when we moved in to our house the first thing I unpacked was my jersey collection and put it in the spare walkin closet.

It has been there ever since.

29 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

Yep....when we moved in to our house the first thing I unpacked was my jersey collection and put it in the spare walkin closet.

The jersey collector's equivalent of peeing to mark your territory. Well done. 

Edited by mfitz804

Romney has binders full of women and we have closets full of jerseys.

On 12/20/2016 at 7:07 PM, HockeyMusic said:

Wait, they really don't have an equivalent service with the free boxes? That's legitimately surprising.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎21 at 1:31 PM, HockeyMusic said:

Yeah, I did that too in our first home.  Now in our second the wife got smart and block all use of the closets to hold jerseys.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

We all know the market really sucks. However, having listed a bunch of jerseys in the last month I am definitely seeing authentics being devalued at a greater loss than gamers. At least with some gamers I can get close to what I've paid. However, the authentics and blank GIs that I've customied have been getting no movement close to what I paid for them. 

Are these of NHL teams?  I know that I see a ton of certain NHL teams GI's and authentics all over the place and mostly for a fraction of the price.  I guess it's partially due from that as the supply has gone up.

4 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

We all know the market really sucks. However, having listed a bunch of jerseys in the last month I am definitely seeing authentics being devalued at a greater loss than gamers. At least with some gamers I can get close to what I've paid. However, the authentics and blank GIs that I've customied have been getting no movement close to what I paid for them. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Yeah, NHL teams, and particularly older ones. I sold a CCM Wild authentic that was customized for only $100 after it sat a while. I finally pulled another customized CCM after I just couldn't get any reasonable offers. Even the newer stuff isn't going for much.

Gamers on the other hand, it's not that drastic percentage-wise. 

Unless you buy game worn Rangers jerseys from Steiner

Everything thing seems down right now.  AuthenticJerseys on eBay sold a bunch of jerseys last night.  I was looking at all the Hawks customized jersey and none of them sold for over $200.  I didn't buy any as did really need that style, but it is just how things are right now.  Now if only they had this year's Winter Class jerseys for that price.

2 hours ago, spudrock512 said:

Everything thing seems down right now.  AuthenticJerseys on eBay sold a bunch of jerseys last night.  I was looking at all the Hawks customized jersey and none of them sold for over $200.  I didn't buy any as did really need that style, but it is just how things are right now.  Now if only they had this year's Winter Class jerseys for that price.

His auctions and blank jersey sales helped me fill a few holes in my collection. Most of the buy it now pricing was $175 for the Blackhawks stuff. He could fetch much more for these but appears to be dumping stock in a hurry. 

I have already seen the US retailers slashing the prices for Indio jerseys. Perhaps we are seeing the start of the Canadian retailers dumping their remaining stock? Baron penny auctions would pretty fun. 

Same thing that happened to replicas are happening to authentics.  Only this time the market is not that large to begin with and it is not getting any bigger as most fans would rather go the knockoff route than get an authentic.  When we sell authentics, it is most likely targeting jersey snobs like us who now have a couple of avenues to get our authentics.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

Same thing that happened to replicas are happening to authentics.  Only this time the market is not that large to begin with and it is not getting any bigger as most fans would rather go the knockoff route than get an authentic.  When we sell authentics, it is most likely targeting jersey snobs like us who now have a couple of avenues to get our authentics.

Correct. I just listed a bunch of authentics, and I already know there's about 10-15 people that might be interested in them at the prices I have set. I can name most of them by name. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct. I just listed a bunch of authentics, and I already know there's about 10-15 people that might be interested in them at the prices I have set. I can name most of them by name. 

At first scan I thought, "10-15 people interested already?  That's fantastic!"

oh, now it get it...

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

At first scan I thought, "10-15 people interested already?  That's fantastic!"

oh, now it get it...

Exactly. "Might" was the operative word. 

FYI you made that list. 

I posted a Devils gamer on eBay last week starting at $9.99 but with a reserve (it was in the $200-300 range).  Ended at just a little over $150 so it didn't sell.  Funny thing is with the exception of one bidder, the other bidders were the same exact ones who bid on my stuff every time when I use the same low price / reserve tactic and then drop off as soon as it gets into the $150-200 range.  Looking at all the bidders history I can see that they are all known flip artists.

Basically that is largely the state of the secondary market now that I have personally observed.  You either have flip artists waiting for rock bottom prices and the general public who watch Rick Harrison of Pawn stars screw over sellers too many times and think they can do that to me.

It's discouraging for sure.

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I posted a Devils gamer on eBay last week starting at $9.99 but with a reserve (it was in the $200-300 range).  Ended at just a little over $150 so it didn't sell.  Funny thing is with the exception of one bidder, the other bidders were the same exact ones who bid on my stuff every time when I use the same low price / reserve tactic and then drop off as soon as it gets into the $150-200 range.  Looking at all the bidders history I can see that they are all known flip artists.

Basically that is largely the state of the secondary market now that I have personally observed.  You either have flip artists waiting for rock bottom prices and the general public who watch Rick Harrison of Pawn stars screw over sellers too many times and think they can do that to me.

It's discouraging for sure.

I've noticed this as the biggest issue on my 7 day $0.99 auctions. I don't mind it at all cause if I put it out there in an auction like that and they want to win it and relist it for $450 obo for 14 months then be my guest. I certainly noticed a trend of them bidding though. I forget which user it is, I should go back and look but he bids on ever single auction I list for like $4.70 or something. The same price every time. I never really noticed it until I started looking at the bidding history. I had a good laugh. Unless I am missing something and it's a good tactic?

9 hours ago, flyhighguys94 said:

I've noticed this as the biggest issue on my 7 day $0.99 auctions. I don't mind it at all cause if I put it out there in an auction like that and they want to win it and relist it for $450 obo for 14 months then be my guest. I certainly noticed a trend of them bidding though. I forget which user it is, I should go back and look but he bids on ever single auction I list for like $4.70 or something. The same price every time. I never really noticed it until I started looking at the bidding history. I had a good laugh. Unless I am missing something and it's a good tactic?

I don't mind people flipping my stuff after they buy it from me if I sell it at a price I am comfortable with.  I just mentioned it as that is probably why they are bidding and why they stop after a certain price as it makes no sense for them to go higher.

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

For what it's worth, if you sell something in a pawn shop, you're asking to be screwed. 

Very true.  However everyone now thinks they are Rick Harrison and they treat eBay and FB as their personal pawn shop and try to bend people over to get every possible last dime in savings.  Funny thing is there is a story out there (and was repeated on a recent game worn radio show) about how someone once visited that Pawn shop in Vegas that Rick runs and they had a framed jersey for sale that they said was game worn when it obviously wasn't.  Guy pointed it out to them and they told him to leave lol.

13 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Very true.  However everyone now thinks they are Rick Harrison and they treat eBay and FB as their personal pawn shop and try to bend people over to get every possible last dime in savings.  Funny thing is there is a story out there (and was repeated on a recent game worn radio show) about how someone once visited that Pawn shop in Vegas that Rick runs and they had a framed jersey for sale that they said was game worn when it obviously wasn't.  Guy pointed it out to them and they told him to leave lol.

I had something similar happen to me when I went to a bar in NYC. The guy had a "Game Worn Ray Bourque" Bruins Pooh Bear jersey hanging up. Not only was it not game worn, it wasn't even an authentic, it was a replica. I pointed it out, and the owner yelled at me to leave.