The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My recent problem has been, I can't find the stuff I really want, which means I buy stuff I only kind of want. Then I regret it, try to sell it, and inevitably take a loss on it. Stupid!!

I had a buyer submit me $10, $15 and $20 offers (all within 3 minutes) on a EPS customized Devils 2.0 priced at $175. I guess he figured my auto-reject was set somewhere down around there. 

It wasn't. 

That has been my issue too.  There hasn't been much available I really want.  There are a couple of items on Meigray I am already eyeing for next year's Summer sale though.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

That has been my issue too.  There hasn't been much available I really want.  There are a couple of items on Meigray I am already eyeing for next year's Summer sale though.

Yeah but you have the patience to not make stupid purchases. :)

Too many people treat their jerseys as if they are investments. Aside from certain game worns, this is not the case, Even if they were investments, not all appreciate or even hold their value. Too many want to get back what they paid or make a profit. There is no logical reason that a used retail jersey should be worth more, or even as much, as it was when it was new; unless it is a particularly rare style. Same goes for game worn/issued jerseys of common players. My opinion is that too many here have unrealistic expectations.

7 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

Too many people treat their jerseys as if they are investments. Aside from certain game worns, this is not the case, Even if they were investments, not all appreciate or even hold their value. Too many want to get back what they paid or make a profit. There is no logical reason that a used retail jersey should be worth more, or even as much, as it was when it was new; unless it is a particularly rare style. Same goes for game worn/issued jerseys of common players. My opinion is that too many here have unrealistic expectations.

I agree but only to an extent.  I don't aim to make a profit and can take a loss.  However, to get offers of 1/3 of what I paid on a sub-$500 gamer is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

The game worn hobby these days seem to center around very high-end jerseys or bargain bin junk.  Anything in between is getting killed.

14 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I agree but only to an extent.  I don't aim to make a profit and can take a loss.  However, to get offers of 1/3 of what I paid on a sub-$500 gamer is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

The game worn hobby these days seem to center around very high-end jerseys or bargain bin junk.  Anything in between is getting killed.

I agree with both. I expect that I will take a loss on a retail jersey. But its less tolerable when you buy something, immediately regret it and put it up for sale, and then take a loss. 

I personally don't get offended by people submitting lowball offers on eBay, if anything I find it funny. I remember having one rare-ish authentic on eBay for $250 and I got an offer of $10. I countered at $249.99 and thanked the guy for giving me a good laugh. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with both. I expect that I will take a loss on a retail jersey. But its less tolerable when you buy something, immediately regret it and put it up for sale, and then take a loss. 

I personally don't get offended by people submitting lowball offers on eBay, if anything I find it funny. I remember having one rare-ish authentic on eBay for $250 and I got an offer of $10. I countered at $249.99 and thanked the guy for giving me a good laugh. 

Maybe it was the same guy that offered me $6 on a jersey I had listed for $250 about 2-3 years back.

16 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Maybe it was the same guy that offered me $6 on a jersey I had listed for $250 about 2-3 years back.

If so, he hasn't learned his lesson. 

Guest Dr_Puck
31 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

We should just close this thread down after this post. Perfect description of what's happening in the hobby. 

A while back I finally recognized that pretty much all hobbies are money sinks, and this one is no exception.  The slow expense trickle of shipping and patches.  The fact that putting a kit on a jersey does not increase a jersey's value by what you spent on the kit. (hey, just like home improvement!)  The resale penalty for having to be the first to own a new jersey design.  (hey, just like buying a new car!)  And I don't even get into specialty auctions...

After I realized this, I was a lot happier with my collection.  Every purchase decision now includes the question, "are you ok with not getting your money back on this?"  Sure, I still want to minimize my losses, but I was miserable when that was my primary concern. 

11 minutes ago, furiousd said:

A while back I finally recognized that pretty much all hobbies are money sinks, and this one is no exception.  The slow expense trickle of shipping and patches.  The fact that putting a kit on a jersey does not increase a jersey's value by what you spent on the kit. (hey, just like home improvement!)  The resale penalty for having to be the first to own a new jersey design.  (hey, just like buying a new car!)  And I don't even get into specialty auctions...

After I realized this, I was a lot happier with my collection.  Every purchase decision now includes the question, "are you ok with not getting your money back on this?"  Sure, I still want to minimize my losses, but I was miserable when that was my primary concern. 

Bingo. You summed it up perfectly.

3 hours ago, lhg39 said:

I am not saying that those $10 lowball offers on eBay aren’t ridiculous. They are. But so are many of the asking prices of the sellers.

That's true, and sometimes sellers are just taking a shot. I once offered $50 on a blank Trenton Devils ECHL jersey that was listed for $200. It was probably worth more than $50, but it was also not worth $200.

My offer was accepted nearly immediately. Of course, $50 was closer to FMV than $10 would have been. 

10 hours ago, lhg39 said:

Good post.

7 hours ago, furiousd said:

And this^^^

Agreed with everything posted. Hobby has definitely grown since I got into it a few years ago but, even with the new collectors everyone is looking for a steal cuz once upon a time they saw a similar jersey go for less than your “outrageous” asking price  

Only thing I will add is that sometimes it’s just a matter of timing. I’ve had jerseys listed for months with no action and then someone will BIN at asking price without even making an offer. But overall the market has become flooded for retail authentics. Don’t know the gamer market 

Guest Dr_Puck

Not that Facebook is home to reasonable behavior on the whole but there are signs there that the market is awful. I'm seeing a lot of good stuff stagnate and a few collectors trying to hit the eject button on the hobby. Normally I don't put too much stock into the "I'm out of the hobby" posts but there have been a handful of "I'm scaling back my collection and just looking to really focus" posts. 

Part of it is experiential, too many jerks in too many groups. But part of it is what we're observing here. Too many jerseys and too many of us who are taking losses because of that excessive supply. 

30 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Not that Facebook is home to reasonable behavior on the whole but there are signs there that the market is awful. I'm seeing a lot of good stuff stagnate and a few collectors trying to hit the eject button on the hobby. Normally I don't put too much stock into the "I'm out of the hobby" posts but there have been a handful of "I'm scaling back my collection and just looking to really focus" posts. 

Part of it is experiential, too many jerks in too many groups. But part of it is what we're observing here. Too many jerseys and too many of us who are taking losses because of that excessive supply. 

Been seeing a lot of that lately too.

About a month or two ago someone had a Dallas Stars Nieuwendyk for under $1K I believe and that still sat for a while.  Couldn't believe it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dr_Puck

Am I the only one who can't move anything? I have GIs, authentics, gamers. Some higher-end players and the scrubs. Just dead. Since late August, I have sold exactly two jerseys.  

No it's slow for all of us trying to sell I'd imagine.  I've been trying to move a handful of jerseys for a while now... granted they're not the most popular jerseys, but they aren't scrubs either (authentics).  Today was my first sale in a couple months and I ended up accepting half the offer price after including shipping for a buyer from the Czech Republic. It's low ball season on ebay for sure, if you're lucky enough to even get an offer.

Nah it is very slow for me too.  I just got an offer of $400 on an item I have listed at $1399.99 at the moment.  That's where things are in a nutshell these days.

My god nothing is selling right now.  I am having trouble getting $100 for a properly customized authentic jersey right now.  I'm afraid to start anything at $.99 because I feel like biding would stop so low I would end up selling a $200+ jersey for less then $50.  What is going on right now?  Maybe that is why I am not finding a whole lot for sale right now because no one wants to take the same hit everyone is taking right now.

52 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

My god nothing is selling right now.  I am having trouble getting $100 for a properly customized authentic jersey right now.  I'm afraid to start anything at $.99 because I feel like biding would stop so low I would end up selling a $200+ jersey for less then $50.  What is going on right now?  Maybe that is why I am not finding a whole lot for sale right now because no one wants to take the same hit everyone is taking right now.

I have two properly customized Edge jerseys up for $99 each right now. One is of a Hall of Famer. Crickets.

Guest Dr_Puck

My dry streak ended in a nice way this week with three gamers sold. However, my customized Edges aren't even getting watchers let alone sales.

Excluding trades, I have purchased one measly $25 replica since early September and my next purchase won't be until the end of December. I can't spend when I can't sell. 

Edited by Dr_Puck

On 11/3/2017 at 9:33 AM, spudrock512 said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned (haven't scrolled through the entire thread), but I think it has a lot to do with just how many fake jerseys are out there. While people like us can spot a fake 20 miles away, the average fan either can't or simply doesn't care. Either way, there are a lot of average fans out there who really think a "stitched jersey with fight strap" for $50 is the real deal and they stick to their guns when given every shred of proof otherwise. (I dealt with countless people when I worked in licensed sports retail who just thought I was trying to get a sale when I told them the truth about why "authentic jerseys" are so cheap online.) Thus, when they go looking on eBay for an authentic jersey, the thought of spending even $100 is blasphemous to them.