The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

11 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Very true.  However everyone now thinks they are Rick Harrison and they treat eBay and FB as their personal pawn shop and try to bend people over to get every possible last dime in savings.  Funny thing is there is a story out there (and was repeated on a recent game worn radio show) about how someone once visited that Pawn shop in Vegas that Rick runs and they had a framed jersey for sale that they said was game worn when it obviously wasn't.  Guy pointed it out to them and they told him to leave lol.

They don't know any better, that's why on the show the answer is always "I know a little about ____, but I'd like to call a buddy of mine who knows everything there is to know about ____ to come check it out". 

My wife always makes fun of him. Guy comes in to sell an antique prosthetic leg from the 1800's, and without fail, Rick has a buddy who knows everything there is to know about antique prosthetic legs from the 1800's. 

As far as eBay goes, I don't begrudge the bargain hunters, because there are a ton of eBay sellers who post stuff just to get rid of it, and there are bargains to be had. They don't know which type of seller you are going in. 

Of course, there comes a point when after trying to score deals on 50-100 of your items, and never having been successful, that they should have figured it out. But it doesn't bother me, you're putting your item out there, those kinds of buyers are always gonna try. All you need to do is delete their message. 

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, CJ Matthews said:

I had something similar happen to me when I went to a bar in NYC. The guy had a "Game Worn Ray Bourque" Bruins Pooh Bear jersey hanging up. Not only was it not game worn, it wasn't even an authentic, it was a replica. I pointed it out, and the owner yelled at me to leave.

That's funny. Getting thrown out of the pawn shop is one thing, talking bad about their items can affect business. Getting thrown out of a bar for criticizing their decorations is something different. 

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They don't know any better, that's why on the show the answer is always "I know a little about ____, but I'd like to call a buddy of mine who knows everything there is to know about ____ to come check it out". 

My wife always makes fun of him. Guy comes in to sell an antique prosthetic leg from the 1800's, and without fail, Rick has a buddy who knows everything there is to know about antique prosthetic legs from the 1800's. 

As far as eBay goes, I don't begrudge the bargain hunters, because there are a ton of eBay sellers who post stuff just to get rid of it, and there are bargains to be had. They don't know which type of seller you are going in. 

Of course, there comes a point when after trying to score deals on 50-100 of your items, and never having been successful, that they should have figured it out. But it doesn't bother me, you're putting your item out there, those kinds of buyers are always gonna try. All you need to do is delete their message. 

I think the part that annoys me most is that if I put the same shirt that didn't sell at a low starting bid price but with a reserve on again as a BIN with a best offer, none of them reach out an offer me anything.  I am not mad really directly at them, but the fact that eBay is turning more and more into a flea market instead of an auction site and the only interest I get are from those looking for dirt cheap deals and not from those looking for at least a fair price.

I also had the reserve price at an amount that was lower than what I paid for the jersey less than a year ago by about 15%.  I don't think my price is really out of line just a soft market dominated by trash heap hunters.

1 hour ago, CJ Matthews said:

I had something similar happen to me when I went to a bar in NYC. The guy had a "Game Worn Ray Bourque" Bruins Pooh Bear jersey hanging up. Not only was it not game worn, it wasn't even an authentic, it was a replica. I pointed it out, and the owner yelled at me to leave.

I have seen instances before of listings on eBay where someone is selling a "game worn" jersey only to find out after asking questions that it was worn by the seller in his rec league.

Surprised what you saw was even a legit replica.  Usually the jerseys I seen hanging at sports bars such as Buffalo Wild Wings are knockoffs.

The bar I'm talking about is a well known bar in NYC that has a lot of sports memorabilia including hundreds of signed baseballs. If you're from this area you'll know what bar I'm talking about. Either way, the owner said he got the jersey from Ray Bourque himself, and was offended when I pointed out all the reasons that it wasn't actually game worn. He did however, happen to have a legit game worn Roszival Pens jersey from the Japan games in the back of the place.

4 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

The bar I'm talking about is a well known bar in NYC that has a lot of sports memorabilia including hundreds of signed baseballs. If you're from this area you'll know what bar I'm talking about. Either way, the owner said he got the jersey from Ray Bourque himself, and was offended when I pointed out all the reasons that it wasn't actually game worn. He did however, happen to have a legit game worn Roszival Pens jersey from the Japan games in the back of the place.

Haha either he is lying (player gave it to me is a common story) or an idiot if he thinks a replica with probably no wear at all was worn by him in that game.  I have heard many times of people who get jerseys from players thinking that because it came from the player that it was game worn and not some replica they found sitting around to give to a player.

I also think I know which bar you are talking about.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Ray gave it to him, considering all of the players and former players who come in and out of that bar and work with them on events, but it's definitely not a gamer lol

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Rebooting an old thread since it's appropriate. I am seeing a lot of nice customized 2.0s at bargain basement prices these days. This has to be correlated with the Adidas move. Gamers are still selling at a good clip but the customized jerseys and GIs, not so much. 

Agreed. I have some great stuff that previously would've been a very quick sell.  Not much doing with any of it. The 

I'm at a loss w/gamers. Most of the players I've focused on, have retired over the past 5 years.  You cannot buy or sell their stuff. I offer $250 for a Radek Dvorak and crickets. I try and sell one for $175 and crickets. I try to buy an Olli Jokinen for $500 and silence. I try and sell an Olli Jokinen for $350 and silence.

8 hours ago, jokinen12 said:

I'm at a loss w/gamers. Most of the players I've focused on, have retired over the past 5 years.  You cannot buy or sell their stuff. I offer $250 for a Radek Dvorak and crickets. I try and sell one for $175 and crickets. I try to buy an Olli Jokinen for $500 and silence. I try and sell an Olli Jokinen for $350 and silence.

It's the player/team combo.  If it is a Jokinen Panthers that ain't selling, then that's a bit of a head-scratcher.  If it is a Jokinen Jets or Predators, then I can kind of see that.  Buyers have always been picky and it seems to have gotten worse lately in that regard.

39 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

On the positive side ... the secondary market is making it harder for serial flippers to turn easy profits. I sold a pair of gamers earlier this spring to a flipper (before I became aware that that was his specialty) and watched him post them up again for double my price. I cringed at the thought of me selling too low on those jerseys. But of course, he's had to lower and lower the price of those jerseys back down to what I originally sold them for. I am not gloating but it just gave me reassurance that my price wasn't that far off from what the market will bear. 

It is always a good feeling when an unknown flipper fails in his efforts. 

15 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

It's the player/team combo.  If it is a Jokinen Panthers that ain't selling, then that's a bit of a head-scratcher.  If it is a Jokinen Jets or Predators, then I can kind of see that.  Buyers have always been picky and it seems to have gotten worse lately in that regard.

It could be, but you'd think there would be more available for sale. For Jokinen, I agree - Panthers should collect a premium. You'd be surprised though, his Jets will command a premium; Nashville not so much. But you also have the passionate Finnish fans that have them in their collections but are unwilling to sell and are buying current guys, instead of the recently retired

It just seems that when you offer more than perceived market value, no one is selling and when you try selling, for less than market, no one is buying. It's strange to see jerseys that you can't buy or sell.

Ebbs and flows though. There was a point where I couldn't sell a Straka Kings for $240, now I'm sure you'd get $400, easy. Kimmo Timonen's value has gone up.

I feel like commons of retired guys should be around $150-200. Commons of current guys are probably slightly higher $200-250.

• 2 months later...

How about a check-in on everybody's favorite non-Facebook related subject ... 

The more I watch Meigray post Reebok gamers to eBay, the more I realize the market is just awful for lesser name NHLers and minor leaguers in general. I know it's the off-season and we struggle to move stuff before October. However, Meigray is listing some jerseys over and over. I wonder if at some point they will start their auctions below $99. 

53 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

However, Meigray is listing some jerseys over and over. I wonder if at some point they will start their auctions below $99. 

I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice that some are getting relisted.  It does seem like they have an endless supply of low-end gamers.  How many guys could possibly have played for the Everblades, anyway?

Meigray has been doing this for some time now.  I want to say almost a year possibly?  For Devils it has mostly been TC jerseys of nobodies or lower end players form the 07/08 season through about 09/10 season (Fraser, Corrente, Havelid, etc).

There were some interesting jerseys though, like a few Hordichuk Oilers or a Tucker Avs. But indeed, most of the time it's useless and boring low-end stuff.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice that some are getting relisted.  It does seem like they have an endless supply of low-end gamers.  How many guys could possibly have played for the Everblades, anyway?

I do not know the answer, but legit-question. Are we sure that they aren't just different sets of the same player/color?

I dont know why MeiGray doesnt do another $100/$150 sale on their website. Avoid the ebay fees. Who cares if a few sit longer. In no industry will you a company be so willing to hold onto 10+ year inventory.

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

Which is why I think this is driving down the cost of a handful of jerseys. If it's not an Ovie or Stamkos, that middle tier of player gamers just isn't moving quickly. 

In my experience these jerseys have done little to affect my already tough to do sales.  People who buy them are already largely bargain bin hunters and anything above $200 is already out of their range.

For the middle tier jerseys, it's the huge availability of a lot of the newer stuff that is doing it.  Unless you got it for a steal, for Devils no matter the player the Edge-era is hard to move without taking some sort of a loss.  Pre-Edge is already a lot easier and 03-04 and previous is also much easier.  It also doesn't help that for the last 5 years the Devils have sucked so the players now are not exactly in demand either.  I see a lot more middling players from good teams like Nashville and Washington move quicker in terms of sales.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dr_Puck

I keep thinking about this topic since I can't get shti to sell these days. Our market is problematically oversaturated. I know a lot of us gripe about the Facebook groups and the general rudeness of some of the notice collectors. But it's ... too many jerseys on the market means too many deals to be had from too many desperate people who are willing to take a loss. Case in point, the recent World Cup of Hockey jerseys. There are just too many jerseys out there. 

Also see a lot of "leaving the hobby" and "limiting what I buy" posts from respected collectors.  While I think the "leaving the hobby" types will come back, it is indicative of the state of the hobby and by extension, the limited movement on the secondary market. 

I have had a problem of not being able to find anything to buy over the last month or so, and the stuff I have gotten before that are things that I bought just cause I thought I was getting a good deal and not necessarily something I've been searching for.

I'm not on Facebook and don't want to be - but what other options are out there other than here and eBay?

Not having bought a jersey in over a month has me twitching like a crackhead...I need my jersey fix!!!

Guest Dr_Puck

Ha, this thread is mirroring the jersey addiction thread. It's been 30 days since I purchased my last gamer. Really hoping to go the entire rest of 2017 without getting any NEW purchases (aside from trades). The economics are doing it ... I can only add so much when nothing is selling from my end.  

Edited by Dr_Puck

I was actually just talking about this last week privately with another collector.  I can't seem to sell stuff in general without taking a massive loss now.  I am fine with small hits, but jerseys that sold fairly quickly a year or two ago are now taking forever.  I have sold exactly 1 jersey since the start of the calendar year 2017 on eBay.  Even stuff I have best offer I have only received 1 offer for and it was for $100 on a jersey I am asking $400 or best offer on.

Groups are not much better either.  Have had better success on there, but not a whole lot.  The new stuff just doesn't move and some of the older, but pre-"vintage" items are getting priced down.

My recent problem has been, I can't find the stuff I really want, which means I buy stuff I only kind of want. Then I regret it, try to sell it, and inevitably take a loss on it. Stupid!!

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Even stuff I have best offer I have only received 1 offer for and it was for $100 on a jersey I am asking $400 or best offer on.

I had a buyer submit me $10, $15 and $20 offers (all within 3 minutes) on a EPS customized Devils 2.0 priced at $175. I guess he figured my auto-reject was set somewhere down around there. 

It wasn't.