flyhighguys94

The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

302 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, jokinen12 said:

I'm at a loss w/gamers. Most of the players I've focused on, have retired over the past 5 years.  You cannot buy or sell their stuff. I offer $250 for a Radek Dvorak and crickets. I try and sell one for $175 and crickets. I try to buy an Olli Jokinen for $500 and silence. I try and sell an Olli Jokinen for $350 and silence.

It's the player/team combo.  If it is a Jokinen Panthers that ain't selling, then that's a bit of a head-scratcher.  If it is a Jokinen Jets or Predators, then I can kind of see that.  Buyers have always been picky and it seems to have gotten worse lately in that regard.

On the positive side ... the secondary market is making it harder for serial flippers to turn easy profits. I sold a pair of gamers earlier this spring to a flipper (before I became aware that that was his specialty) and watched him post them up again for double my price. I cringed at the thought of me selling too low on those jerseys. But of course, he's had to lower and lower the price of those jerseys back down to what I originally sold them for. I am not gloating but it just gave me reassurance that my price wasn't that far off from what the market will bear. 

39 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

On the positive side ... the secondary market is making it harder for serial flippers to turn easy profits. I sold a pair of gamers earlier this spring to a flipper (before I became aware that that was his specialty) and watched him post them up again for double my price. I cringed at the thought of me selling too low on those jerseys. But of course, he's had to lower and lower the price of those jerseys back down to what I originally sold them for. I am not gloating but it just gave me reassurance that my price wasn't that far off from what the market will bear. 

It is always a good feeling when an unknown flipper fails in his efforts. 

15 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

It's the player/team combo.  If it is a Jokinen Panthers that ain't selling, then that's a bit of a head-scratcher.  If it is a Jokinen Jets or Predators, then I can kind of see that.  Buyers have always been picky and it seems to have gotten worse lately in that regard.

It could be, but you'd think there would be more available for sale. For Jokinen, I agree - Panthers should collect a premium. You'd be surprised though, his Jets will command a premium; Nashville not so much. But you also have the passionate Finnish fans that have them in their collections but are unwilling to sell and are buying current guys, instead of the recently retired

It just seems that when you offer more than perceived market value, no one is selling and when you try selling, for less than market, no one is buying. It's strange to see jerseys that you can't buy or sell.

Ebbs and flows though. There was a point where I couldn't sell a Straka Kings for $240, now I'm sure you'd get $400, easy. Kimmo Timonen's value has gone up.

I feel like commons of retired guys should be around $150-200. Commons of current guys are probably slightly higher $200-250.

How about a check-in on everybody's favorite non-Facebook related subject ... 

The more I watch Meigray post Reebok gamers to eBay, the more I realize the market is just awful for lesser name NHLers and minor leaguers in general. I know it's the off-season and we struggle to move stuff before October. However, Meigray is listing some jerseys over and over. I wonder if at some point they will start their auctions below $99. 

53 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

However, Meigray is listing some jerseys over and over. I wonder if at some point they will start their auctions below $99. 

I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice that some are getting relisted.  It does seem like they have an endless supply of low-end gamers.  How many guys could possibly have played for the Everblades, anyway?

Meigray has been doing this for some time now.  I want to say almost a year possibly?  For Devils it has mostly been TC jerseys of nobodies or lower end players form the 07/08 season through about 09/10 season (Fraser, Corrente, Havelid, etc).

There were some interesting jerseys though, like a few Hordichuk Oilers or a Tucker Avs. But indeed, most of the time it's useless and boring low-end stuff.

Which is why I think this is driving down the cost of a handful of jerseys. If it's not an Ovie or Stamkos, that middle tier of player gamers just isn't moving quickly. 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice that some are getting relisted.  It does seem like they have an endless supply of low-end gamers.  How many guys could possibly have played for the Everblades, anyway?

I do not know the answer, but legit-question. Are we sure that they aren't just different sets of the same player/color?

I dont know why MeiGray doesnt do another $100/$150 sale on their website. Avoid the ebay fees. Who cares if a few sit longer. In no industry will you a company be so willing to hold onto 10+ year inventory.

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

Which is why I think this is driving down the cost of a handful of jerseys. If it's not an Ovie or Stamkos, that middle tier of player gamers just isn't moving quickly. 

In my experience these jerseys have done little to affect my already tough to do sales.  People who buy them are already largely bargain bin hunters and anything above $200 is already out of their range.

For the middle tier jerseys, it's the huge availability of a lot of the newer stuff that is doing it.  Unless you got it for a steal, for Devils no matter the player the Edge-era is hard to move without taking some sort of a loss.  Pre-Edge is already a lot easier and 03-04 and previous is also much easier.  It also doesn't help that for the last 5 years the Devils have sucked so the players now are not exactly in demand either.  I see a lot more middling players from good teams like Nashville and Washington move quicker in terms of sales.

I keep thinking about this topic since I can't get shti to sell these days. Our market is problematically oversaturated. I know a lot of us gripe about the Facebook groups and the general rudeness of some of the notice collectors. But it's ... too many jerseys on the market means too many deals to be had from too many desperate people who are willing to take a loss. Case in point, the recent World Cup of Hockey jerseys. There are just too many jerseys out there. 

Also see a lot of "leaving the hobby" and "limiting what I buy" posts from respected collectors.  While I think the "leaving the hobby" types will come back, it is indicative of the state of the hobby and by extension, the limited movement on the secondary market. 

I have had a problem of not being able to find anything to buy over the last month or so, and the stuff I have gotten before that are things that I bought just cause I thought I was getting a good deal and not necessarily something I've been searching for.

I'm not on Facebook and don't want to be - but what other options are out there other than here and eBay?

Not having bought a jersey in over a month has me twitching like a crackhead...I need my jersey fix!!!

Ha, this thread is mirroring the jersey addiction thread. It's been 30 days since I purchased my last gamer. Really hoping to go the entire rest of 2017 without getting any NEW purchases (aside from trades). The economics are doing it ... I can only add so much when nothing is selling from my end.  

Edited by Dr_Puck

I was actually just talking about this last week privately with another collector.  I can't seem to sell stuff in general without taking a massive loss now.  I am fine with small hits, but jerseys that sold fairly quickly a year or two ago are now taking forever.  I have sold exactly 1 jersey since the start of the calendar year 2017 on eBay.  Even stuff I have best offer I have only received 1 offer for and it was for $100 on a jersey I am asking $400 or best offer on.

Groups are not much better either.  Have had better success on there, but not a whole lot.  The new stuff just doesn't move and some of the older, but pre-"vintage" items are getting priced down.

My recent problem has been, I can't find the stuff I really want, which means I buy stuff I only kind of want. Then I regret it, try to sell it, and inevitably take a loss on it. Stupid!!

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Even stuff I have best offer I have only received 1 offer for and it was for $100 on a jersey I am asking $400 or best offer on.

I had a buyer submit me $10, $15 and $20 offers (all within 3 minutes) on a EPS customized Devils 2.0 priced at $175. I guess he figured my auto-reject was set somewhere down around there. 

It wasn't. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My recent problem has been, I can't find the stuff I really want, which means I buy stuff I only kind of want. Then I regret it, try to sell it, and inevitably take a loss on it. Stupid!!

I had a buyer submit me $10, $15 and $20 offers (all within 3 minutes) on a EPS customized Devils 2.0 priced at $175. I guess he figured my auto-reject was set somewhere down around there. 

It wasn't. 

That has been my issue too.  There hasn't been much available I really want.  There are a couple of items on Meigray I am already eyeing for next year's Summer sale though.

9 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

That has been my issue too.  There hasn't been much available I really want.  There are a couple of items on Meigray I am already eyeing for next year's Summer sale though.

Yeah but you have the patience to not make stupid purchases. :)

Too many people treat their jerseys as if they are investments. Aside from certain game worns, this is not the case, Even if they were investments, not all appreciate or even hold their value. Too many want to get back what they paid or make a profit. There is no logical reason that a used retail jersey should be worth more, or even as much, as it was when it was new; unless it is a particularly rare style. Same goes for game worn/issued jerseys of common players. My opinion is that too many here have unrealistic expectations.

7 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

Too many people treat their jerseys as if they are investments. Aside from certain game worns, this is not the case, Even if they were investments, not all appreciate or even hold their value. Too many want to get back what they paid or make a profit. There is no logical reason that a used retail jersey should be worth more, or even as much, as it was when it was new; unless it is a particularly rare style. Same goes for game worn/issued jerseys of common players. My opinion is that too many here have unrealistic expectations.

I agree but only to an extent.  I don't aim to make a profit and can take a loss.  However, to get offers of 1/3 of what I paid on a sub-$500 gamer is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

The game worn hobby these days seem to center around very high-end jerseys or bargain bin junk.  Anything in between is getting killed.

14 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I agree but only to an extent.  I don't aim to make a profit and can take a loss.  However, to get offers of 1/3 of what I paid on a sub-$500 gamer is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

The game worn hobby these days seem to center around very high-end jerseys or bargain bin junk.  Anything in between is getting killed.

I agree with both. I expect that I will take a loss on a retail jersey. But its less tolerable when you buy something, immediately regret it and put it up for sale, and then take a loss. 

I personally don't get offended by people submitting lowball offers on eBay, if anything I find it funny. I remember having one rare-ish authentic on eBay for $250 and I got an offer of $10. I countered at $249.99 and thanked the guy for giving me a good laugh. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with both. I expect that I will take a loss on a retail jersey. But its less tolerable when you buy something, immediately regret it and put it up for sale, and then take a loss. 

I personally don't get offended by people submitting lowball offers on eBay, if anything I find it funny. I remember having one rare-ish authentic on eBay for $250 and I got an offer of $10. I countered at $249.99 and thanked the guy for giving me a good laugh. 

Maybe it was the same guy that offered me $6 on a jersey I had listed for $250 about 2-3 years back.

16 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Maybe it was the same guy that offered me $6 on a jersey I had listed for $250 about 2-3 years back.

If so, he hasn't learned his lesson. 

31 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

We should just close this thread down after this post. Perfect description of what's happening in the hobby.