The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

13 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

How long until Meigray's Cyber Monday jerseys end up being re-sold for double the original asking price? 

Listed for sale, maybe. But sold, in this market?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dr_Puck
47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Listed for sale, maybe. But sold, in this market?

Dear non Facebook user:
The more absurd the idea, the more likely it is to appear on a group. 

15 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

How long until Meigray's Cyber Monday jerseys end up being re-sold for double the original asking price? 

Good luck to those sellers then.  If they make any sort of profit on them then they should be doing cartwheels.

17 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Dear non Facebook user:
The more absurd the idea, the more likely it is to appear on a group. 

Maybe with a hyped up description?

"I'm selling this game worn jersey from player X. He was...........a draft pick."

:D

OK, I'm not going to say who this is, but there is an eBay member that has been known for flipping jerseys less than what he pays for them.  Here is a story with a jersey I bought from him, only to have him buy it back, and now has it back up for sale.

I bought a jersey from him for $75.00.  When I got it, it needed a little work, put on a nameplate, added sleeve numbers.  When done, it didn't really fit my collections as I already had an older version of the jersey.  So I listed if for sale.  The same person I purchased it from made an other and we settled on $125.00 for the jersey.  

He just posted the jersey up for sale on eBay for $110.00 buy-it-now.  This isn't like a couple months later, but he just got it back and the next day has it for sale.

If he wants to flip the jersey, I don't care, he can do what he wants - its his jersey now; but aren't you supposed to make a profit?  Just this one jersey, I have him in the red for $65.00.  Make a profit, buddy - you wont hurt my feelings.  I kind of feel bad, like I ripped him off somehow even though all I did what buy it and sell it back to him.

I do this by accident all the time. Its what happens when you get excited and overpay. 

Though, in your situation, at least try to get back the extra $10 and break even!

Also some people are just mail day whores.  They get a rush from posting mail days.

I also sold and shipped another jersey on Thursday.  Maybe things are looking up?

52 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Also some people are just mail day whores.  They get a rush from posting mail days.

I also sold and shipped another jersey on Thursday.  Maybe things are looking up?

Sounds like an emo/punk band name. 

Personally I just change my mind too quickly on what I am going to collect. I already have 3 jerseys at EPS that I know I don't really want/need, and I think I know what will happen next...

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Sounds like an emo/punk band name. 

Personally I just change my mind too quickly on what I am going to collect. I already have 3 jerseys at EPS that I know I don't really want/need, and I think I know what will happen next...

Which is ironic because I really only collect the Devils, but as we know, everything is different, player, number, year, manufacturer...

On 07/11/2017 at 10:16 AM, Devilsguy said:

Quite frankly I think the gamer market has little to nothing to do with the authentic market and vice versa.  While there is some overlap, authentic collectors are a bit of a different breed than gamer collectors and one has little influence over the other.

I think the fakes certainly have at least a little bit to do with it.  I also think the transition from Reebok to Adidas has made it harder for everyone as the average fan who is not a collector typically wants the latest and greatest.

In the gamer market, the biggest issue are the collectors themselves.  This is more than any dealer or team out there.

I'm slowly learning this new hobby and do value this jersey forum. But I guess that means by your post that I'm an "authentic" buyer. Since I do not have a particular interest in "game worn" jersey's since it wouldn't fit me nor would I be displaying most of my jersey's and or trading or selling back to the market.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dr_Puck

In talking to the OP on this thread today on Facebook, I realized that buying an NHL gamer from an original source is typically a problem. Whether it's Meigray or a team (looking specifically at the Kings haha), the original buyer is almost ways going to take a hit. Of course the same thing happens with authentics but getting a gamer into circulation just requires a huge investment. 

41 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

In talking to the OP on this thread today on Facebook, I realized that buying an NHL gamer from an original source is typically a problem. Whether it's Meigray or a team (looking specifically at the Kings haha), the original buyer is almost ways going to take a hit. Of course the same thing happens with authentics but getting a gamer into circulation just requires a huge investment. 

That's pretty much the trade-off.  You can snag jerseys at secondary market prices sometimes during the dealer's various sales, but if you buy from the source you gotta really love it.

Funny how I remember seeing plenty of collectors complain about Meigray's prices on Kings jerseys when they had them.  Now they are all wishing the Kings go back once they saw how much the Kings wanted since they started marketing the jerseys themselves.

7 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Funny how I remember seeing plenty of collectors complain about Meigray's prices on Kings jerseys when they had them.  Now they are all wishing the Kings go back once they saw how much the Kings wanted since they started marketing the jerseys themselves.

Meigray's prices are still too high on Kings jerseys.   Jerseys they sell for 1500  have a hard time getting half that on the secondary market. No modern jersey should be more than 1000 in my opinion. 

The Kings prices on their jerseys are ridiculous. However, it does not make me wish for Meigray's prices. I would much prefer the pricing to go back to the pre stanley cup winning prices. That is wishful thinking though . 

I do long for Meigray's customer service and transparency. That is second to none.  

I have never understood people’s insistence on getting their money back or making a profit when selling a jersey that they own. Jerseys are not art. As a friend of mine likes to point out, they are used clothing. Yes, game worn jerseys of stars are worth something, but common players, generally not so much, and retail authentics are indeed just used clothing. I buy what I do for the enjoyment that I get from it, just like going to a game. If I decide to sell something, It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  My opinion is that you should not be buying jerseys with plans to sell them and get your money back or more.

I never expect to get back what I paid if I bought the blank and did the customizing. But if I spend $150 on a “used” customized authentic, obviously I want to try to break even on that. 

If I paid $X, in theory someone else should also.  That doesn’t always work but it’s a good starting point. 

Guest Dr_Puck

I guess the same can apply to authentics. When you're the first person to buy a jersey from a primary source, you're going to take a hit (if you sell it down the road). I'm just thinking about getting jerseys into the market in the first place. Most of the biggest losses I've taken have been on gamers that I've purchased originally from someone like Meigray or a team. 

• 4 months later...
Guest Dr_Puck

Bumping my favorite thread with this observation: At this point we can conclude that the supply has far outpaced the demand in this market. Between GI, TI, EPS and Keener-done up blanks, training camp jerseys, more teams (especially in junior) making their jerseys accessible, military specialty, cancer specialty, etc. specialty, sets 1-3 and playoffs ... There's just too many jerseys out there compared to the number of interested buyers. I've had a couple of reasonably priced gamers on ebay and in the Facebook groups that I finally pulled after they just weren't getting any traction. The hobby is definitely at a turning point. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

The hobby is definitely at a turning point. 

That’s what she said. 

6 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

That’s what she said. 

It's fun, right? 

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

Bumping my favorite thread

supply has far outpaced the demand in this market.

There's just too many...out there compared to the number of interested buyers.

I finally pulled after they just weren't getting any traction. 

She said all of these!!