flyhighguys94

The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

229 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, jokinen12 said:

I'm at a loss w/gamers. Most of the players I've focused on, have retired over the past 5 years.  You cannot buy or sell their stuff. I offer $250 for a Radek Dvorak and crickets. I try and sell one for $175 and crickets. I try to buy an Olli Jokinen for $500 and silence. I try and sell an Olli Jokinen for $350 and silence.

It's the player/team combo.  If it is a Jokinen Panthers that ain't selling, then that's a bit of a head-scratcher.  If it is a Jokinen Jets or Predators, then I can kind of see that.  Buyers have always been picky and it seems to have gotten worse lately in that regard.

On the positive side ... the secondary market is making it harder for serial flippers to turn easy profits. I sold a pair of gamers earlier this spring to a flipper (before I became aware that that was his specialty) and watched him post them up again for double my price. I cringed at the thought of me selling too low on those jerseys. But of course, he's had to lower and lower the price of those jerseys back down to what I originally sold them for. I am not gloating but it just gave me reassurance that my price wasn't that far off from what the market will bear. 

39 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

On the positive side ... the secondary market is making it harder for serial flippers to turn easy profits. I sold a pair of gamers earlier this spring to a flipper (before I became aware that that was his specialty) and watched him post them up again for double my price. I cringed at the thought of me selling too low on those jerseys. But of course, he's had to lower and lower the price of those jerseys back down to what I originally sold them for. I am not gloating but it just gave me reassurance that my price wasn't that far off from what the market will bear. 

It is always a good feeling when an unknown flipper fails in his efforts. 

15 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

It's the player/team combo.  If it is a Jokinen Panthers that ain't selling, then that's a bit of a head-scratcher.  If it is a Jokinen Jets or Predators, then I can kind of see that.  Buyers have always been picky and it seems to have gotten worse lately in that regard.

It could be, but you'd think there would be more available for sale. For Jokinen, I agree - Panthers should collect a premium. You'd be surprised though, his Jets will command a premium; Nashville not so much. But you also have the passionate Finnish fans that have them in their collections but are unwilling to sell and are buying current guys, instead of the recently retired

It just seems that when you offer more than perceived market value, no one is selling and when you try selling, for less than market, no one is buying. It's strange to see jerseys that you can't buy or sell.

Ebbs and flows though. There was a point where I couldn't sell a Straka Kings for $240, now I'm sure you'd get $400, easy. Kimmo Timonen's value has gone up.

I feel like commons of retired guys should be around $150-200. Commons of current guys are probably slightly higher $200-250.