The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

For what it’s worth, I think the authentic market is struggling because of the gamer market.  With the large amount of game worn jerseys on the market from a large variety of sources, people can spend as little as $200/$300USD on a jersey worn by the guy they see on TV.  Sheer volume of game worns available has pushed the prices down a lot.  If buyers go that route they get an authentic jersey, 100% correct customisation, authentic patch if applicable and get to watch one of their teams guys play in it.  If all that can be bought for such a little amount, then are buyers going to spend the same cash or more on effectively a shop bought item?  I don’t think so, hence the low prices.

I appreciate this viewpoint doesn’t hold for top players as values are higher, but would a jersey worn by a 3rd or 4th liner appeal more than an authentic with the same top guys name on the back everyone else in the rink has? It does to me, so it must to other people too.  

The Canucks were selling all the leftover game worn jerseys from last season for $200CAD, of which most of course included the 100th patch. Considering it usually runs way more than that just to get an authentic blank, I think that’s where the slow secondary market in authentics stems from.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly I think the gamer market has little to nothing to do with the authentic market and vice versa.  While there is some overlap, authentic collectors are a bit of a different breed than gamer collectors and one has little influence over the other.

I think the fakes certainly have at least a little bit to do with it.  I also think the transition from Reebok to Adidas has made it harder for everyone as the average fan who is not a collector typically wants the latest and greatest.

In the gamer market, the biggest issue are the collectors themselves.  This is more than any dealer or team out there.

10 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Quite frankly I think the gamer market has little to nothing to do with the authentic market and vice versa.  While there is some overlap, authentic collectors are a bit of a different breed than gamer collectors and one has little influence over the other.

I think the fakes certainly have at least a little bit to do with it.  I also think the transition from Reebok to Adidas has made it harder for everyone as the average fan who is not a collector typically wants the latest and greatest.

In the gamer market, the biggest issue are the collectors themselves.  This is more than any dealer or team out there.

I can see how fakes would affect the authentic market, but not the gamer market. I can't imagine anyone out there is trying to decide between a game work jersey or a Chinese knockoff. Unless they thought those were the only options. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I can see how fakes would affect the authentic market, but not the gamer market. I can't imagine anyone out there is trying to decide between a game work jersey or a Chinese knockoff. Unless they thought those were the only options. 

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear and I meant the authentic market.

I can't even move any of my authentics I tried listing here for $99 each. I'm gonna take the plunge and list everything tonight for $0.99 on eBay. I'll run a 7 day auction and take whatever I can get. I just wanna move on. The market has destroyed this hobby for me. I've been collecting for almost 11 years now. All good things must come to an end I guess. I've also noticed a ton of game worn collectors posting their good-byes on the facebook group recently. 

Shameless plug, check my eBay page if you want some killer deals in the next week haha

I keep having the same feeling, then I go through everything to narrow it down to just the ones that I “really need”. 

Then I find reasons that I really need them all

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I keep having the same feeling, then I go through everything to narrow it down to just the ones that I “really need”. 

Then I find reasons that I really need them all

I never worried about it because if I bought something and then changed my mind (which happened all the time) I could move it for what I paid. Then it was moving a jersey for a $30-70 loss and now it's losing $100-200. I forgot about buying something at retail pricing, not even worth it anymore. This hobby was always self sustained and that probably made it 20x more fun lol. 

Guest Dr_Puck

The farewell posts on Facebook are indicative of a few things, the shttiy state of the market being one of them. We've talked about this before, too many people simply play the "what's in it for me" angle. I'd rather walk away from a decent jersey than deal with someone who is going to not be realistic ... or very interested in helping out a fellow collector.  

1 hour ago, flyhighguys94 said:

I never worried about it because if I bought something and then changed my mind (which happened all the time) I could move it for what I paid. Then it was moving a jersey for a $30-70 loss and now it's losing $100-200. I forgot about buying something at retail pricing, not even worth it anymore. This hobby was always self sustained and that probably made it 20x more fun lol. 

Definitely true, the loss you have to be willing to take has gotten larger. I used to not worry about price, now I’m only looking for bargains and vintage stuff. 

I just keep hoarding old big block CCM's when I can get them for a good price, I rarely sell anything and always regret selling even if I get a good price. 

I had dreams of keeping them until I retire and making my new hobby selling them but more than likely they'll turn up on this board as a heck of a find at goodwill 

I have also changed the way I collect. I used to get everything I thought was cool if I could afford it. Last summer, I sold anything I hadn't worn in a year and didn't have some kind of non-monetary value to me. I'm not getting out of the game, just putting an actual focus on my collection. IE: I want a Trevor Linden jersey from the 3 teams outside Vancouver he played for. Obviously some Reebok Edge jerseys are going to be a bit cheaper than usual with Adidas taking over the NHL (and hopefully prices keep going down). I already bit that temptation with a team issued Devils from MeiGray. 

Where collecting authentic jerseys has lost some luster for me, is seeing how many fans have fakes and walk around with their noses in the air, bragging about how they got such a great f***ing deal on an authentic jersey for $200 less than I paid. Instead of getting the "cool" type of comments on what I wear like I used to, I hear about how great of a deal they got from a buddy with an inside connection. 

Edited by Van67

What killed it for me a few years back was the False advertising authentics. It was about impossible to get made in canada Edges for some teams and the adidas situations isn’t helping my current situation. I just recently started filling a few holes in my Canes Collection and would like a few Edges here or there from other teams. I never got good value when I sold and I regret many that I sold when I stopped by a few years back. The prices for new “authentics” really killed it too. Don’t think there’s any reason a true Canada made authentic should be over 200 dollars customized when some off the older brands were better made for less. I know inflation has some to do with it.

Been trying to get into the trading foray on FB but it looks like it is a bust.  I guess it works better when your interests/wants are not narrow.  Plus I have gotten more offers to buy what I want to trade than actually trade.

44 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Been trying to get into the trading foray on FB but it looks like it is a bust.  I guess it works better when your interests/wants are not narrow.  Plus I have gotten more offers to buy what I want to trade than actually trade.

Ive seen that too.. .try selling? No one cares... ask for trade? People ask if you want to sell. Go figure.

After nothing for months, sold a couple jerseys last night with one more in the works.  Go figure lol.

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

After nothing for months, sold a couple jerseys last night with one more in the works.  Go figure lol.

I also suddenly sold two yesterday. Not that we're selling the same stuff, but it felt nice to move some stuff. 

If only I could sell the rest and I could save Christmas like when the Grinch returned the roast beast to its rightful owners. 

Guest Dr_Puck

The market has perked up, slightly. However, now I am realizing how bloody unfocused I've been over the last several years. The more I sell, the more I want to get rid of the random bits in my collection. 

Just sold another jersey and a pair of gloves.

Elias SCF gamer here I come!

58 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Considering Fanatics runs 30% off sales all the time and you can use Shoprunner for free shipping, it seems like the "actual" price of the new jerseys is at max 70% of MSRP.  That'd be my thinking if I were in the market for one, anyway.

What about ones that are actually customised using the thicket twill etc. I believe Fanatics only sells the pre-done Adidas ones. 

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Just sold another jersey and a pair of gloves.

Elias SCF gamer here I come!

Good luck, that’s the best Devils item available and we’ll all be after it. My first gamer, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Mcmanus said:

What about ones that are actually customised using the thicket twill etc. I believe Fanatics only sells the pre-done Adidas ones. 

I suppose a correctly-customized Indozero will have more appeal than one with a Fanatics kit.  That should make it a little easier to sell, but probably not for more money. 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I suppose a correctly-customized Indozero will have more appeal than one with a Fanatics kit.  That should make it a little easier to sell, but probably not for more money. 

I'd agree completely.  Most buyers just aren't going to care that much about the quality of the customization to pay more for a non-Fanatics kit.   Let's face it, most people are not like us.  If they were, they wouldn't have bought the IndoZeros in the first place.